Simplified Swing For Beginners

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm getting a fair amount of inconsistency with my swing (only been playing long game for 6 weeks). My swingpath is changing from 0 degrees to 3 at times out to in. My clubface is averaging 3-5 degrees closed sometimes open, however now i am now randomly getting the odd slice and hook (2 out of 10 now but previously didnt get many at all). Its a mixed bag of pushes, pulls, draws and fades mainly!

I've had my grip checked with a pro, and instructed to use body motion in the swing to clear my left side. This does make sense, as when i dont clear my left side quickly, i end up not hitting straight.Conversely when i clear my left side too early, this also causes problems.

So im getting a bit fed up and im looking for a simple alternative to get me started without so much inconsistency. Can anyone recommend an easier way to get me started. I tried the Bobby Jones swing to get me going which i find really easy and consistent, but i dont want to finish up with that swing because its not great for distance, and i dont want to have to relearn something.

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
JJ, I have no idea what any of that means. I also think you illustrate perfectly why some get lost with technical path, face and arse angle data rather than just trying to hump it round somehow.

Someone will come along and explain or guess at what you should do. I wish you luck, I'm off to hump it round somewhere with some fellow humpers ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
JJ, I have no idea what any of that means. I also think you illustrate perfectly why some get lost with technical path, face and arse angle data rather than just trying to hump it round somehow.

I'll go along with that :thup:

I have no idea how many +° or -° my club face is open or closed. I also have no idea how many degrees my swing path moves on, although my new found draw would indicate an inside path :whoo:

The ball goes, roughly, where I want it to, so I have no inclination to even consider going that in depth.

Go out, play the game and, most of all, enjoy it.

Don't get hung up on the technical side and the numbers behind it.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with the others. If you're a complete beginner to golf like I was last year my advice would be to see a Pro for lessons, practice as much as you can and also get out on the course. It's hard enough to just hit the ball at times without adding extra thoughts.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree that you shouldn't get too technical, but just guessing....

When you turn your body, it should be mainly the lower half, hips especially. You don't want to be turning your shoulders with the hips through the down swing. Try keeping your shoulder line parallel to your target for longer.

If you look at slo-mo videos of pros, you should be able to see that although their hips are open to the target at impact, their shoulders are (most of the time) pointing where they want the ball to go.

This fella was quite good :)

p131.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There is, indeed, an argument for KISS. And it's highly likely that you've gone over the 'too technical' boundary.

You could trying the 'hit it/swing as hard as possible and find out what issues there are' approach, or you could take a very simple approach to the swing in the first place. Here's one that works very well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eURbeXGkeCU

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow - zoomed in they are interconnected red balls joined together - so we've finally worked out the famous Hogan Secret that he took to the grave with him ...

(Dangerous stuff this red wine!)

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stay off here and just play golf.

For only playing 6 weeks you've filled your head with plenty gash already.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In answer to your question - I recommend this site -http://www.free-online-golf-tips.com/

Not a famous name by any means, but he has a nice section on the fundamentals and actually builds a series of videos outlining each part of the swing and how to get from A-B -C.

http://free-online-golf-tips.com/fundamental-golf-tips/golf-swing-tips/#.UqGNOeIbEYE

He wont get into detail on clubface angles and that other lark, simple straightforward instructions that I found very useful

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Stay off here and just play golf.

For only playing 6 weeks you've filled your head with plenty gash already.

And leaving any 3-Bays, or equivalent, gadget in the cupboard would probably be a good idea for a while too! :rolleyes: