Shot scope

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a Continuing high handicap who plays reasonably well but can't seem to rebuce my handicap would using something like shot scope help.
I hit the ball well but don't actually record anything after my rounds.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I use Game Golf and found it a big help in reducing my handicap. Just knowing how far you hit each club is a big advantage in my opinion. I know some will say it measures total distance and carry is more important, but I think measuring distances on the course over a longer term, is better than a few shots on a launch monitor, simulating perfect conditions. For instance, I learned that on a specific par 3 generally into wind, I needed to hit a certain club which was more than I would typically take for that distance.
Such gadgets also give you feedback on strengths and weaknesses and which distances and clubs are less accurate, and where misses occur enabling you to focus in your practice. Game Golf also enables you to compare each part of your game against typical averages for various handicaps, e.g. is your pitching equal to a typical 20 handicapper.
I have friends who use Shot Scope and find it gives similar benefits.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hmmm. I have game golf, it's fine, but unless you have a very short memory I can't believe it's gong to tell you anything you don't know. Especially if you check your card to help remember.
Im not sure if it's possible, but playing with a good player and asking them for some advice would probably be more useful.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmmm. I have game golf, it's fine, but unless you have a very short memory I can't believe it's gong to tell you anything you don't know. Especially if you check your card to help remember.

Not sure what you mean....looking back at at my cards for rounds played more than a few weeks ago I can't tell if I hit my driver 230 or 280 or took a 3 wood off the tee and whether I missed the fairway right or left, and whether i hit all the greens from, say, within 120 yards. Yes, Game Golf is no substitute for lessons but that wasn't the question posed by the OP.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure what you mean....looking back at at my cards for rounds played more than a few weeks ago I can't tell if I hit my driver 230 or 280 or took a 3 wood off the tee and whether I missed the fairway right or left, and whether i hit all the greens from, say, within 120 yards. Yes, Game Golf is no substitute for lessons but that wasn't the question posed by the OP.
I think you're missing my point (which was a particularly apposite reply to the o/p if I say so myself ;-)). I made no mention of lessons, I just suggested that if the OP wants to identify why his handicap isn't coming down it would be best served by having someone cast an eye over his on-course game than buying a bit of kit.
Somehow I get the feeling that remembering whether he missed the fairway left or right 3 weeks ago is unlikely to provide that much help in bringing the hcap down. Ymmv...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I tried ShotScope and gave up on it after only a few rounds as it just didn't pick up enough shots on the course.
I got in touch with them and explained what wasn't happening and their cure was for me to take more practice swings.....
Now, I don't take any practice swings so suddenly having to do them -and remember to do them - just didn't seem worth it.
And I've always taken issue with these devices and the distances they record.
Carry IS more important than total distance.
There are so many variables tied up in the roll of the ball after it pitches and you can't control any of them.
At the moment, most greens are soft and receptive
If you're 143 yards from the pin you want a club that you know you can carry 140-145 because when it hits its gonna sit.
If your data is from firmer conditions you might be hitting your 9 iron that far including roll
But in soft conditions you're 10-15 yards short.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
To the OP. The last couple of years around about this time I have also considered the various shot tracking options. In case you are not aware there are several smartphone apps you can try for free to give you a flavour. Some features won't be available and there is some phone use on the course so I mostly used when playing alone. Essentially you tell the app what club you are about to use and it gps your position. You can review the holes post round and various stats.

Golfpad
MyRoundPro
GameGolf

FWIW, after the scratching the itch I've not gone on to buy a "full system" yet, and typically fades into the background once the season proper kicks off.