Skipping GI Irons?

BigBertie84

Visit site
I'm new to golf and can barely hit straight off the tee at a driving range never mind a course however I have a quick question which has been nagging me.

Is using game improvement irons not counter productive? I know they are more forgiving and I know they help you hit farther but does that not also mean you are relying on aids to correct your mistakes rather than learn from your mistakes and get better?

I'm wondering would it be better to go for lower handicap irons straight from the get go and learn from my mistakes on those to get better with the end game clubs?

Obviously this is all a long way off for me at present as I'm still only learning and I do plan to ask my coach as well but I'd be interested in people's opinions and experiences. Did anyone else skip the GI irons?

DCB

Visit site
Take as much help as you can from the equipment. Have a look at what many Tour players are using, it's not far off a GI club in many cases. To play well with a more classic looking blade you really need to be hitting the ball out of the sweet spot and with consistency. A GI iron will give a bit more assistance on off centre hits and will still travel a reasonable distance. An off centre hit on a blade will not go anywhere near as far.

Don't make life hard for yourself, choose something that you like the looks of and that gives you as much help as it can. The game is hard enough without adding to the stress with the wrong clubs. Ask your Pro what he thinks you should be looking at as he will know what you need based on your swing and ball striking.

Welcome along to the forum, hang around and get involved and you may pick up useful info along the way :)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Golf is a hard game,why make it harder when starting out?
Personally I wouldn't be looking at "better player" irons for a while.
This game isn't much fun if you can't hit the ball in intended direction.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Take as much help as you can from the equipment. Have a look at what many Tour players are using, it's not far off a GI club in many cases. To play well with a more classic looking blade you really need to be hitting the ball out of the sweet spot and with consistency. A GI iron will give a bit more assistance on off centre hits and will still travel a reasonable distance. An off centre hit on a blade will not go anywhere near as far.

Don't make life hard for yourself, choose something that you like the looks of and that gives you as much help as it can. The game is hard enough without adding to the stress with the wrong clubs. Ask your Pro what he thinks you should be looking at as he will know what you need based on your swing and ball striking.

Welcome along to the forum, hang around and get involved and you may pick up useful info along the way :)

Beat me to it 😳

Spot on 👍🏻

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is true you may grow out of big offset irons quickly if you improve your swing.

However there are many GI irons without too much offset.

One tip is ignore the top line, many people fall into the trap of needing to see a thin top line.

Another tip is have more hybrids and less long irons. Even down to a 5 iron replacement is a good idea.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regardless of the equipment you are using people tend to learn from their perceived mistakes rather than the actual issue.
They adjust what they are doing to make the equipment work for them.

Golf, like skiing, is a sport that is best learnt without strength ie technique is everything to start with. Equipment that gives the best chance of delivering positive feedback from correct techique is the best starting point.

Would also point out that many your professionals use GI equipment; they also develop stock shots which is also a little counter to the workability of non-GI equipment!

When you can hit a high draw, low draw low fade and high fade at will, to a specific target, but wish to be able to do it in a more exaggerated manner, bin the GI irons...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started with a super Gi set, the pro told me to bin them at the first lesson! (Maybe it was the second...)

My uncle off 6 got me a set of mid cavities, still use them today!

They got me my first handicap of 17 and got me down to 11.

It's a tough route but I was in my mid 20s with enough cash for lessons and plenty of free time.

If you can't put the time in then it's GI every time. If you can put the time in and your swing gets off to a good start then the more playable end of GI clubs is an option.

Wouldn't recommend my route, was blooming hard work and I got lucky with my time and money I could throw at the game. I was at the club 5 days a week in the summer!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
GI all the way mate, as already said, why make the game harder for yourself?

There are some Speedblades for sale on here, wish I'd never sold mine and I'd be all over them if I was buying again.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Correctly fitted irons is the most important thing, nothing worse than trying yer hardest to get everything rite only to be thwarted by an ill fitting set of clubs, believe me, I know, as many on here will...

Problem is that when yer just getting into the game 'forking out mega dosh' fer a set of custom irons is the last thing on yer mind, understandably...

It shouldn't make a great deal of difference what heads are on the end of the shaft if yer using properly fitted irons 'but' there's no shame in using GI's...

Some of the sweetest irons I've ever hit were 'Mizuno T-zoid pro II' which were a sort of blade/muscle back, beautiful to hit, all smooth and buttery like but 'for me' they just lacked any real distance...

Have a sneaky peak in yer fellow golfers bags if you get the chance, odds on 99.9% of'em will be swinging GI's...

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Iv got some old mizuno jpx 800hds which are horrendous to look at about as wide as a house brick but my god they are easy to hit, they come out when my swings gone tits up for whichever reason it chooses

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I got to 9.9 a couple of years back and bought a set of 'better player clubs', I hit them fine on a good day but much poorer on the bad days and my handicap was creeping up pretty steadily. I realised the error of changing, bought some TM RSI1's and never looked back, easier to hit any day, go miles and handicap stabilised.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am of an age whereby when you first started playing there was no choice unless you were fairly well off so I started with muscle back blades. I am sure that they did help me to become a god ball striker but it was frustrating to begin with.

Would I recommend the same to a newbie - not very likely unless they are prepared to do what I did - approx. 100 balls on the practice ground 5 days a week.

I only made the switch to more of a CB club when injuries stopped me from practicing but I still carry MBs in the shorter clubs.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as others have said take all the help you can get starting out. Nothing to stop you in future having a look at something else once you start to get better. i started with mx17 which are out and out GI irons,but promised myself i would treat myself to something else once i got to 10 or below... those where MP57 which i still have a set of.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
once i got to 10 or below... those where MP57 which i still have a set of.

That was my first proper set, playing those in your first season of golf was hard work!

Still got them today and no chance of me dropping them unless I get flushed with cash and can go the Orka route

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First set of irons were Ping G15's, hit them ok but I didn't like the look of them so sold them and purchased a supposedly slightly better players club in the i25's (same Loft/lie and shaft) and I hit these much better due to me liking he clubs much more.

Use whatever club fits and performs for you best and enjoy yourself.