smoother swing revised distances

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Evening guys,
Went to the range tonight to finally try and sort out my club distances....I spent 2 hours there ......1 of them getting my club distance and the other spent chipping.....

This is what i have concluded.......
With nice smooth swings

55 deg SW full swing 100 yrds carry
3/4 swing 70-80 yrds carry

43 deg PW 120-130 yrds carry
3/4 swing 100-110 yrds carry

39 deg 9I 130-140 yrds carry
3/4 swing 120yrds carry

35 deg 8I 140-150yrds carry
3/4 swing 125-130yrds carry

31 deg 7I 150-160yrds carry
3/4 swing 140 yrds carry

28 deg 6I 170-180yrds carry
3/4 swing 150yrds carry

25 deg 5I 180-195yrds carry
3/4 swing 170 yrds carry

Ill have to transfer these yardages into metres as our own course has metres instead of yards...

How do these figures seem....it felt good slowing things down a little and my back didnt seem half as sore after the session :cool:

These are pretty close figures and it actually felt nice hitting the ball although i did struggle a little with the 5 iron....I felt that if i forced it i actually hit it better for some strange reason....

The scoring clubs 8,9,pw,sw really stood out for me though, the dispersion was around 5-8 yards with the nice smooth swings....So im going to try and keep the tempo i had tonight and see what prevails.....Thanks again for the advice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Forgive me for sounding a tad blunt but you seem to regularly post on here about how far you are hitting your clubs. It doesn't really matter if you are hitting a 7 iron 150 or only 130. Its about getting the ball in the hole. What are good yardages for you won't correlate to a lot of others. Some will hit longer and some like me will be shorter. Choose whatever is right for you and then go from there. As it happens I think 150 with a 7 is pretty reasonable.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forgive me for sounding a tad blunt but you seem to regularly post on here about how far you are hitting your clubs. It doesn't really matter if you are hitting a 7 iron 150 or only 130. Its about getting the ball in the hole. What are good yardages for you won't correlate to a lot of others. Some will hit longer and some like me will be shorter. Choose whatever is right for you and then go from there. As it happens I think 150 with a 7 is pretty reasonable.

I wasnt boasting or anything Homer....If anything i was looking for some consistency and some of the forum including youself were helpful and advised me to do certain things.....And i did tonight so i was just letting them know what went on.....Im not trying to start a distance debate or anything ....Far from it and if im boring you then i apologise......Im just trying to get consistency into my game like others and i want to learn it myself with a little help from the forum......I dont take lessons i never did and just play with what feels natural to me.....This is why im soaking up so much information from people......
No hard feelings eh ;)

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say your distances are smack on what I hit on a warm day with little or no wind. (Or at least what I *intend* to hit...it's a different matter for me. 150-160 yards out, dead flat, no wind, I'll take the 7I out of my bag. Whether I'll hit it clean and straight and carry the green is another matter.)

Don't know if that tells you anything, but I think for a 16-handicapper I perhaps hit the ball a bit further than average. But as Homer says, distance is nothing without accuracy, and lately my accuracy has been atrocious. I'd far rather cut 20% from all my distances to hit straight all the time.

B

birdieman

5i 180 -195.
Kid you need to nail down the distance per club to an exact amount, not leave a 15 yard maybe there. Take the average of 20 well struck (not hammered) balls and use that as your distance for that club i.e. an exact yardage.

If I do distance measuring I find the length the shot goes very consistent, it's the lefts and rights that are much harder to get right.

My swing is so inconsistent at the moment that my yardages are a bit of a lottery, flushing some and sclaffing many others :(.

GRAEMBO

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Birdieman I feel your pain. I used to have a fairly decent tempo to my swing, and found that I played with a wee draw. Since Iv grown a few inches over the winter, the tempo is now promoting a fade, therefore afecting my distances. keep the chin up and keep plugging away, Ive come down to 5 from almost 8 in 3 weeks!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
5i 180 -195.
Kid you need to nail down the distance per club to an exact amount, not leave a 15 yard maybe there. Take the average of 20 well struck (not hammered) balls and use that as your distance for that club i.e. an exact yardage.

If I do distance measuring I find the length the shot goes very consistent, it's the lefts and rights that are much harder to get right.

My swing is so inconsistent at the moment that my yardages are a bit of a lottery, flushing some and sclaffing many others :(.

I disagree... too complicated.

I hit 180 with a 5-iron and I also hit 195 with a 5-iron, sometimes I hit 6 iron from 180 and I've also hit 7-iron from 195 so it doesn't really matter provided you assess where you DON'T want the ball to land and play accordingly taking all things into consideration (bunkers/wind/lie/the way you're swinging on the day/shot shape etc etc)

I WOULD say that from 9iron or less you want to be nailing your yardages a bit better as they are your scoring clubs... 105 to the flag? Then you need to know the club.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Either set of distances is more then enough to play off a very low handicap. The question is which approach scores best with a card and pencil. There is no virtue in hitting a 9 iron 155 yards if you can't hit it on the green more than once in a blue moon. Better a nudged 6 iron onto the green every time.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Either set of distances is more then enough to play off a very low handicap. The question is which approach scores best with a card and pencil. There is no virtue in hitting a 9 iron 155 yards if you can't hit it on the green more than once in a blue moon. Better a nudged 6 iron onto the green every time.

pretty much as above, im always one of these players who look at what others are hitting on the tee and feel the pressure to try and match them, a few weeks back i went out with the "easy shot one more club" method and broke 79 for the first time in a long time, thing is with a silly few mistakes it should have been a 75 card all day long,

Like whats been said here hammering a wedge into the green at 130 yards is proving inconsistant for me, ive now opted to go for the 3/4 9 iron at this sort of distance

* Ball Strike is cleaner and more consistant

* ball flight is less iratic

* over 10 shots 8-9 are on target (90% predictable)

* and im noticing when hammering full wedges im strugling to get the bit into hard fast greens, but for some reason this doesnt happen with the 3/4 punch shot.

The pro i have my lessons with did say because of my size (6.2") i have enough upper body strngth to play 3/4 swing shots and not lose any power, and with time and confidence playing with a consistant swing will promote a more power-producing tempo.

Its seems the same old score, 280 yard drive, 120 yard wedge, then up and down in 4 (gugger, double bogey), new method 280 yard drive, 120 yard 3/4 9i, 2 puts and 3 points on the card....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the advice once again gents. ;)
Most appreciated :cool: :cool:

Hopefully it'll carry on into sundays captains prize comp!