So you are in a fish and chip shop....

What fish do you order?

• Cod of couse, doesn't everyone?

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Haddock, Cod tastes like muck.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other, my chip shop understands responsible fishing practice.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Fish.... in Batter? Vile!

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
S

Snelly

I love cod but don't order it any more as it is totally overfished and not far off endangered. Consequently I always order haddock. That said as part of Hugh's fish programme, our local chippy now does battered mackerel goujons and they are delicious.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most chippies I just order a fish supper and take what I'm given! If there's a choice I'd have haddock.... in breadcrumbs!

Also quite partial to a smoked sausage supper.

Even though I've lived in the east for many years now I've never understood "salt n sauce" - horrible stuff!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most chippies I just order a fish supper and take what I'm given! If there's a choice I'd have haddock.... in breadcrumbs!

Also quite partial to a smoked sausage supper.

Even though I've lived in the east for many years now I've never understood "salt n sauce" - horrible stuff!

Your s secret Glaswegian ;)

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
most fish we buy from the local chippy is in fact a fresh water type that is similar to a cat fish and sold to us as cod,same as haddock the use a cheaper fish and just tell us what we want to believe,like ham on pizzas it is reconstituted slurry from the remains of turkey product production with a flavouring!!!! enjoy your tea.
You are right, I saw a program on this recently, hardly any fish shop advertise Haddock anymore you are more likely to get Pollack. If you ever get seduced into buying River Cobbler or Pangassian as it is known this is a fresh water fish from Vietnam where it is farmed in unsanitary conditions and it is riddled with all sorts of nasty stuff, leave it on the shelf. If you do go into a fish shop ask for Cod or Haddock if they say it is and it isn't trading standards will be on them like a shot.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Either Rock (huss) and chips

or

Steak and kidney pie, sausage and chips

We have a van that comes to the village once a week and his stuff is top notch!

T

thecraw

Pollack is a very tasty meaty fish and you'll be surprised how often you eat it and not know.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
The wee hurry in troon. I guarrantee there aint a better chippy on this planet. All catch of the day,straight in off the boat at the harbour.sea bass supper is amazing,monk fish if they've caught any,cod,haddock,scampi ,salmon. Genius if a place.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wee hurry in troon. I guarrantee there aint a better chippy on this planet. All catch of the day,straight in off the boat at the harbour.sea bass supper is amazing,monk fish if they've caught any,cod,haddock,scampi ,salmon. Genius if a place.

That sounds awesome!

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Cod, usually availabel local to me, much prefer hddock. Best Chippy in the country has to be in Ingleton, Cumbria. Get there Giant Haddock with large Chips, Mushy Peas, 2 round of Bread and Butter, plenty S&V cant go wrong. One of few chippies that give the same coat of batter on both sides, not wiped off on one side to a smear.

Hungry thinking of it.

Ooh and on the course those little fish you get in a bag with Chips made by Burtons.

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I order haddock and chips in England because they usually give you cod if you say fish and chips. When i'm in Auld reekie it has to be a fish supper,this is haddock in all the chippies in the town.Salt and sauce is a must. When on the west side of Scotland I notice you have to stipulate haddock,or you will be served cod,and no sauce in sight.Gorgie Road fish bar and the BBQ on the Glasgow Road in Corstorphine being my favourite haunts,though you'd be hard pushed to find a crap chippy in Edinburgh.Worlds' best imo.