Snapped shaft

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had an unfortunate incident yesterday; my 7 iron snapped at the point the clubhead hosel meets the ferule.

The clubs are old (had them since 2012) and I’ve hit a lot of range balls, 7 iron more than most I’m sure.

I’m now facing a dilemma. I don’t want to spend much money really as I don’t play much these days so can’t justify the cost. Buying a brand new set is out.

There is a matching 7 iron on eBay for £40, but I’d be a bit nervous that the same thing could happen again.

I’ve been in touch with a club repair chap who thinks it should be ok to find a comparable shaft (the original is a KBS made for Cleveland shaft so unlikely to be available). Not sure on cost.

That then got me thinking, how much would it cost to effectively be custom fit for my existing irons and have new shafts put in?

If a reasonable price this could be a good option and get me another 5 years plus of happy golfing out of this set.

However, I did then start thinking what the second hand market might hold... is there anything that is a real bargain second hand around the 200 / 250 mark? I quite fancied a set of srixon’s (Z545 / Z745) but all the cheapish ones seem to be in not great condition - I guess that’s to be expected with second hand forged heads.

Any suggestions? On any of the points really - good second hand clubs / reshafting what I’ve got.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I had a used set of Mizuno Mx 23 forged irons with True Temper light shafts. They were great & I later got fitted with the JPX 850 forged with TT XP 95 shafts. These are wonderful clubs too but I've got to say that they don't perform much, if any, better than the MX 23s. You'd pick up these for next to nothing & that would probably go for Srixons if you go a couple of generations back. I don't honestly think enough improvements have been made in irons, possibly withe the exception of Taylormade, to justify buying the latest version.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
who is the club fitter ? Can give you another name if its not the same one !

what are your current clubs ?

Looking through some old threads, probably is the same chap!

I’ve been in contact with Richard Kempton - I’m in Tonbridge so he’s very local to me.

I’ve got Cleveland cg7 black pearls, nothing particularly special but very good clubs in my opinion.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a used set of Mizuno Mx 23 forged irons with True Temper light shafts. They were great & I later got fitted with the JPX 850 forged with TT XP 95 shafts. These are wonderful clubs too but I've got to say that they don't perform much, if any, better than the MX 23s. You'd pick up these for next to nothing & that would probably go for Srixons if you go a couple of generations back. I don't honestly think enough improvements have been made in irons, possibly withe the exception of Taylormade, to justify buying the latest version.

Very interesting - thank you.

This kind of thing is very tempting at the right price.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I’ve been in contact with Richard Kempton - I’m in Tonbridge so he’s very local to me.

I’ve got Cleveland cg7 black pearls, nothing particularly special but very good clubs in my opinion.

Yes, he's very good.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Has your pro or club fitter tried Cleveland Golf directly, I'd be pretty confident that they will still have a shaft in stock!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've a set of pulled, unused, DG R300 SL shafts (8 shafts) - they came out of TM irons but the grips are a plain black grip without noticeable branding.
You are welcome to look at them - £40 about right?
I'm only round the corner - TN11

Wolf

Visit site

Dare I swear.. have a look in AG in Tonbridge was in there last week had some real bargains in the used section.

Will be down there again some point this week as it's my local to use the range so may try to nab a bargain or 2 myself.

Wolf

Visit site
I've a set of pulled, unused, DG R300 SL shafts (8 shafts) - they came out of TM irons but the grips are a plain black grip without noticeable branding.
You can't be far from me I'm TN12

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you contact gamola golf they will tell you what the replacement shaft should be.

They used to have the list on their website but appears that the link does not work at the moment..

If you are going to just fit new shafts make sure you get the right shaft tip diameter either .355 taper or .370 parallel. Again Gamola should be able to give you this info.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This sounds like a bargain! How would I go about checking whether they would fit my irons? Do you know?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This sounds like a bargain! How would I go about checking whether they would fit my irons? Do you know?
Well, in my simplistic way, I would just remove the broken bit from your 7 iron and measure it - then compare to these.
Happy to do it with you in the workshop if that would help you.
Let me know.

Wolf

Visit site
Ah yes, but you are heading off to pastures new!
Indeed we are, I do like it round here but Mrs has family up in Lincolnshire and it's more cost effective for giving the kids more as they grow up. But I have family down here in Kent so will be back a lot if you ever fancy a knock somewhere locally

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had two clubs snap in two weeks, two wedges i suppose they might be getting on a bit now Nike vrs.
Or do you just put the £100 or so to fix them towards some new ones.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fwiw the bottom of the shafts comes up a whisker under 9.1mm and they would appear to be tapered...so it's safe to say they are .355 taper.

Removing the broken bit from your 7 iron is the best way to establish what was previously in yours.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fwiw the bottom of the shafts comes up a whisker under 9.1mm and they would appear to be tapered...so it's safe to say they are .355 taper.

Removing the broken bit from your 7 iron is the best way to establish what was previously in yours.

Hi Duncan - thanks again for the offer of selling me the shafts. In the end, I decided to buy a second hand set of srixon z565s on eBay. £234 delivered seemed like a bargain - but we'll see when they arrive!