Shotscope v2 Watch ?

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry about another gps post ,Anyone got a long term review on this who owns one?this device seems to tick all the boxes I like the way you can track your shots ect any issues ?pro cons ect cheers in advance

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep I've got one...

Pro's....

Totally wear and forget.
Very effective at picking up a swing ...the only time it misses shots is when you play shots in quick succession from very similar places (like multiple attempts to get out of a bunker...but this has the upside of not registering practice swings as well!!)
Pin collect feature is effective and much faster than the old Version 1
GPS rangefinder functionality an added bonus though perhaps not as comprehensive feature wise as dedicated GPS watches - though f/ware updates have added functionality since original launch.
Online stats are well presented and as comprehensive as most folks would want....the ability to see your approach shot accuracy (i.e. distance and proximity to the flag) from a totally customisable set of yardages is a real bonus in my eyes.
Firmware updates easy to upload and implement
Easy to upload round data to the web portal and edit it.
ShotScope support is brilliant....from technical issues to course mapping issues the guys are as fast and responsive as you could want them to be.

Cons...
Battery life not fantastic...I wouldn't expect to get 2 rounds played on a single charge.
Watch is a bit bulky and agricultural looking.
Still need to do some post round editing relocating the position where shots were taken from as the device still has the same level of GPS inaccuracy as other devices....this is most obvious on tee shots and on the putting green.
The editing function does not really allow you to zoom in close enough to the green to accurately position your putts in relation to the flag....this pretty much renders the "never up never in" stat (which tracks how often you leave putts short) nigh on useless. If you knock a 20 footer to within a foot of the flag you simply cannot edit the shot with the degree of accuracy required to place it beyond or in front of the flag.

Any specific questions...by all means ask.

* By the way...I don't use any of the mobile phone related functionality....I just dont want to be messing with a phone whilst out on the course....I cannot imagine trying to do post round editing on a mobile device...I do all mine on a PC.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep I've got one...

Pro's....

Totally wear and forget.
Very effective at picking up a swing ...the only time it misses shots is when you play shots in quick succession from very similar places (like multiple attempts to get out of a bunker...but this has the upside of not registering practice swings as well!!)
Pin collect feature is effective and much faster than the old Version 1
GPS rangefinder functionality an added bonus though perhaps not as comprehensive feature wise as dedicated GPS watches - though f/ware updates have added functionality since original launch.
Online stats are well presented and as comprehensive as most folks would want....the ability to see your approach shot accuracy (i.e. distance and proximity to the flag) from a totally customisable set of yardages is a real bonus in my eyes.
Firmware updates easy to upload and implement
Easy to upload round data to the web portal and edit it.
ShotScope support is brilliant....from technical issues to course mapping issues the guys are as fast and responsive as you could want them to be.

Cons...
Battery life not fantastic...I wouldn't expect to get 2 rounds played on a single charge.
Watch is a bit bulky and agricultural looking.
Still need to do some post round editing relocating the position where shots were taken from as the device still has the same level of GPS inaccuracy as other devices....this is most obvious on tee shots and on the putting green.
The editing function does not really allow you to zoom in close enough to the green to accurately position your putts in relation to the flag....this pretty much renders the "never up never in" stat (which tracks how often you leave putts short) nigh on useless. If you knock a 20 footer to within a foot of the flag you simply cannot edit the shot with the degree of accuracy required to place it beyond or in front of the flag.

Any specific questions...by all means ask.

* By the way...I don't use any of the mobile phone related functionality....I just dont want to be messing with a phone whilst out on the course....I cannot imagine trying to do post round editing on a mobile device...I do all mine on a PC.
sounds pretty good does it function as well as other gps watches ie ....Garmin and tom Tom with regards to lay up yards front middle and back and hazard yardage’s and isit worth the money?

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve been using one for about 5 or 6 rounds now, and will agree with all the pros/cons above, the missed shots can be a little frustrating. And I’ve actually had some mid-fairway shots missed, which leads to some interesting tee shot stats.
ive also got an issue where the course I play hasn’t been mapped 100% accurately, but I’ve just been to lazy to email them to sort it out.

With regards hazard should it certainly shows front/back of water hazards, not sure of the bunkers as I don’t usually worry about the distances to those at the moment.
the watch shows distance to front, middle and back of green if that’s what you mean.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have one and it's great to use to track your game. It gives distances to front,middle and back of green. It also gives distances to water hazards,ditches,bunkers egg. It's not perfect, but does a decent job.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
sounds pretty good does it function as well as other gps watches ie ....Garmin and tom Tom with regards to lay up yards front middle and back and hazard yardage’s and isit worth the money?

I dont know as I've never used GPS watches...I prefer to use a laser and only look at the Shotscope for yardages when I'm faced with a blind shot and wouldn't know if it has the ability to suggest a lay up yardage. It used to only give yardages to FMB but a f/ware update now includes hazards. Don't forget that this is first and foremost a shot tracker and secondarily a GPS rangefinder....if you want a rangefinder decide on what features you want and pick the model which best suits....if it turns out to have shot tracking capability....great.

Whether it is worth the money is purely a function of what you want out of it. I note that the Tom Tom 2 that was recommended to you in your other thread is £25 cheaper...although I haven't used the product, a quick browse of the Tom Tom website leads me to believe that this device purely tracks when you hit shots....it appears to have no knowledge of what clubs you used to hit those shots...therefore the statistics available from it will not be as comprehensive as those from say a Gamegolf, Arccos or Shotscope system.

If you want a GPS unit that gives you some basic stats the Tom Tom could be right up your alley....but it wont tell you much you cant record on a scorecard and review after your round. If however you want a Shot Tracker that gives you a comprehensive view of all aspects of your game then you need to be looking in a different direction.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
ive also got an issue where the course I play hasn’t been mapped 100% accurately, but I’ve just been to lazy to email them to sort it out.

I emailed them about an issue with one of our tees which is hidden from the google map/earth view due to shadows from trees and its presence is not obvious....when I first played from the tee the system didn't log it as a tee shot....I emailed them with a screen shot of the particular hole with a red box drawn on showing the location of the tee. The guys at ShotScope updated their mapping within 24 hours and the next time I played a few days later it registered the tee shot perfectly.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've had several problems and not been too happy. The 1stcwatch sent barely recorded any shots and was replaced. I was told to take plenty of practice swings near the ball - not something I would normally do. I was on one course and half way down the fairway and it told me there wasn't a course within 1 km. My last round on Wednesday won't upload to the dashboard and an early round was stoped when the watch ran out of charge even though I'd charged over night.

I'm still going to persevere with it and hope that it comes good, but can say when it works as a GPS it is pretty good

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the info about the watch some good points I’m going to have a think about it for now or try and get one 2nd hand and take a gamble.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the info about the watch some good points I’m going to have a think about it for now or try and get one 2nd hand and take a gamble.

Not sure if you went ahead and bought one, but I just took the plunge yesterday....managed to get it for £185 from the Shotscope website using code major40.