Single length irons

Chris132

Visit site
Anyone got any experience with single length irons?

I've played my first round with a set of Cobra Forged Tex Black One Length, surprisingly I was ok with them, but for some reason the 4 iron was impossible to hit, hook (never hooked in my life) or topped every time. Every other iron was fine. I understand they may take time to get used to them but I just found it weird how it was just the one club.

I think it may be a psychological issue as I noticed when holding the 9 iron, my feet were closer together and I suspect I may have had my feet wider apart with the 4 and still swing like a long iron rather that a 7 swing.

Anyone else have this issue or similar, it seems like my brain is going to be the problem after having variable length irons for over 20 years.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play "normal" irons up until a 6 iron then I got ,2 one length hybrids..... A ,24 and 21 degree

Super easy to hit long

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was very intrigued by the one length, until I went for a fitting; The 9 and PW felt far too long to have any control and ballooned. The long irons had such a flat flight it didn't feel right. Glad I tried them, they just weren't for me.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Mate of mine has always struggled for consistency with his irons. He bought some one length irons a few weeks ago and finds them even worse. He can’t get to grips with them at all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The 9 and PW felt far too long to have any control

This was my biggest issue but in particular with the short game. I found them too long and so sub-consciously slowed down into impact. I do think the single length irons may have a place and have the potential to help some players who may struggle with longer irons.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This was my biggest issue but in particular with the short game. I found them too long and so sub-consciously slowed down into impact. I do think the single length irons may have a place and have the potential to help some players who may struggle with longer irons.

I think a lot of people whom hit their seven irons very well (me being included) automatically assume that this will translate over to the single length be it a 3 or a 9 iron. The fact is not everyone can, will or should.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve been playing one length irons (cobra speed zone) for a couple of months and I love them. I have the 5-GW, and when I said about having the 4I at the fitting I was advised that I would be better off having the one length 4 hybrid 21* as it was easier to hit and gave me a better gap to the 5I than a 4I would.
I was a bit erratic with the hybrid a first, but when I got my head around that I needed to set up and swing like all my irons I got a lot more consistent and get a great flight with it now and is becoming a favourite club.
I found it strange with my 9I and wedges at first but now it feels natural. The 6,7 & 8 are so similar to regular sets that they were no problem the 5I I had to tell myself I was hitting a 7I at first but again it feels natural to me now. All my clubs hit very similar distances to my old progressive length clubs but with much more consistency of strike.

Visit site
I think those who try single length try and play like variable length irons, which is not the what they are designed to do. Just play every club like it's either 7 or 8 iron length and have the same tempo as you would for that club. The brain tells you to swing faster with the less lofted clubs, but you cant do that.
After 40yrs of playing variable length and blades, I'm switching to the new Wishon single length after trialling the 5i out and PW out. The length of mine will be 36.75", I may have to add a little length to my GW as its 1.25" shorter which might have a gapping issue, but I've got the winter to experiment

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I would be sceptical, given so few top players use them - Bryson being the only one. The pros are good and if they felt there was genuinely an advantage to using them, they'd be able to make the adjustment pretty quickly.

For us amatuers, we don't have the swing speed so we do get help from longer shafted 4, 5 & 6 irons. The One Length clubs have a lot less loft on this end of the bag. And almost everybody I've heard who has tried them, has felt uncomfortable at the shorter end of the bag.

Ultimately I think there's a market for One Length clubs, but it will be at the faster swinger and it won't be a magic bullet.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For us amatuers, we don't have the swing speed so we do get help from longer shafted 4, 5 & 6 irons. The One Length clubs have a lot less loft on this end of the bag. And almost everybody I've heard who has tried them, has felt uncomfortable at the shorter end of the bag.

You are incorrect about the lofts.
My old clubs were M2’s which the lofts were
4I 19*
5I 21.5*
6I 25*
My speedzone one-length are

4I 19.5* ( I do not have this club, I have the onelength 4H 21* instead)
5I 22*
6I 24.5*

As for the pro’s not using them, why would they if they have got where they are with traditional irons.

Also I am not a fast swinger at all, but I get a lovely shaped shot with my 5I

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You are incorrect about the lofts.
My old clubs were M2’s which the lofts were
4I 19*
5I 21.5*
6I 25*
My speedzone one-length are

4I 19.5* ( I do not have this club, I have the onelength 4H 21* instead)
5I 22*
6I 24.5*

As for the pro’s not using them, why would they if they have got where they are with traditional irons.

Also I am not a fast swinger at all, but I get a lovely shaped shot with my 5I

stand corrected about the lofts, but I did hear someone explaining them with stronger lofts in longer clubs and weaker lofts in shorter clubs. Which makes sense to me.

With regards to the Pro's, a good number are always tinkering and changing clubs / putters / Drivers etc. so I find it very unlikely that a reasonable number have not investigated the One Length.

Remember it's all very well saying 'these guys got where they are with traditional clubs' but a lot of tour pros feel they are constantly searching for something and a lot will go through bad patches of form every year where they will start to question everything from coaching to caddy to clubs etc.

If they work for you, then great and I think they will become used more widely, but I still think we are a long way from them becoming a more mainstream part of the golf market. Also strange that the other big manufacturers have not brought out sets of these. Cobra and Edel are the only one's I'm aware of.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I would be sceptical, given so few top players use them - Bryson being the only one. The pros are good and if they felt there was genuinely an advantage to using them, they'd be able to make the adjustment pretty quickly.

Ultimately I think there's a market for One Length clubs, but it will be at the faster swinger and it won't be a magic bullet.
I see One Length clubs as game helpers. The Pro's are so damned good that they don't need the type of assistance they offer. They hit them purely already. It's aimed at the amateur golfer, imo. I'd love a go with them but I would not take a gamble and simply buy a set.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
stand corrected about the lofts, but I did hear someone explaining them with stronger lofts in longer clubs and weaker lofts in shorter clubs. Which makes sense to me.

With regards to the Pro's, a good number are always tinkering and changing clubs / putters / Drivers etc. so I find it very unlikely that a reasonable number have not investigated the One Length.

Remember it's all very well saying 'these guys got where they are with traditional clubs' but a lot of tour pros feel they are constantly searching for something and a lot will go through bad patches of form every year where they will start to question everything from coaching to caddy to clubs etc.

If they work for you, then great and I think they will become used more widely, but I still think we are a long way from them becoming a more mainstream part of the golf market. Also strange that the other big manufacturers have not brought out sets of these. Cobra and Edel are the only one's I'm aware of.

I’ve read that 50% of Cobra Iron sales are one length. How true that is I do not know, also how many purchasers keep them is also an unknown.
I can only go on my own experience which is very positive.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I see One Length clubs as game helpers. The Pro's are so damned good that they don't need the type of assistance they offer. They hit them purely already. It's aimed at the amateur golfer, imo. I'd love a go with them but I would not take a gamble and simply buy a set.

I bought some one length clubs on golfbidder for a try out knowing I could send them back within 7 days. I played a round with them and I got on well with them. I still sent them back as I wanted to be fitted for them and also I wanted the latest clubs. Yes it cost me the postage both ways but I do not regret it especially if I had not liked them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Pros don't want to massively change a lot tho do they?

In about 10 years you might see more one length players as it's what you grow up playing

Another example is swings now have moved away from the traditional in players like Matt Wolff .. pros also playing fades now over draws to control their distance when before it was seen as the draw was the desire

Bit like Jim fureks swing was always funky now we getting more of them on tour as teaching methods have flitered through

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Pros don't want to massively change a lot tho do they?

In about 10 years you might see more one length players as it's what you grow up playing

Another example is swings now have moved away from the traditional in players like Matt Wolff .. pros also playing fades now over draws to control their distance when before it was seen as the draw was the desire

Bit like Jim fureks swing was always funky now we getting more of them on tour as teaching methods have flitered through

Yes - will be interesting to see what develops. Bryson was playing in the Masters as an amateur in 2016 when the One Length clubs became a thing with widespread coverage. So you'd imagine that any high school kids who had a go with the One Length clubs at that time may well start filtering their way into bigger events, amateur rankings and even development tours within the next couple of years.

And agree about coaching. I think launch monitors have a bit to do with that as coaches can see how well / consistent a player is hitting the ball, rather than looking for swing path and positional type coaching.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A golfing mate of mine bought some about 6 weeks ago and won his first comp at the weekend using them - he likes them ?

I tried a couple of his clubs and his 7 iron and 4 hybrid went within a couple of yards of my P790 7 and 4 hybrid. The 4 hybrid of his felt so small I didnt think I would make contact but i did strike it well and the flight was lower but good. I had demo'd some one length Cobra's a couple of years back and found them ok but i was worried about the move back to standard clubs if ever i wanted to.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I'm tempted by them. I'm hitting my 6 and 7 well, but struggling with 8-PW. Am thinking I could pick up a set on eBay, and if they don't do the trick, just shove them back on there and not take much of a hit financially.