Shot Scope V3

ianh.90

Visit site
Apologies if this is not in the correct area.

I am looking for guidance on best practice for using the shot scope v3. I got this watch at Xmas as a present and have found the tracking to be very sporadic. It does not seem to pick up all shots, especially some short game shots. The putting is very hit and miss and the pin location is always a bit off at times.

I usually putt from just off the green therefore, just wondering if people would register this as a putt when logging their stats at the end of the hole. If anyone has any guidance on how the maximised their data that would be great.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IIRC the guidance is to log all shots near the green as putts when you do the pin-collect bit to log the position of the flag. I.e. one from just off and 2 on is 3 putts in the pin-collect. Then the app will use gps to determine which putter shots are short game stats and which are putting stats.

albie999

Visit site
I am a user of the V3 Shotscope, and really like it. Shotscope have posted a number of YouTube videos to help .. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlw-TwcDeBiwcnx-2gAWbdrVTdadEwCn2, they also have a support group on facebook .. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1026086801139000 .. their customer service and support is superb. I had an issue with my V3, contact CS and after trying to troubleshoot, they then replaced the watch FOC as well as reimbursing the P&P as well

Def do not give up on the V3. In my last round it did not pick up 5 shots, but these were short distance LW shots, where I gripped down, also, this was only the 1st round with the replacement watch, as the watch learns how you play over a number of rounds to get more accurate

Come along to the FB group

Gkinghrn

Visit site
Apologies if this is not in the correct area.

I am looking for guidance on best practice for using the shot scope v3. I got this watch at Xmas as a present and have found the tracking to be very sporadic. It does not seem to pick up all shots, especially some short game shots. The putting is very hit and miss and the pin location is always a bit off at times.

I usually putt from just off the green therefore, just wondering if people would register this as a putt when logging their stats at the end of the hole. If anyone has any guidance on how the maximised their data that would be great.
I agree with you ..it’s completely Hit and miss in my experience. Out of around 30 rounds it’s yet to record a single one properly. Shots are missed , wrong clubs are identified and the putting is prone to human error.

i dont have a driver in my bag yet every round it records a driver somewhere …

in my experience it’s absolute rubbish … takes ages (10 minutes +) to get a gps lock … this needs so many improvements I would not recommend it to anyone at this stage …

don’t believe the hype ! Every time I speak to support there is always some excuse as to why it didn’t pick up shots. Today it missed 13 , yes 13 , shots from my round … nonsense..

Springveldt

Visit site
I agree with you ..it’s completely Hit and miss in my experience. Out of around 30 rounds it’s yet to record a single one properly. Shots are missed , wrong clubs are identified and the putting is prone to human error.

i dont have a driver in my bag yet every round it records a driver somewhere …

in my experience it’s absolute rubbish … takes ages (10 minutes +) to get a gps lock … this needs so many improvements I would not recommend it to anyone at this stage …

don’t believe the hype ! Every time I speak to support there is always some excuse as to why it didn’t pick up shots. Today it missed 13 , yes 13 , shots from my round … nonsense..
I’ve played 7 rounds with it now and the only shots it has missed for me is if I duff one 10 yards in front and just march up and hit again with no practice swing.
If I take practice swings it records everything perfectly for me. Maybe yours is broken?

Gkinghrn

Visit site
no doubt there will be a few duff shots in there like you describe but .... you just hit a shot (after practicing a few swings) so it knows what club you have and the watch is active .... you then swing that same club again with no practice and the shot isnt recorded.... why isnt it recorded? It's gone to sleep too soon??

I think the real issue is it goes to sleep too much and doent stay 'alive' presumably to save battery life .....

at the end of the day a device like this needs to cope with how different folk use it within reason. The game is hard enough without having to remember all the different things you have to do to make it track the club in your hand.

And how on earth can it pick up a driver when I have a 4i in my hand and the driver is left at home ..... thats just rubbish....

Maybe it is knackered - I've got some testing to do with them to prove/disprove .

Right now it is completely undependable (and dont me started on the fact it takes 5-10 minutes to get a GPS lock on the course I play twice a week and it cant do stableford scoring and doesnt allow manual override unless you are sitting at the screen after the round is finished ....

This feels like a beta watch right now ..

Springveldt

Visit site
I’ve never had it get the club wrong, it works correctly every time for me. As I’ve said, if I take practice swings it works perfectly for me. I think the stoping movement then practice swinging must give the system time to register that you are about to play a shot as it doesn’t work on sound or vibrations.

Mine also takes a while to gps lock at the start of the round, I just start it when I get out the car and once it’s locked I pause it until I get on the first tee. That way I can still warm up, hit putts and chips etc without it trying to register them.

Obviously we are having different experiences with it as I think it’s great. I used a Garmin for years before this and ShotScope tracks just as well, if not better than the Garmin and the stats are light years ahead.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
no doubt there will be a few duff shots in there like you describe but .... you just hit a shot (after practicing a few swings) so it knows what club you have and the watch is active .... you then swing that same club again with no practice and the shot isnt recorded.... why isnt it recorded? It's gone to sleep too soon??

I think the real issue is it goes to sleep too much and doent stay 'alive' presumably to save battery life .....

at the end of the day a device like this needs to cope with how different folk use it within reason. The game is hard enough without having to remember all the different things you have to do to make it track the club in your hand.

And how on earth can it pick up a driver when I have a 4i in my hand and the driver is left at home ..... thats just rubbish....

Maybe it is knackered - I've got some testing to do with them to prove/disprove .

Right now it is completely undependable (and dont me started on the fact it takes 5-10 minutes to get a GPS lock on the course I play twice a week and it cant do stableford scoring and doesnt allow manual override unless you are sitting at the screen after the round is finished ....

This feels like a beta watch right now ..

Most problems are down to users not using it properly and the odd hardware problem. It takes 5 minutes to lock onto the GPS, so what? It's not difficult to start the process when you get to the club.
The reason it is saying you are hitting driver is because it has not picked up your tee shot so defaults to driver, which is logical. Ive used mine for 30+ rounds this year with very few problems. It works in a way I accept and am happy. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it a bad product.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday using mine for first time in a ages and it only missed two shots the whole round and both on same hole, generally happy with it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And this sums up my problem with all of these tracking systems..
How do you know if a shot has been misread, mis-clubbed or missed completely?
By going through the data shot by shot..every round..it's the only way.
I like the idea of these systems but if they're not 100% reliable then I'm really not interested
Life's too short to be going through 70-100 shots, or however many you've taken, just to make sure I took a 6 iron of the 12th and that I was just on the fairway but the yardage was 167 not 162....

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Life's too short to be going through 70-100 shots, or however many you've taken, just to make sure I took a 6 iron of the 12th and that I was just on the fairway but the yardage was 167 not 162....

Most people who don't play the game would say life's too short for golf (or test match cricket) but that doesn't stop us! Personally I can remember every shot from tee to green in my previous round and I always have a scorecard as well. I've got post round editing down to a fine art so it really is only putting that takes time. It doesn't matter the system is not 100% accurate or not as the more rounds you play, the more accurate the average data becomes, even if it misses shots.
Personally I don't read too much into the data, I really just use it to see if I'm improving or not eg am I taking less putts, hitting more fairways or girs etc. For that, it is very good

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I played Friday, had the V3 about a month now and have used it a few times properly.

GPS locked instantly, genuinely within 2 seconds of me starting the 'Play' function. In terms of picking up shots, the only ones it missed were multiple shots out of the same bunker, everything else is picked up without problem. A quick glance at your wrist to see that the club is showing on the watch is a great way of double checking before you play your shot.

Putting is probably the only area where it can really be off for me, in terms of picking up the exact pin, but I can go through my whole round within 5 minutes to sort out any errors and if I do it on the same day it's easy enough to remember the pin locations.