Singles matchplay - coin toss

D

Deleted member 1147

Doesn’t matter, I assume I’ll win either way

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
This might stretch your noodle a bit… we have one matchplay comp where whoever's top of the draw gets to pick (from 9) which course the match will be played on!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it would actually be fairer if the coin toss decided who goes first - rather than giving you the option of going first. i.e. heads I go first, tails you do. Job done.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's an organised competition with a draw, rules state whoever is first on the sheet.

Have your club kept that rule with the 2019 Rule change?

We deleted it because it was known that a lot of players had never noticed it and neither had the Starter for one final.

tobybarker

Visit site
On the Medal course at my place second always - twice I've had an opponent slap their tee shot onto the main Aberdeen-London railway line which runs down the right of the first hole - one of them put his second ball out too.
In that situation, do you get them to reload before you tee off, or do they have to wait until you have hopefully smacked it up the fairway?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played my annual match play tie this evening. Giving 7 shots to a 14 man who used to play off 7 in his youth and was smoking it 30 past me.

Decent wee game with some good and some crap from both of us. Didnt half a hole till the 7th. He eventually won 2 and 1 with both of us getting our 3rds to the par 5 17th and halving the hole with bogies. A poor end to a decent game.

Fun day and we got a clear run which was unusual for teeing off at 4pm on a friday.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that a rule, do you know, or just a preference? It obviously makes a huge difference to what you do in matchplay....

It’s a rule chap. Same as in stroke play, you wait til everyone in the group has had their go then you can reload - you should declare it your provisional by saying just that. not “I’ll hit another” or something ambiguous it has to be clear you’re putting a provisional in play. I know it seems mad when you’ve just watched the ball sail out of sight, but the thinking is let’s say you watched it disappear over a fence and you got down to the fairways and there’s your first ball. Hit a wall or something and cane back into play but you didn’t know it, no one saw. You can now play your first ball and pick up your provisional with no penalty. You can even play your provisional up until the point where you’re ball is reasonably likely to be, and if you find the original game on, but when you hit the provisional beyond that point it becomes your ball in play.

There are a good few resources for simple explanations of the basics, defo look them up before playing in competitions and don’t be afraid to ask (though be aware your partners may have the wrong rules in their understanding!)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Always first.

At current club there is no etiquette/tradition that has the top of the draw playing first - previous club that etiquette/tradition held and so there was no ’toss up’ or equivalent.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always first.

At current club there is no etiquette/tradition that has the top of the draw playing first - previous club that etiquette/tradition held and so there was no ’toss up’ or equivalent.
It was more than etiquette/tradition.
Pre 2019 the Rule said
10-1a Match Play. The side that has the honour at the first teeing ground is determined by the order of the draw.
10-2a Stroke Play. The competitor who has the honour at the first teeing ground is determined by the order of the draw.

Now Rule 6.4 says the same