Shorter Long Irons ???

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

So I'm 6" 4" left handed and my Ping i20 clubs are 1" longer than standard.

Now I can hit my 7 iron (effectively a 5 iron length) pretty well around 175 yards but I can't hit my 5 or 6 iron consistently - just too long!

I know I can go down the hybrid route for 5 iron, but any thoughts on going down the Bryson route and cutting my 5 iron down an inch to more of a standard length 5 iron?? (lie / loft changes obviously!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mattie

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
were you fitted by a pro for those??

being tall doesn't nes mean you need longer shafts, i'm not as tall as you at only 6ft, but i have longish arms so the old Mizuno legnth suites me just right, if i try and other Manufacturer or the new Mizi irons i just can't hit them.

i wouldn't tinker about myself i would take pro advice TBH

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Now I can hit my 7 iron (effectively a 5 iron length) pretty well around 175 yards but I can't hit my 5 or 6 iron consistently - just too long!

I know I can go down the hybrid route for 5 iron, but any thoughts on going down the Bryson route and cutting my 5 iron down an inch to more of a standard length 5 iron?? (lie / loft changes obviously!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mattie
I would get on a track man and find out first why you can’t hit 5/6 iron.
A good fitter will fix this in a session.
So before you start cutting anything down check it out first.
I assume you have tried just going down the grip on the irons.
175 for 7 iron is very long so not a simple fix without seeing the swing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

being tall doesn't nes mean you need longer shafts, i'm not as tall as you at only 6ft, but i have longish arms so the old Mizuno legnth suites me just right, if i try and other Manufacturer or the new Mizi irons i just can't hit them.

This is good advice.
I am 6’ 1” but have always played standard length shafts because it’s your wrist to floor measurements that dictate this.
I knew I had long arms when I couldn’t find any jumpers that had arms long enough.
But most golf stuff has longer arms.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is good advice.
I am 6’ 1” but have always played standard length shafts because it’s your wrist to floor measurements that dictate this.
I knew I had long arms when I couldn’t find any jumpers that had arms long enough.
But most golf stuff has longer arms.
i think the old Mizuno before 2018 were 1/4 shorter and the lie was diff, they are now the same as everyone else

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just sack the longer irons off and get hybrids. Much easier, and you probably won't be worried about the length of them since they're typically a bit longer than irons anyway.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi All

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mattie

Is the issue definitely the length of the clubs thats causing your inconsistency? It may be the lack of loft, especially if you are delofting your irons generally which could be possible?

Would get a pro to take a look before doing anything personally, it may be that you decrease the length gap between irons at the top end of the bag (ie only go 1/2 inch longer than standard) but a decent pro/fitter should be able to steer you in the right direction

FWIW my irons are longer than standard all the way down to 3 iron because thats what works for me

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i think the old Mizuno before 2018 were 1/4 shorter and the lie was diff, they are now the same as everyone else
I was told years ago .
It was because the average height of a Japan golfer was shorter than a UK golfer but never really believed it.
Is there a reason for the shorter shaft?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
ng
I was told years ago .
It was because the average height of a Japan golfer was shorter than a UK golfer but never really believed it.

I was told the same thing by a Ping fitter about 8 years ago. I didn't believe it then either. Maybe if you were getting fitted in Japan where they they may not have so many longer lengths, but surely the point of fitting custom clubs in the UK is to fit the shaft to the length we need, and they (Mizuno) would be geared to the UK market fitting here.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was told years ago .
i didn't know that, until last fitting i went to for the MP20 and the mizuno guy told me, then someone mentioned it on here that they had always been short due to then being shorter in Japan, always hit Mizuno's well but when ever i tried any irons from another OEM, struggled to hit them. now i know why:LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ng

I was told the same thing by a Ping fitter about 8 years ago. I didn't believe it then either. Maybe if you were getting fitted in Japan where they they may not have so many longer lengths, but surely the point of fitting custom clubs in the UK is to fit the shaft to the length we need, and they (Mizuno) would be geared to the UK market fitting here.
Talking before fitting was common .
Bought most of my irons off the shelf from the pro shop.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i didn't know that, until last fitting i went to for the MP20 and the mizuno guy told me, then someone mentioned it on here that they had always been short due to then being shorter in Japan, always hit Mizuno's well but when ever i tried any irons from another OEM, struggled to hit them. now i know why:LOL:
So looks like it might be true.
I wasn’t good enough then to tell the difference

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think ultimately longer clubs are harder to his consistently. Especially if you already feel under pressure as you are hitting a tougher shot and you are aware that more things can, and are likely to, go wrong.

This being the case, there's no magic bullet - but I'd say really practice hitting the current clubs, either at a range, or take them and use them off the tee, or on a lay-up, where you have a large target - i.e. when you aren't going to feel the pressure and try and get a bit of confidence 1st.

It might not the be the exciting answer, but more than likely you can learn to hit the current clubs as well as any alternatives you might get.

Save the hybrids for a 3 or 4 iron alternative, in my view.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I sacked off the 4 and 5 irons last year and the best thing I've done equipment wise for a long time. I could hit my longer irons and while not having the same issues with height, had the same issues with consistency. The OP could get a lesson initially and see if there is a technical reason for the consistency (and check the fit) but I wonder if like me, the longer irons became more a mental issue which the hybrids have freed

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi, Yes! I was indeed fitted by a pro but that was 10 years ago and I probabyl didn't have a great swing to be honest.

I wasn't going to hack an inch off but I guess gripping down is worth trying and a few lessons and maybe a maintenance/trackman session would be of help!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm short, but it turns out I only needed .25" off my irons. I use standard length with my woods. I agree that it could be a technical issue rather than the club. Also is the 175 with the 7iron a one off or is it your average carry?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you can hit your 7 iron well, the extra centimetre on your 6 iron won't make any difference to hitting it well.
How long do you spend practicing?

I'm now back playing afer 4 or 5 years off and before that I was at the range 3 times a week. I have just re-gripped my 6 iron so might well give that ago and see then progress to the 5 iron!