Smash factor for an amateur with driver

Visit site
I went to Pine Ridge driving range last night - the numbers coming up on the screens were a load of nonsense.

I have no ego when it comes to yardages. I club up enormously to account for up hill or into wind, I’m not precious about how far the ball goes. And I know my 7 iron is a reliable club for 155 yards carry in summer conditions, in cold weather more like 145-150 yards.

The monitor reckons I was hitting high 160s for carry… I would estimate at least 10% over the odds, more like 15% I would say.

I would actually suggest the ball speed was about right. Each shot, in relation to each other, we’re about right, but the carry yardages seem based on it being at enormous altitude? Or 50degree air temp, I don’t know.

It’s an ego boost for sure, I hit a drive which it claimed rolled out to 328 yards! But who is that actually helping? Every person at the range is glued to the screens, barely even watching their ball… To see some made up, grossly exaggerated yardages?! Perhaps aimed at the casual golfer who’ll be more inclined to go back if they’re told good things about their golf shots.

369EBFF9-7573-4F0E-A6C6-C8B03960EE5D.png

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
That ball speed should mean carry of 260-ish, so something is amiss!
That would be absolute perfect launch conditions for that carry at the top end speed. I’d expect a 145-150mph ball speed would result in a 235-245 carry depending on launch for most amateurs.

Sounds like OP’s swing speed is around 100-103mph

Reason I’m confident on those numbers are because they were my numbers last time I was on Trackman a few years ago. Best ball speed was 153mph on a 103 swing speed that carried 248.

Ian_George

Visit site
That would be absolute perfect launch conditions for that carry at the top end speed. I’d expect a 145-150mph ball speed would result in a 235-245 carry depending on launch for most amateurs.

Sounds like OP’s swing speed is around 100-103mph

Reason I’m confident on those numbers are because they were my numbers last time I was on Trackman a few years ago. Best ball speed was 153mph on a 103 swing speed that carried 248.
Indeed! My figures seemed to be for 'Total Distance' according to this pair of charts - typically the quoted figure crosses the pages! https://www.golfwrx.com/303248/how-far-you-can-actually-hit-your-driver/ I'll blame my glitch on it being significantly the range of my wimpy swing!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I went to Pine Ridge driving range last night - the numbers coming up on the screens were a load of nonsense.

I have no ego when it comes to yardages. I club up enormously to account for up hill or into wind, I’m not precious about how far the ball goes. And I know my 7 iron is a reliable club for 155 yards carry in summer conditions, in cold weather more like 145-150 yards.

The monitor reckons I was hitting high 160s for carry… I would estimate at least 10% over the odds, more like 15% I would say.

I would actually suggest the ball speed was about right. Each shot, in relation to each other, we’re about right, but the carry yardages seem based on it being at enormous altitude? Or 50degree air temp, I don’t know.

It’s an ego boost for sure, I hit a drive which it claimed rolled out to 328 yards! But who is that actually helping? Every person at the range is glued to the screens, barely even watching their ball… To see some made up, grossly exaggerated yardages?! Perhaps aimed at the casual golfer who’ll be more inclined to go back if they’re told good things about their golf shots.

View attachment 45230
I discovered that if you use the "warm up" mode, it won't track the shots (annoyingly!) but it does seem to be much closer to my "normal" distances. Give that a try sometime.

JGolfer

Visit site
Recently got a PRGR. I know roughly my swing speed as my lessons are on trackman and the PRGR seems spot on for clubhead speed. Went to local top tracer range today (Where 350 struggles to break top 50) The results comparing Top Tracer and PRGR was quite eye opening

Drive 1 - PRGR read 103mph clubhead, 148 ball speed, 1.43 smash, 247 carry, 264 total. Top Tracer read 158mph ball speed, 219 carry, 14 launch, 244 total.
Drive 2 - PRGR read 102mph clubhead, 143 ball speed, 1.39 smash, 237 carry, 255 total. Top Tracer read 154mph ball speed, 210 carry , 13 launch, 228 total.
Drive 3 - PRGR read 103mph clubhead, 145 ball speed, 1.41 smash, 242 carry, 259 total. Top Tracer read 152mph ball speed, 236 carry, 16 launch, 263 total.
Drive 4 - PRGR read 102 clubhead, 147 ball speed, 1.43 smash, 246 carry, 262 total. Top Tracer read 153mph ball speed, 248 carry, 15 launch, 282 total

Interesting part is the ball speed on tracer was consistently much higher than PRGR. My SS is around 103 on trackman, and the PRGR numbers are very close to what I see on trackman.

If the your local tracers ball speeds are accurate, I would estimate your SS is around 102-104.

*I did use PRGR on the course, and the distance numbers were almost spot on compared to my Garmin watch's walking from tee shot to ball give or take 1-2 yards.

Hope this helps OP

JGolfer

Visit site
What is PRGR?

Small, decently priced launch monitor. It doesn’t give everything, mainly got it as I am going through the Superspeed training this winter, and helps measure. However the numbers it does provide seem relatively accurate compared to what I see on Trackman. It does give off the slight misread, but rare, and they are off enough that you can tell right away.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
At the range last night I felt like I was hitting driver very well (for me). Top Tracer was reporting a ball speed of 145-150mph. Where would that place my swing speed, roughly? Any estimates? Using a PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 driver. Carry about 220y.

I appreciate these are only estimates, and there is no way knowing for sure. Before this, I would've guessed I was in the 90-100mph range, but then I read that a smash factor of 1.5 would be considered above average, and I find it hard to believe any area of my game could be described in that way!
1.5 is the maximum smash factor achievable, most amateurs don't get it close to that, especially someone as short as you. Something off there

D-S

Visit site
Recently got a PRGR. I know roughly my swing speed as my lessons are on trackman and the PRGR seems spot on for clubhead speed. Went to local top tracer range today (Where 350 struggles to break top 50) The results comparing Top Tracer and PRGR was quite eye opening

Drive 1 - PRGR read 103mph clubhead, 148 ball speed, 1.43 smash, 247 carry, 264 total. Top Tracer read 158mph ball speed, 219 carry, 14 launch, 244 total.
Drive 2 - PRGR read 102mph clubhead, 143 ball speed, 1.39 smash, 237 carry, 255 total. Top Tracer read 154mph ball speed, 210 carry , 13 launch, 228 total.
Drive 3 - PRGR read 103mph clubhead, 145 ball speed, 1.41 smash, 242 carry, 259 total. Top Tracer read 152mph ball speed, 236 carry, 16 launch, 263 total.
Drive 4 - PRGR read 102 clubhead, 147 ball speed, 1.43 smash, 246 carry, 262 total. Top Tracer read 153mph ball speed, 248 carry, 15 launch, 282 total

Interesting part is the ball speed on tracer was consistently much higher than PRGR. My SS is around 103 on trackman, and the PRGR numbers are very close to what I see on trackman.

If the your local tracers ball speeds are accurate, I would estimate your SS is around 102-104.

*I did use PRGR on the course, and the distance numbers were almost spot on compared to my Garmin watch's walking from tee shot to ball give or take 1-2 yards.

Hope this helps OP
Drive 1 and Drive 4 look odd - in essence exactly the same on PRGR but 38 yards different on Top Tracer.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Probably hitting it too low!! Lol

But in all seriousness, I do question the reliability of Top Tracer. I've been at ranges where the normalisation says that my drives will go 220y (total) on what felt like a really good swing, whereas on the course I'll regularly hit drives in the 240-250y range, so I have to take them with a pinch of salt.
Take a laser range finder with you next time ?