Sky v BT

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone got any thoughts re calls/broadband/tv packages?

Been with sky pretty much forever, paying £60 ish a month now for full tv package/broadband & calls, and paying bt for line rental.

Been thinking about ditching sky for a while, as need to cutback on spending & I am ‘against modern football’!
So I responded to a cold call from bt & switched my calls back to them, which seems be going to cost me less than it was for just line rental.

Now sky have written & said without calls their broadband will be £5 more a month, so wont be saving owt there.

Looking on t’internet at packages is a bit bewildering – any thoughts on broadband & tv from bt?
Really need to keep broadband, could live without full suite of tv channels (at a push!) but would miss golf so keen to try & keep some sort of sports package!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
virgin XL package (phone/broadband/tv) is around £40/month
but to get golf you have to get the Sky Sports add-on, and since that splits across two channels - another £26/month - and you're not into HD yet.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have Virgin with the max broadband and tv, and it works out around £50/week.

:D Personally I don't pay for any of our services at home, but we have Sky HD, BT phone and Orange Broadband and I'm certain it is nowhere near £200 a month!

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I work for BT's business division.

Ofcom are about to make sky sell premium content (ie Sports) on a wholesale basis like BT do with lines.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2009/06/nr_20090626

Should happen in August so if you can wait then there should be a bit of a reduction in costs and some competition for business.

Oh and Fibre to the cabinet launches next week which will mean 40mg Broadband will be available to the home market fairly soon, I would recommend (depending on where you live PM me and I may be able to find out more) signing a 12 month deal with whoever you go with as the market is going to change over the next year.

Timh27

Head Pro
Visit site
I was going to go with a full package on BT but i spoke to them and got all the details then when i phoned them a few days later i was told that the original deal that i had agreed didnt exsist and the person i originally spoke to was wrong and it was going to cost alot more. I decided to go with sky as if BT cant even agree the deal when they are trying to get my custom it didnt really inspire confidence in there customer service plus i know 3 or 4 people that have had some major problems with them in the past.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I too was with Skys surf, talk and watch package (whatever it's called) and it was costing me around £26.00 a month for the basic "no frills" package plus about £11.00 a month to BT for my basic line rental.
I wanted to switch to HD television, but an enquiry to Sky suggested that I would be waiting about 3 months for installation and my monthly payment was going to rocket. So I looked elsewhere.
I moved my broadband to Plusnet, along with my line rental (swapping from BT). Now I get 8mb download speeds (sometimes) and my line rental for about £16.00 all in. I've lost caller display and the 1571 service having moved from BT but that's not a killer. I had an answerphone anyway and I don't mind a surprise every now and then!
I went out and purchased a Humax Foxsat PVR to replace my Sky+ box which just plugs straight in its place. That was the most expensive thing, cost me just over £250.00 but it's a one off payment and I can now watch and pause/record live TV as I did with Sky and benefit from a couple of HD channels. Bit cheesed off that I can only get BBCHD and the odd bit of ITV in HD at the moment but am living on the promise that more HD channels will be coming over to Freesat in the future.
So other than the cost of my freesat box I am saving approx £20.00 a month. Trouble is, FreeSat doesn't have any dedicated sports channels at the moment so I have to rely on whatever BBC or ITV churn out.