Singles match strategy different depending on handicap of opponent?

phillarrow

Visit site
OP. You’ve worked hard at your game and scoring 77 or better is good golf. They don’t need to play technically great golf to beat you. That’s what is mentally difficult, when you play a hole really well but lip out for bird, they scab a couple and hole a lucky par and win the hole with a shot. As many as 10 times. ? Or you’re playing good solid GIR par golf and cant get get a win because they’re shooting ropey bogey after bogey.

I get exactly what you’re saying. How do you raise your game when you’re already at capacity and the oppo doesn’t feel like he’s playing the same game or course with all his shots? Welcome to singles handicap golf as a lower handicap. It’s not the same as someone off 14 giving someone off 24 ten shots. The 14 handicap could play bogey golf and win. You have to play par golf or better most of the time, there’s far less room for error. You wont get many lucky birdies in a season not mind one match. Anyone saying that’s just what you have to do cos you’re lower is saying “that’s your punishment for being good at the game”. Hardly a fair argument.

All I’ll say is if they’re not cheating (I.e. deliberately playing to a higher handicap than they need be), then if they beat you, take it on the chin. And think about playing scratch golf somewhere. I have no words of comfort if they’re cheating or WHS is giving them far more comfort room than they need. Last year was rough for the low men in our club. Hopefully things will start settling out this year and we just need to worry about the new entrants who aren’t getting cut quickly or at all thanks to the foibles of the new system.

Eh? The whole concept of a handicap system is to allow competition between people of different standards on a fair basis!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Id just echo whats been said before, the player getting shots will have internal pressure to play well on those holes that he gets a shot.

Just go steady on those holes and manage your risks and you should come out on top. As he is normally off 18 (I assume 18-5=13 shots) the player is not going to be hitting many GIR - then its just a short game/ putting contest.
Which is the approach I will take when week on Sat I am giving my opponent 8 shots. I will just aim to keep steady and low risk in my play towards the green then trust in my short game to deliver some holes.

We know each other well. If he is on his A-game then I am in trouble, but by definition that is rare and so I don't bother with that or make it a factor in how i play. He knows that I am generally steady off the tee and that my short game is good, and these things will be source of pressure on him. So I just play my normal game to pressurise him away from his A-game.

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eh? The whole concept of a handicap system is to allow competition between people of different standards on a fair basis!

True, but my main point is how many bandits have you played off 5? And how many off 14? ?

The OP is struggling with strategy for those matches in which the oppo is not a bandit but true to their number. So my second point is that bogey golf can win the oppo a match, and bogeys come in all shapes and sizes. He needs to play par golf. The standard is higher, less room for error. He doesn’t get away with a duffed shot. It’s different from a 14 playing a 24, where either could win without many GiRs. It’s about the level (irrespective of handicap) he needs to play at. That’s all.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
True, but my main point is how many bandits have you played off 5? And how many off 14? ?

The OP is struggling with strategy for those matches in which the oppo is not a bandit but true to their number. So my second point is that bogey golf can win the oppo a match, and bogeys come in all shapes and sizes. He needs to play par golf. The standard is higher, less room for error. He doesn’t get away with a duffed shot. It’s different from a 14 playing a 24, where either could win without many GiRs. It’s about the level (irrespective of handicap) he needs to play at. That’s all.
He often can make bogeys without losing a hole A fourteen handicapper is not usually someone who hits 4 pars and 14 bogeys. firstly they don't usually play to their handicap and secondly there are usually a fair number of doubles and sometimes worse in there as well.

sunshine

Visit site
Strategy on the tee is to complete the hole in the fewest shots reasonably possible, until the point when you know what your opponent will score/has scored in which case the strategy may become take one less shot than they did

This is insight! Good job Captain Obvious is here to help us :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apologies BiM - only joking but I couldn't resist.

sunshine

Visit site
You are the better golfer, with the better ball striking, control and short game. Make sure your opponent knows this.
Start by nailing driver as far as you can. Out-drive him by miles to intimidate him.
Then attack the flag, leave yourself a tap in for birdie. He will feel he can't compete with that and has already lost.
If you attack the flag and miss, you've still got a good chance of getting up and down. Even if you make bogey you'll probably still get a half.
Shock and awe. All guns blazing.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He often can make bogeys without losing a hole A fourteen handicapper is not usually someone who hits 4 pars and 14 bogeys. firstly they don't usually play to their handicap and secondly there are usually a fair number of doubles and sometimes worse in there as well.

I agree, and there is great variation in how 14s make up their 14 over. Some will be steady, others shoot 7 pars, a few bogeys and 5 doubles. But almost every par will need to be halved with a birdie. No one shoots 7 birdies off 5. This is my point, we’re not really disagreeing, what I’m saying is the standard he needs to play to leaves him no room for error (this is true in strokeplay too it’s self evident). The higher handicap can by definition afford to play far more error laden golf and still win. Which is what’s hard to play against mentally. I appreciate the handicap system is there so all can compete. For me, a fair match is a 5 against a 5 or a 14 against a 14. No shots, better golf at your level wins. Whenever there is a great disparity ok the handicap system is there to balance it but it will never take away from the fact that the better golfer needs to play a better standard of golf to win (unless the higher has an meltdown). And that’s my point. It’s a technically more difficult thing for anyone to score pars and birdies than someone to shoot pars and bogeys. I know it’s sounding Captain obvious and probably even elitist to say it. But it’s fact. That’s not to say it can’t be enjoyable or a good game. My regular PP/oppo is off 21. We have really good matches. But I won’t win unless I’m playing par golf most of the time. It’s not easy because I can’t get away with a topped shot like he does. He can mess up and still be in a hole. Less likely for me. That’s the point I’m attempting to make - probably poorly judging by the reactions! ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree, and there is great variation in how 14s make up their 14 over. Some will be steady, others shoot 7 pars, a few bogeys and 5 doubles. But almost every par will need to be halved with a birdie. No one shoots 7 birdies off 5. This is my point, we’re not really disagreeing, what I’m saying is the standard he needs to play to leaves him no room for error (this is true in strokeplay too it’s self evident). The higher handicap can by definition afford to play far more error laden golf and still win. Which is what’s hard to play against mentally. I appreciate the handicap system is there so all can compete. For me, a fair match is a 5 against a 5 or a 14 against a 14. No shots, better golf at your level wins. Whenever there is a great disparity ok the handicap system is there to balance it but it will never take away from the fact that the better golfer needs to play a better standard of golf to win (unless the higher has an meltdown). And that’s my point. It’s a technically more difficult thing for anyone to score pars and birdies than someone to shoot pars and birdies?
If one is off 14 and one of 5 they actually on average would only have to make birdies on half the holes to level the parred holes as the difference is 9 strokes.
I don't think it is intrinsically fair or unfair the point is to give each player a roughly equal chance at the outset which is the point of handicap golf.
You determine who is the better player on any day by playing without handicap but then you will usually know the outcome in advance if you are putting someone with the ability to ay of 14 against someone with the ability to play off 5.
Different games but enjoy them both.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played 10 holes this afternoon hitting two balls. On the holes I will be giving my opponent of week on Sat a shot I gave myself the challenge of parring with both balls. Two pars gave me a win, a par and a bogey gave me a half. Two bogeys I lose the hole. On the holes I wont be giving him a shot, a par and bogey at worse gave me a win. A double bogey with either ball - I lost the hole. Was rather fun. I lost - but it was close.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If one is off 14 and one of 5 they actually on average would only have to make birdies on half the holes to level the parred holes as the difference is 9 strokes.
I don't think it is intrinsically fair or unfair the point is to give each player a roughly equal chance at the outset which is the point of handicap golf.
You determine who is the better player on any day by playing without handicap but then you will usually know the outcome in advance if you are putting someone with the ability to ay of 14 against someone with the ability to play off 5.
Different games but enjoy them both.

Yeah apologies I misquoted the OPs post, he is giving 13 shots. Must have got 13/14 in my head and used it as an example handicap.

You’re right, it can never be truly fair, just the best system we can manage to allow people of different abilities to compete with each other. In strokeplay it doesn’t matter so much when you’re playing, you’re trying to beat your own handicap/shoot as low as possible. It only matters when you see everyone else’s score at the end. In matchplay you’re presented with it one on one. The OP wanted to know how you mentally deal with that disparity. I guess we don’t really have an answer because there isnt one. Other than “give him Hell”, but that applies to everyone.