So what are you listening to at the moment?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trying to get me through some boring as hell work.

Probably not for everyone on here 🕺

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mPZe7S5GRvvxmKECjHNzoIqGvFGv7MJgU

Shoop! was one of the defining labels in the early Scottish scene. Much was early alter-egos of Gordon Tennant (GT Sampler) before he punched Jolly Roger Records and was a launch pad for Technosis (Vince Watson) and the very much Prodigy influenced Bass-X.

I still have loads of early Shoop! releases on vinyl in my collection as it was pretty much run out of a record shop in Kirkcaldy called Sleeves, and the guy that founded the label (DJ ZBD AKA Gordon Blair) ran the shop.

It was pretty much my local record store and for event tickets like Rezerection.

TLDR, I like this playlist and have the original CD from 1996 😁

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Radio 6 Music. Celebrating 45yrs to the day since release of Kate Bush's The Kick Inside...all day the station is playing stuff from 1978 that Radio 6 Music would most likely have been playing had it been around then...so some great non or low-charting tracks - including releases by bands that weren't well known in 1978 but became so. And currently The Vibrators with Automatic Lover. Now you won't hear that played on the radio that often. Great stuff.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oceanlab's moving and poignant 2008 ambient track, Miracle. A message as true to day as it was 15 years ago when this was released. I have been working my way through the whole Sirens of the Sea album and this is one of 3 tracks that always reach out and grab me.

Justine Suissa's vocals are just ethereal.

"It's too easy to bow your head an pray"... Never a truer word.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have recently discovered The Mary Wallopers. Young Irish band in the tradition of the Dubliners. Some great covers and stuff of their own. They are playing in my hometown in a couple of months at a cracking venue (Wylam Brewery). Unfortunately I've already got tickets and digs booked that very same evening for a different gig down in Stockton :confused:

Last edited:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oceanlab's moving and poignant 2008 ambient track, Miracle. A message as true to day as it was 15 years ago when this was released. I have been working my way through the whole Sirens of the Sea album and this is one of 3 tracks that always reach out and grab me.

Justine Suissa's vocals are just ethereal.

"It's too easy to bow your head an pray"... Never a truer word.
Best thing I've heard for a long time! 👍

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Enjoying some old classics on the jukebox tonight.

Stand by me -Ben E King

I wanna hold your hand - Beatles

Dock of the Bay Ottis Reading

Heart of Gold -Neil Young

Catch the Wind- Donovan

Cecilia- Simon and Garfunkel

House of the Rising Sun- Animals

Walk on the Wild Side- Lou Reed

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since going to Tailenders Live and enjoying Greg James banter, I thought I’d give him a listen on the R1 Breakfast Show, and much to my surprise I‘m rather enjoying it as my ‘waking’ listen. Not that much music-wise I recognise…but much of it is better than my preconceptions.

I‘m not a fan of R2 and just need a break from all things current affairs and political as they are doing my head in (so I’m minimising my R4, Times Radio, LBC, R5L listening). And as much as I enjoy the relaxed style of Petroc Trelawny on R3, I prefer the curated mixed programmes R3 do - which are superb and interesting but mostly in the evening.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Every so often I am reminded of a song that I loved and this is one that still sends tingles down my spine. And the words…well I hadn’t really listened to them closely…such wistfulness about love and love lost.

If you don’t know it (and even if you do) just spend a little time listening to the words as well as enjoying the beautiful song and Gordon Lightfoot‘s singing…

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Every so often I am reminded of a song that I loved and this is one that still sends tingles down my spine. And the words…well I hadn’t really listened to them closely…such wistfulness about love and love lost.

If you don’t know it (and even if you do) just spend a little time listening to the words as well as enjoying the beautiful song and Gordon Lightfoot‘s singing…

"A haunting ballad" is how I would describe that sort of song. Anyone from our generation will remember that song, although it got no higher than number 30 in the charts in 1971.
He did top the charts in his native Canada, however.
Another "haunting ballad" that we all remember is Nights In White Satin. Yet that reached only number 19 in the charts in 1967. It was re-released in 1972 and got to number 9.
Windmills Of Your Mind by Noel Harrison is another. Got to number 8 in 1969.
Great songs, but not high single sales.
People seemed to prefer to spend their money on Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris or Ernie by Benny Hill.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
"A haunting ballad" is how I would describe that sort of song. Anyone from our generation will remember that song, although it got no higher than number 30 in the charts in 1971.
He did top the charts in his native Canada, however.
Another "haunting ballad" that we all remember is Nights In White Satin. Yet that reached only number 19 in the charts in 1967. It was re-released in 1972 and got to number 9.
Windmills Of Your Mind by Noel Harrison is another. Got to number 8 in 1969.
Great songs, but not high single sales.
People seemed to prefer to spend their money on Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris or Ernie by Benny Hill.
I’d add Jim Croce as another favourite of mine of the time and style. With Time in a Bottle almost certainly on my Desert Island disc list.