So you have been Custom Fitted. What next?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son has come into some money and fancies getting custom fitted for his irons. He can see the price for the fitting from a reputable club pro but what neither of know is what happens next. They give him the sheet with all of the sizes, shafts, lofts etc, then what?

Can he give a limit, say £500, and ask whether they would fit him for last years irons that have depreciated to that level, or are you always tied to getting the latest models?

Forget the fitting price, what is the likely or average price for clubs that have been fitted? I am assuming it is different to the headline figures that you see on an AG / Clubhouse Golf website for example but how different?

Numbers would be appreciated as a guide. If anyone is embarrassed about putting a number up then please pm me, I will not repeat it on the site or quote it to your wife, husband, partner etc :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Go and speak to the pro and see what he can offer

Anytime I have been fit I have gone to the pro , we have tried some irons , I have picked a set and then be fit for them

You can go to some places and get a custom fit who then give you your details and then you can order any set from those details

And the cost will be determined by the irons being picked

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He wants to avoid being fitted, getting excited and then finding the bill to be £1,000. He wants an idea of whether it is feasible or whether it is something to do in a few more years. The budget is not limitless.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I would go to two or three AG stores - get fitted at all three - decide what he wants - then shop around for the best deal knowing his specs

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends, not a great answer but there you go.

Depends what brand, who fits you, what model etc

For instance if you go for Mizuno and go to one of their dealers then the custom fitting is free and you will be paying the sticker price on their website.

You could speak to a club builder like Designer Golf, give Steve your budget and ask him some questions he's very good as giving honest advice. If he cannot do it he will tell you where you can.

Without knowing his handicap, club preference and budget it's a bit difficult to give you any more detail

D

Deleted member 15344

He wants to avoid being fitted, getting excited and then finding the bill to be £1,000. He wants an idea of whether it is feasible or whether it is something to do in a few more years. The budget is not limitless.

Most of the prices you see on the AG websites and places like Clubhouse will be the ballpark figure

My recent customs fit for just irons - 3-PW was just over £1k

The best person to speak to is a pro - tell the pro his budget and the Pro can see what he can be fit for

Titleist irons sets are around 700-800
Srixon - around £600
TM - from 700-1000
Callaway - the same as TM
Wilson staff - £500-700
Ping - £600-700
Cobra £600 - 800
Mizuno £600-£1000

The prices will be on the labels at the clubs shops or internet

There should be no hidden costs - just ask

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers folks. That was what I was looking for. It is the no hidden cost bit, no surprises. He, and I, didn't want to look like idiots after what should be a fun thing to do.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
The only thing I would say about AG is that they have all brands - all my local pros have maybe two and they all want a £60 fitting fee

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Keep an eye out at local clubs, as some have Brand Fitters come and do fitting events.

I play Srixon clubs and they have a fitting Van that travels all around the country (which is free), this includes Cleveland products. http://www.srixon.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-Srixon-UK-Site/en_GB/Events-Find

Equally, look at which clubs your son can afford and look to get them fitted. No point going to get fitted for some Titleist's when you know well in advance you can't afford them.
AG is a little bit hit and miss reading on here, so its not a bad idea going and having a hit in store (its free after all) and trying a range of clubs, at the end you have no need to buy.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can he give a limit, say £500, and ask whether they would fit him for last years irons that have depreciated to that level, or are you always tied to getting the latest models?

Any club pro is going to be able to fit you for a set. One option would be to pick up a deal on last years set from the internet then go to a pro and he will fit them for you. Only thing is you will have to pay per club to get the lie angle changed and if you need the length changing your going to have to pay for new grips as he will have to remove them, if he can't get them off without damaging them.

Getting them from the manufacturer fitted for free will require you buying the latest models.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Mizuno are currently offering any shaft and any grip at no additional charge.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For my irons fitting I went to an independent fitter who had most makes. I ended up with some Pings for exactly the same price for an off the peg set from AG. I had nonstandard shafts and grips done all in the price and the fitting was free, plus he also regripped my woods/ hybrids with the same grips for £5 each.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Any club pro is going to be able to fit you for a set.
Couldn’t disagree more. Any pro can sell you a set, a few can actually do a good fitting.

As an example, even Titleist fitting centre uses the lie board for measuring lie angles which is far from ideal to say the least. Most pros wouldn’t go beyond static fit by Ping chart that would be promptly displayed in the fitting area :)

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
When i got new irons i just poped in my local AG to have a quick try on several makes and ended up being there for 3 hours , a really good expierience with absolutely no pressure from the lad who saw to me, in fact i ended up getting G30's when i looked at the G400 line, the lad suggested the difference in them was minimal and suggested the older irons so i kept the few hundred quid in my pocket ! I know AG get a mixed press on here but i could not fault them on this occasion

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly has your lad stopped growing ??

As others have said there is no need to pay any more for a custom fitted set than a standard set unless he has some exotic requirements.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Firstly has your lad stopped growing ??

As others have said there is no need to pay any more for a custom fitted set than a standard set unless he has some exotic requirements.

He seems to have done. My genes are holding him back a little unfortunately for him, ha ha.

Part of it is the buzz of going for a fitting, the fun of it. The fitting at a really nice club by us, proper gear, sexy fitting room, all the shafts, heads etc is £25 for a 45 minute iron fitting. It is worth it as an end of exams treat alone. We talked last night and he is going to do that whatever. Whether he then goes ahead and buys is dependent on pricing but at least we are now a little wiser, we know what to expect.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
American Golf do 0% finance if that helps. Pay it off over a few months. Help him get what he really wants then, if the fitting throws up some of the more expensive brands.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you buy irons from clubhouse (for example), they have a custom fit option on most current irons which allows you to specify length, lie, grip size etc. Only charges extra if the start model is an upgrade.

Alternatively, most decent club pros would be able to take a regular spec iron of the correct flex and make the appropriate length, lie, grip changes. That way you could buy newish second hand or discontinued new models at a significant discount to current and still get the correct fitting. Shouldn't cost too much (£50 a set max I'd've thought).

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He seems to have done. My genes are holding him back a little unfortunately for him, ha ha.

Part of it is the buzz of going for a fitting, the fun of it. The fitting at a really nice club by us, proper gear, sexy fitting room, all the shafts, heads etc is £25 for a 45 minute iron fitting. It is worth it as an end of exams treat alone. We talked last night and he is going to do that whatever. Whether he then goes ahead and buys is dependent on pricing but at least we are now a little wiser, we know what to expect.

It's a little cheeky but I'm sure you give them plenty of custom anyway, but if you go this route it may be worth having a nose at American Golf first and even use their bay. Get an idea of the makes/models that may suit including price point as you can then give an early guide rather than trying models that won't work in the 45 mins. I'm guessing that may be quite tight on time so may allow the focus to be more on fitting the iron rather than just deciding what brand may work.

Just a thought, not sure if others agree whether that would help or not?