Should we go back to metal spikes?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Now that we are allowed to tap down spike marks should we go back to metal spikes as I do believe that the plastic things that replaced the metal spikes damaged greens more than what they replaced.....?
I never left 'em...
Spikes in winter, trainers in summer. Getting harder and harder to get hold of spikes that fit whatever the latest fashion in placeholders is nowadays though...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No no no

Only have to watch the old golf films to see the state the greens got into - and that's with only a tournament field!

As a 100kg ex rugby prop I'm unable to twist my front food when loaded on proper grass with modern treads/soles, whether spike less or soft spikes.

Whilst long metal spikes help in climbing the banks of clay based tees (instead of using the steps) and grampons would be even better, things have moved on massively and bashing down ripped up greens isn't the answer.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
No no no

Only have to watch the old golf films to see the state the greens got into - and that's with only a tournament field!

As a 100kg ex rugby prop I'm unable to twist my front food when loaded on proper grass with modern treads/soles, whether spike less or soft spikes.

Whilst long metal spikes help in climbing the banks of clay based tees (instead of using the steps) and grampons would be even better, things have moved on massively and bashing down ripped up greens isn't the answer.

Typical prop response, the second rowers never had an issue... ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I still use spikes in the winter when it gets wet and muddy. I can see how greens would get damaged as I've seen load of players drag their feet with the plastic cleats and causing a mark. How hard is it to pick your feet up and walk normally on a putting surface?

D

Deleted member 15344

The damage they leave on the green from lazy people who can’t be bothered to lift their feet is appalling - we have two seniors who constantly wear them and you can see the damage they cause. Would rather see them banned like some courses already do

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Many courses don't allow metal spikes at all - even the Stinger Pro hybrid style.
There have been a model or two of non-legal spikes making indentations in greens but not many.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Even I have to admit that metal spikes don't do the course any favours.

But the sound of spikes on a hard surface is so evocative of when I started playing.

Maybe Footjoy could come up with a speaker system in the heel of their shoes which made the noise on each step and that you could turn on and off as required. Be a much better use of their R&D department than all the guff they're churning out now.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear my Biom hybrids all year round, and think its a mental thing that stops people using them in the winter. I get no less grip than any sort of spikes I used to use.
I would also ban metal spikes given the chance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am reminded of an incident a few years ago.

I caught up with the fairly portly player playing front of our group and observed he was wearing a pair of Adidas Cruiser shoes. I asked him " would you mind repairing the spike marks round the hole before leaving the green?"

back came the reply

" I have not seen any spike marks round the hole" o_O

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still use spikes in the winter when it gets wet and muddy. I can see how greens would get damaged as I've seen load of players drag their feet with the plastic cleats and causing a mark. How hard is it to pick your feet up and walk normally on a putting surface?

And if the same player had had metal spikes in the damage would be worse.