So what are you listening to at the moment?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For 35+yrs I have resisted buying any Genesis post ...And Then There were Three. But I bought Genesis (Shapes) at the weekend as I have found myself rather enjoying Home by the Sea and Second Home by the Sea but to be honest other than Mama (which is OK) that's it for that album for me...I might have another go at Duke

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
For 35+yrs I have resisted buying any Genesis post ...And Then There were Three. But I bought Genesis (Shapes) at the weekend as I have found myself rather enjoying Home by the Sea and Second Home by the Sea but to be honest other than Mama (which is OK) that's it for that album for me...I might have another go at Duke

Yeah it's slim pickings on that album but HBTS is probably my all time favourite Genesis song.
Love Duke, some great tracks on there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For 35+yrs I have resisted buying any Genesis post ...
My (late) brother got me into Genesis many years ago (back in NZ) and i quite enjoyed their 'different' music. I later discovered some of their influences and became quite hooked on those (and similar) sounds.
Phil Collins actually lived within a mile of where we first set roots in UK. I used to see him in the local supermarket quite often. A bow from me and a nod from him always made me smile for the rest of the day!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah it's slim pickings on that album but HBTS is probably my all time favourite Genesis song.
Love Duke, some great tracks on there.
On Duke I do like the ‘Duke Suite’ and as seems consensus of Genesis fans I rather wish they’d kept it together on one side of the album rather than split it up - and put the rest on the second side. Question is...do I buy it vinyl from my local record shop...? I can get it for £6-£8 so might just do that. Meanwhile I have Spotify to make my mind up. I don’t think I am that keen on any of the rest of the 80s or early 90s stuff.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Mama isn't about his mother, but a young man's longing for a particular prostitute. Quite dark in places...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My (late) brother got me into Genesis many years ago (back in NZ) and i quite enjoyed their 'different' music. I later discovered some of their influences and became quite hooked on those (and similar) sounds.
Phil Collins actually lived within a mile of where we first set roots in UK. I used to see him in the local supermarket quite often. A bow from me and a nod from him always made me smile for the rest of the day!
When in NZ last year it seemed to us as we travelled around the country that NZ is still in love with 1980s music and by the amount of it we heard played - very much in love with 1980s Genesis and Phil Collins ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
On Duke I do like the ‘Duke Suite’ and as seems consensus of Genesis fans I rather wish they’d kept it together on one side of the album rather than split it up - and put the rest on the second side. Question is...do I buy it vinyl from my local record shop...? I can get it for £6-£8 so might just do that. Meanwhile I have Spotify to make my mind up. I don’t think I am that keen on any of the rest of the 80s or early 90s stuff.

Although I bought all of Genesis, post-Then There Were Three were hardly played. The Lamb and Trick of the Tail being my favourites.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Although I bought all of Genesis, post-Then There Were Three were hardly played. The Lamb and Trick of the Tail being my favourites.
For my sins I only have The Lamb on cassette - recorded back in the day from a copy of the album borrowed from my local library. I have all the rest and favourite sways between WaW and SEbtP - though playing and enjoying Foxtrot quite a lot at the moment.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For my sins I only have The Lamb on cassette - recorded back in the day from a copy of the album borrowed from my local library. I have all the rest and favourite sways between WaW and SEbtP - though playing and enjoying Foxtrot quite a lot at the moment.

I like Supper's Ready but I think Ripples, from TotT is my fav track

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When in NZ last year it seemed to us as we travelled around the country that NZ is still in love with 1980s music and by the amount of it we heard played - very much in love with 1980s Genesis and Phil Collins ?
Still prob the 'best' era for music imo! But then, I'm biased - having discovered and lived through that (and a bit previous) period! Kiwis are fairly conservative music-wise - though their artists are often at the forefront of trends. I was, however, pleased to be informed by Wifey1 that she travelled to Wellington to enjoy a Jimmy Buffett concert. In '76 I was given a ticket to a show by a guy (John Hanlon) staying in the same B&B as me on a wicked Wellington stormy night - where the warmup band was a band called Split ENZ (who eventually morphed into Crowded House). 150 or thereabouts people watching! The next time I saw them (SE) - in the same venue - there were 4000+ and tickets were extremely expensive!

Ridgeman

Visit site
Still prob the 'best' era for music imo! But then, I'm biased - having discovered and lived through that (and a bit previous) period! Kiwis are fairly conservative music-wise - though their artists are often at the forefront of trends. I was, however, pleased to be informed by Wifey1 that she travelled to Wellington to enjoy a Jimmy Buffett concert. In '76 I was given a ticket to a show by a guy (John Hanlon) staying in the same B&B as me on a wicked Wellington stormy night - where the warmup band was a band called Split ENZ (who eventually morphed into Crowded House). 150 or thereabouts people watching! The next time I saw them (SE) - in the same venue - there were 4000+ and tickets were extremely expensive!
Have a number of bands seen in small venues which went on to bigger, Dire Straits in Dundee Uni being one. Biggest difference for me was seeing ELO at Edinburgh Uni tickets £2 who stated at the end that they would be back. Oddly it was only a year before the venues size went somewhat bigger than Edinburgh Uni.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, this was a surprise to me, but just been enjoying Suzi Quatro's new (2019) album - No Control.
Although she used to be on my "Phwoarrr" list back in the 70's, was never a real fan as it was all a bit pop-rock. Didnt realise she was still alive, let alone still playing till I came across a documentary about her on SkyArts. Piqued my interest enough to check out the album. Simple style R&B/Rock but worth a listen.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Well, this was a surprise to me, but just been enjoying Suzi Quatro's new (2019) album - No Control.
Although she used to be on my "Phwoarrr" list back in the 70's, was never a real fan as it was all a bit pop-rock. Didnt realise she was still alive, let alone still playing till I came across a documentary about her on SkyArts. Piqued my interest enough to check out the album. Simple style R&B/Rock but worth a listen.

Looking good considering she's in her 70's :eek: