Sky q broadband help

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am going over to sky q, hopefully. I have an old non hd box in the lounge, and a seperate hd sky plus box upstairs. I have two dishes, one for each box.
There is broad band available in the lounge, but not upstairs in the telly room.

Do both sky q boxes need broad band?

If so, would a pair of plug in extenders do the job, transmitting broad band over my ring main to the tv room and then to the sky q box by rj45?

I am guessing the lounge dish will need a new, twin lnb.

I have an egineer booked, but if i need to do amything before he comes, i need to get on with it.

Any one know anything about sky q installation?

D

Deleted member 15344

The boxes are WiFi - you need one main box that connects via the dish and then any other box connects via WiFI

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The boxes are WiFi - you need one main box that connects via the dish and then any other box connects via WiFI

This is correct. Boosters will be used by the engineer if needed to get it to work upstairs. An added bonus is that the the mini boxes (often upstairs) work as wifi booster in general. For example I had a room that had poor reception and now having a mini box in the room I get a great reception there.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you currently have Sky broadband? if so, which router? I went through 3 months of hell setting up Sky Q.

The main box, needs a wifi signal from the router and the sat input (x2) Each Mini box, then connects to the wifi network, either directly to the main box, or via the router.

My fix was to use the OLD sky hub router, the new Q one tries to be too clever and messes up the wifi.(by creating a mesh, where each sky box becomes a wifi access point) Its a nice idea, but in practice its horrible.

D

Deleted member 15344

For me the install took minutes with no issues at all - it’s very simple.

Sis in law has virgin B.B. and Sky q installed with no issues.

The Sky engineer will do it all for you

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In theory yes. I think changing the lnb in the lounge might be an issue, as the engineers dont like ladders any more, and the dish is 8ft above gutter height. There is at least serviceable wifi though.

For the tv room, it has a workable dish that it wont need, unless it becomes the master, but then it has no wifi. If this one can be reliably connected to wifi, then it could work, but i have tried plug in repeaters, and they were rubbish.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, i am on bt broadband. I have the feeling this instal is just not going to work!

Leave the room, put your feet up and let the Sky engineer do his job. If he can't then presumably you will stick with the standard Sky. It may take him too many hours and frustrate the heck out of him but that is his job, not yours. Don't speak to him and give him an excuse to walk away :D.

With any technical install I find it best to leave my wife to deal with it. Most tradesmen generally believe that women don't understand and so they just get on with it until the job is finished. If a bloke is there they feel compelled to explain why this particular install is a complete dog in the hope that you will agree and accept that 2 hours of failure is better than 4 hours to get a success. This despite, in my case, I have no technical knowledge and they may as well be talking Mandarin. If I have to be there I now show them the room where the job is, go into another one and pretend to work on the computer, whilst secretly watching a film or just surfing for golf gear in the hope that they will leave me alone.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was under the impression that you had to use Sky Broadband for it to work as a booster. I have Sky Q in my living room and kitchen and the box doesnt boost the Wifi to the Garden and im with Vodafone BroadBand.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have sky q, and have had for well over a year now. The main box is great, we have 2 additional boxes also, these are not so good, had 3 engineer visits, 3rd one made it slightly better, but still cuts out upstairs regularly. never realised I could use a different router as though the q one was meant to be best for the q system, but in general terms its garbage. I used to be able to watch sky go in the garage on the ipad, now it barely picks up in the kitchen, 15 feet away, although through the wall, hope it goes well for you Murph, but I am not overly impressed with the quality outside of the main box.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The engineer came today. He spent 2 and a bit hours there, and has not been able to get it working. Sky are coming again on friday to hard wire the lot.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was under the impression that you had to use Sky Broadband for it to work as a booster. I have Sky Q in my living room and kitchen and the box doesnt boost the Wifi to the Garden and im with Vodafone BroadBand.

Correct, only if you use sky BB, does it mesh to 'extend' the wifi coverage. using a third party service provider is in my opinion, the best option as the meshing doesnt work.