Six years and counting...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I can only echo what everyone has said already, the meets, formal and informal, are what it's really about and I've met great people on here and played some super duper courses.

I turned up for my 1st meet, as usual organised by Smiffy, somewhat nervous and not knowing anyone but it was great fun and I've done loads since as well as 4 balls etc just arranged casually. Smiffy deserves special mention as he always arranges great meets and Richart and Rickg's H4H meets are bang on. Champagne moments are winning the H4H 2 years ago after playing my best ever round, and also the Gainsborough meet a couple of weeks ago was fun.

I would say to everyone who posts, come along to a meet and you'll have a great time

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah, this is a good thread.

This forum reflects life in a lot of ways, I think. There's a lot of fluff, a lot of distraction, a lot of arguing and a lot of strops. But all of those things are overshadowed by the huge amount of goodwill and general sense of decency of near enough everyone on here.

Champagne moments - every meet I've been on has been a privilege and I'm grateful to those who put the effort into organising them. We're incredibly lucky that people will give up their spare time to make these things happen.

H4H last year was an absolute blast. Being the first Scotland-based former to venture into the untamed wilds of Hampshire was a daunting prospect, especially a week after the referendum :mmm: but I was made so welcome and met so many good people that it genuinely upsets me that I can't make it again this year.

But the real champagne moment for me had nothing to do with golf. I happened to mention on a thread that I had a job interview coming up and, unprompted, a forumer I didn't know sent me a PM with some helpful information on how to be successful in those kinds of interviews. That was an incredibly nice thing to do.

Anyway, in case anyone hasn't picked up the message from he other posts, the glue that holds this place together is the forum meets. If you haven't already done it, get yerself along to one. You won't regret it.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably my winners day at Bearwood Lakes and getting fitted for a new set of Mizuno irons. Lunch afterwards and then a round on the course were an added bonus. I played with Paul Nash (a member there), and even though he was not selected for the day by the magazine he still took the time out come along for the day. Top bloke and good to know that he is back playing again.

Been on a couple of the Burnham meets which is always good, and this year I also had the pleasure of playing at East Devon for the first time. Thanks to the forum I played at a guest rate thanks to Twire who is a member there.

Also played one of the Hayling mini meets last year too.

Done a few miles to get to the various places, but well worth it to play great courses and meet like minded people.

Long may it continue.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I echo what everyone has said about the meets. The first couple I was very nervous, but I shouldn't have been. I've met some great people and played some lovely courses through the forum.

It's hard to pick a favourite so I won't try, but the overnighters are great because you get time to chat to a lot more people.