slow swing speed needs a 5 wood

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi All,

I am after something that gives me more distance than my 7 wood, logically I think a 5 wood would be best. I currently swing between 75/80 mph and playing off 19.

I have tried googling 5 wood for slow swing speed but I'm just getting 5 wood for high handicaps which is focusing on stopping slices and mishits etc which I'm sure I would benefit from but I'd like one which is good for slow swing speeds.

Any recommendations?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Slow speed means you will have more difficulty in obtaining effective launch in low lofted clubs like 3 woods 15*/ driving irons etc - Hence a 5 wood is a good choice. You swing slow so you'd need, in theory a lighter shaft (allows you to swing with more speed due to weight) High MOI and the Centre of Gravity pulled back - this will help you achieve launch.

A lot of manufactures have a high launch friendly 5 wood. I'd take a look at

Callaway Big Bertha 21
Ping G425 MAX
Titleist TSi1
Cobra F-MAX
Taylormade SIM 2 Max

Fabia999

Visit site
Slow speed means you will have more difficulty in launching low lofted clubs like 3 woods 15*/ driving irons etc - so you'd need, in theory a lighter shaft (allows you to swing faster) High MOI and the Centre of Gravity pulled back - this will help you achieve launch.

Callaway Big Bertha 21
Ping G425 MAX
Titleist TSi1
Cobra F-MAX
Taylormade SIM 2 Max

Cheers mate, this is why I'm not bothering with any UDI or 3 woods, hoping that my speed is enough to generate the speed to get a 5 wood up in the air, I can pick the 7 wood up no bother. I have the TS1 driver which I love, wish they made a TS1 wood but I will try the TSi1, currently sitting a bit too high in price to justify a couple of shots per round.

AAC

Visit site
Slow speed means you will have more difficulty in obtaining effective launch in low lofted clubs like 3 woods 15*/ driving irons etc - Hence a 5 wood is a good choice. You swing slow so you'd need, in theory a lighter shaft (allows you to swing with more speed due to weight) High MOI and the Centre of Gravity pulled back - this will help you achieve launch.

Callaway Big Bertha 21
Ping G425 MAX
Titleist TSi1
Cobra F-MAX
Taylormade SIM 2 Max

I put the same shaft in my 5 wood as I have in my 7 wood, if the 7 works for you no reason to suppose a 5 wood with the same shaft wouldn't do the job.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

I am after something that gives me more distance than my 7 wood, logically I think a 5 wood would be best. I currently swing between 75/80 mph and playing off 19.

I have tried googling 5 wood for slow swing speed but I'm just getting 5 wood for high handicaps which is focusing on stopping slices and mishits etc which I'm sure I would benefit from but I'd like one which is good for slow swing speeds.

Any recommendations?
Two things come to my mind
1. Get a more flexible shaft 75/80 is on the cusp between R and A flex (A is sometimes called senior but do not be put off it just means a more flexible shaft)

2. Add length to the shaft

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played with a chap (19 hcap) last year with pretty much the same issue. He had acquired a ladies 5 wood from a lady member who plays off scratch. But he said that the shorter shaft made it even easier to use along with the lighter shaft weight. Fairways, rough, par-3s - all became easier - he said. He was very enthusiastic about it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Mizuno ST200X or STZ, excellent clubs, exactly what you’re looking for.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played with a chap (19 hcap) last year with pretty much the same issue. He had acquired a ladies 5 wood from a lady member who plays off scratch. But he said that the shorter shaft made it even easier to use along with the lighter shaft weight. Fairways, rough, par-3s - all became easier - he said. He was very enthusiastic about it.
This is the way .... I wouldn’t worry about the colours either, clubs will eventually be non gender biased and more about the technical requirements.

D

Deleted member 23344

I have the same swing speed as the OP ... and my Ping G series 5 wood is my go to club. I can’t hit a 3 wood, but I love my 5 wood. Definitely worth a try.

Fabia999

Visit site
I have the same swing speed as the OP ... and my Ping G series 5 wood is my go to club. I can’t hit a 3 wood, but I love my 5 wood. Definitely worth a try.
I’m currently looking at them. Glad to hear a few people with slower swing speed are recommending the same thing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My swing speed is only just pushing 85mph (driver swing), and I could never hit a 3 wood, but since I've got the Cobra F9 5 wood I've been able to hit it really well. So pleased with it I bought the 7 wood as well. I tried Ping woods before, but I didn't like how the face wasn't very tall (don't know if tall is the right word but the height of the face basically is quite low). The Cobra woods have the taller face, plus the rails on the bottom which help with launch quite a lot from different lies on the deck. I feel a confidence with them I never had from a wood previously.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My swing speed is only just pushing 85mph (driver swing), and I could never hit a 3 wood, but since I've got the Cobra F9 5 wood I've been able to hit it really well. So pleased with it I bought the 7 wood as well. I tried Ping woods before, but I didn't like how the face wasn't very tall (don't know if tall is the right word but the height of the face basically is quite low). The Cobra woods have the taller face, plus the rails on the bottom which help with launch quite a lot from different lies on the deck. I feel a confidence with them I never had from a wood previously.
That seems like a great choice of clubs to me. I would be happy if your 5 and 7 woods were relabelled as a 4 and a 5 wood as their lofts accord with what is imprinted on my (probably outdated) brain. Must be over 12 years ago that I bought Ping G10 Driver, 3 wood and 21dg hybrid. Great clubs, but the slowing of swing speed with the advancing years made me feel they were no longer suitable. Before I make a radical adjustment, I've been experimenting with some even older clubs. At present I am using a Cobra Fspeed driver and matching 16dg baffler hybrid. These have a much heavier "feel" to me than the Pings, but with the slower swing I get the feeling of a very solid hit, whereas it started to feel like an ineffectual waft with the Ping driver and 3 wood. Still using the Ping 21dg hybrid though.
The marketing of new drivers and woods does not seem to be directed at the fairly good but aging golfer (apart from shaft choice) so it will take me sometime to consider a new choice of the three big bats. Because I'm getting on so well with the old Cobras, I am keeping a watchful eye on this brand. Like I said, your choice of 1,4,5 (to me) looks a good un.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That seems like a great choice of clubs to me. I would be happy if your 5 and 7 woods were relabelled as a 4 and a 5 wood as their lofts accord with what is imprinted on my (probably outdated) brain. Must be over 12 years ago that I bought Ping G10 Driver, 3 wood and 21dg hybrid. Great clubs, but the slowing of swing speed with the advancing years made me feel they were no longer suitable. Before I make a radical adjustment, I've been experimenting with some even older clubs. At present I am using a Cobra Fspeed driver and matching 16dg baffler hybrid. These have a much heavier "feel" to me than the Pings, but with the slower swing I get the feeling of a very solid hit, whereas it started to feel like an ineffectual waft with the Ping driver and 3 wood. Still using the Ping 21dg hybrid though.
The marketing of new drivers and woods does not seem to be directed at the fairly good but aging golfer (apart from shaft choice) so it will take me sometime to consider a new choice of the three big bats. Because I'm getting on so well with the old Cobras, I am keeping a watchful eye on this brand. Like I said, your choice of 1,4,5 (to me) looks a good un.

Voyager, I‘m in the same boat as you, swing speed is slowing ?
I went for a driver fitting yesterday but couldn’t get anything to better my trusty Cobra Fly Z.
Its definitely one to try, forgiving and adjustable from 9 - 12 degrees.
Previously had a G10 , K15.

Fabia999

Visit site
Surely it's all about what shaft you have in it.... or are they all standard?

because of the loft, of lack of, in a 3 wood people with slower swing speeds can't hit them because you cant generate enough spin to keep it up in the air. Not sure the shaft would make too much difference.