Sick to death of my driver! Is it now becoming a mental issue?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Drop the driver, nowt wrong with a 220-230yd 3-wood, I use my 'Adams 18* XTDti' hybrid off the tee's as I've had issues with my woods for a while now, the hybrid gives me around 200yds, most of the members at our club would give their right eye to be able to achieve 200yds off the tee with a driver so I don't feel at all inadequate when rocking up at the 1st tee toting a hybrid. :thup:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would take the driver out of the bag, play without it for now and get to the reasons why it's going wrong with driving lessons over the winter.
It sounds to me like you are lashing at it which works when you get one right but is usually as disaster. Slowing down to a smooth tempo and swinging to a balanced finish is always good advice. However it could be a number of things. You might be coming up to quick. I once went through an entire season of poor driving and when I finally went for a lesson the pro fixed it in minutes. I was setting up with my weight on my heels causing huge inconsistency. So get it looked at. It's only a mental thing because your confidence has gone. That will come back as soon as you start hitting it well again and all this will seem like a bad dream. Confidence is huge in golf.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As someone else said, Sloooooooooooooooooooooooow down, right down, to the point where it feels like its to slow, get you rhythm back and let all the pieces of the swing jigsaw fall into place

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The shaft is probably too long.
Grip down an inch or more and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice, its appreciated. As I mentioned though, it is not the club which is the issue. Its my inability to hit the driver well from about 3/4 into the back swing. I just get all the sequencing wrong. Its a learning curve but one that I don't seem to be able to improve on at the moment.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, its appreciated. As I mentioned though, it is not the club which is the issue. Its my inability to hit the driver well from about 3/4 into the back swing. I just get all the sequencing wrong. Its a learning curve but one that I don't seem to be able to improve on at the moment.

Hit the driver with 3/4 swing ? You will find you will hit the middle more and I bet you don't lose any distance. Good luck and stick with it , I'm in the camp that you should not drop it out of the bag, just find a swing that makes it work.

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm like this with my hybrids. Hate the look and feel of them.Almost where I will hit a bad shot guaranteed just looking at them

D

Deleted member 21258

Snap it over ones knee, get it out of the bag and have a good laugh about it. Then buy a new driver, only joking nick:eek:

Swing the driver only as fast as you can to ensure a good strike and don't care about distance or direction. Then move on from there.

I find for me my bad strikes on the driver are normally down to taking it back with all arms and not enough shoulders, but no one is going to know about you apart from you/your pro.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Work on strike. I can pretty much guarantee that if you go to the range and stick some impact tape on your driver, you will find you are hitting it all over the face. some good some shockers.

Work on getting your strike grouping on the face much tighter you will see a huge increase in your consistency.

Hugely over looked part of improving.

This is really good advice.

I mark my balls with a black line for putting. When I tee up for my driver I set it so that the black line is aligned to the center back.
This does two things; one, it gives me something to keep my focus on during my swing, and two, it leaves a slight mark on my driver face after impact (It easily rubs off).
I normally drive with a very slight fade, but a few weeks ago it became a proper slice. after looking at the marks I could see that they were all way left of center.
This made me realise that I'd become sloppy in my setup routine and I then went back to basics and did it properly.
Boom! back to a nice baby fade.
My driver is one of my most consistent clubs.

Last edited:

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
definatley look at a mini driver.
I was the same as you and I switched to a mini and found alot more fairways and probably lost around 10 yards. Not the end of the world.

I've now sorted my driving and have a mini big bertha 1.5 going up for sale soon lol

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
definatley look at a mini driver.
I was the same as you and I switched to a mini and found alot more fairways and probably lost around 10 yards. Not the end of the world.

I've now sorted my driving and have a mini big bertha 1.5 going up for sale soon lol

Good advice or is that a nice sales pitch!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is really good advice.

I mark my balls with a black line for putting. When I tee up for my driver I set it so that the black line is aligned to the center back.
This does two things; one, it gives me something to keep my focus on during my swing, and two, it leaves a slight mark on my driver face after impact (It easily rubs off).
I normally drive with a very slight fade, but a few weeks ago it became a proper slice. after looking at the marks I could see that they were all way left of center.
This made me realise that I'd become sloppy in my setup routine and I then went back to basics and did it properly.
Boom! back to a nice baby fade.
My driver is one of my most consistent clubs.

Scholl foot spray or some strike stickers (http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/cgi-bin...-Impact-Labels-for-Drivers-Woods.html#SID=188) and see where you are hitting it. Off centre hits will obviously put different spins on the ball and cause problems. A good strike pattern, swinging within yourself and the love will return

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
After spending a few seasons fighting the hook, then this season fighting a push slice I gave up on the big dog. I was hitting my hybrid 200-220 in the summer so was using that as my weapon from the tee. Scores dropped got cut and came 2nd in two board comps. Now the season has finished I've put it back into the bag and with a small tweak for the push it's booming long straight drives. Think the break gave me time to reset and clear the mind.