Shorter Long Irons ???

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I sacked off the 4 and 5 irons last year and the best thing I've done equipment wise for a long time. I could hit my longer irons and while not having the same issues with height, had the same issues with consistency. The OP could get a lesson initially and see if there is a technical reason for the consistency (and check the fit) but I wonder if like me, the longer irons became more a mental issue which the hybrids have freed

Yeah I think it's definitely mental for me. I have been to a toptracer range lately and when I do hit my 5 iron it's the same distance as my 7 iron so not much use!
I think a hybrid or two is on the cards - although I can't believe how much they cost these days :O

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm short, but it turns out I only needed .25" off my irons. I use standard length with my woods. I agree that it could be a technical issue rather than the club. Also is the 175 with the 7iron a one off or is it your average carry?

175 is my average carry yes, around about 185-190 total distance. I'm off to a toptracer range soon to check my yardages!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah I think it's definitely mental for me. I have been to a toptracer range lately and when I do hit my 5 iron it's the same distance as my 7 iron so not much use!
I think a hybrid or two is on the cards - although I can't believe how much they cost these days :O
I got my two second hand of a well known website some on here don't like me to mention. I guess it depends on whether you want new or happy with second hand and which make you want and how old. There are bargains out there

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
175 is my average carry yes, around about 185-190 total distance. I'm off to a toptracer range soon to check my yardages!

can you post a vid of your swing? genuinely think more chance the problem from 7i to 5i is about 8 degrees less loft than the extra shaft length esp if you are delofting the iron at impact and if thats the case then shortening shaft/buying a hybrid not necessarily going to solve your problem

what degree loft is your driver and how far do you carry that?

easy solution is still to have half hour with a local pro

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

With that amount of distance I'd guess you can generate enough speed to use long irons, I think it'll be a technical issue - I'd go and see a pro.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
popped into my mates place this morning and when i was there a guy brought in a set of Mizuno MP64 , that he was given my his FIL. the shafts were 1 3/4 inch longer, with midsize grips and 3 laters of tape. when the grips were off they had 2 plugs in, who ever they were built for must have been 7 ft tall and hands like shovels.

no 5 iron i'm guessing the guy didnt need one

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dropped the 5 iron from the bag a couple of years ago when I stopped range pounding.

When I used to range pound the 5 was the iron I used.

For me it has always been the club which shows up swing faults the best.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
can you post a vid of your swing? genuinely think more chance the problem from 7i to 5i is about 8 degrees less loft than the extra shaft length esp if you are delofting the iron at impact and if thats the case then shortening shaft/buying a hybrid not necessarily going to solve your problem

After watching a video or two I hink I am hitting down on my 5 rather than picking ot off the top! Off to the range to stick it on a small tee and see if I can make better contact.

Driver wise... Ping G20 10.5 Deg Stiff standard shaft. I did goto TopTracer range and I was launching it low - like 7 Degress :( so definitely hitting down. I was carrying it 220 and longest was around 260 but generally 250 yds. Ball speed 146 mph average. Height 14 yd LOL!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After watching a video or two I hink I am hitting down on my 5 rather than picking ot off the top! Off to the range to stick it on a small tee and see if I can make better contact.

Driver wise... Ping G20 10.5 Deg Stiff standard shaft. I did goto TopTracer range and I was launching it low - like 7 Degress :( so definitely hitting down. I was carrying it 220 and longest was around 260 but generally 250 yds. Ball speed 146 mph average. Height 14 yd LOL!
There’s your answer.
You can hit a 7i 190 yds but driver only 250 yds.
So there is a swing fault.
Look on the bright side , you don’t need new clubs just some instruction.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I think this is interesting and probably more to my original point. Each club length is a slightly different swing (and video) and we've all seen how Bryson deals with it and my questions was why do my 5 and 6 iron need to be a different length?
Why can't they be a 7 iron length with a different loft and I can have a more repeatable swing? Just a thought :)
There’s your answer.
You can hit a 7i 190 yds but driver only 250 yds.
So there is a swing fault.
Look on the bright side , you don’t need new clubs just some instruction.

I'm gonna get a few range sessions groove in my wedges etc. and then yeah I will get a lesson or two!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think this is interesting and probably more to my original point. Each club length is a slightly different swing (and video) and we've all seen how Bryson deals with it and my questions was why do my 5 and 6 iron need to be a different length?
Why can't they be a 7 iron length with a different loft and I can have a more repeatable swing? Just a thought :)

I'm gonna get a few range sessions groove in my wedges etc. and then yeah I will get a lesson or two!

The argument for different lengths is to ensure an increased swing speed to make the lower loft worthwhile, if you had the same length and just changed the loft then your distances would likely be too close together. The counter to that is the one length irons the likes of Cobra have manufactured, may be worth you have a look at them (the downside for some becomes the longer length short irons)

If it were me I would definitely get a pro/club fitter to have a look, ideally with trackman/gc2 to be able to look at angle of attack, dynamic loft, launch angle and spin rate

Hard to offer firm conclusions without seeing your swing and ideally the data :)