Shortening my putter, should i?

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So after getting my hands on the new Scotty putters I have taken a shine to the new Matador oversized grips.
I also noticed that most of the new models came in a 33 length, my old school model is a 35.
The shorter putter with the larger grip felt so much more natural for me when I went back to my own putter. My hands feel very "up & out" and I sometimes catch the heel of the putter on shorter shots.
So if I fancy a new grip, can I get my current putter "fitted"? I don't want a nnew one, just the Del Mar shortened and the lie possibly changed.
Anyone have any experience or recomendations?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So after getting my hands on the new Scotty putters I have taken a shine to the new Matador oversized grips.
I also noticed that most of the new models came in a 33 length, my old school model is a 35.
The shorter putter with the larger grip felt so much more natural for me when I went back to my own putter. My hands feel very "up & out" and I sometimes catch the heel of the putter on shorter shots.
So if I fancy a new grip, can I get my current putter "fitted"? I don't want a nnew one, just the Del Mar shortened and the lie possibly changed.
Anyone have any experience or recomendations?
I normally shorten my putters to about 33", which is approximately my floor to wrist measurement. Main problem with this is that it considerably reduces the swing weight of the club, so I have to add lead tape to the head to bring it back up. Alternative is lead pellets or Tungsten powder in the head or shaft.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
P.S. Putters were traditionally 35" to fit in a standard golf bag. Unless you are 6'6" with arms like a T-Rex, this is too long for most players!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
P.S. Putters were traditionally 35" to fit in a standard golf bag. Unless you are 6'6" with arms like a T-Rex, this is too long for most players!

NO IT ISN'T. This isn't the first time you've spouted this nonsense and I know many players of different heights and builds of very low numbers or pro who happily use 35" putters. In terms of the OP the putter grip is lively and much nicer feeling than the thin pistol grip style usually put on these. I spoke to the Titleist guys at Silvermere and this is a result of customer feedback in part. I would put one on and keep the putter the same length if you are happy with that

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If a putter takes my fancy, I always buy it (usually second-hand) then shorten it to suit. Did this with my current Odyssey and it's now the best putter I've ever owned.

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm just about to shorten mine, as it's an old style 35" model, will add a fat grip of sorts and face balance it with some metal putty stuff I have in the garage - quick clean up and some enamel paint in the sights and she's goings to be a an absolute weapon!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

I see.

That would explain why my putting dramatically IMPROVED when I moved from a 34" to 40" putter?

......... :mad:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had not so much a putter fitting but a biomechanical fitting to improve my stroke and consistency. My present putter has gone from 34" to 35.75" and, it's freed my stroke up, standing taller and turning the sternum. Always had 34" putters and I won't be going back as I feel loads better and better role on the ball.

So so shorter doesn't necessarily mean better.
im 5ft 11" by the way.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2 weeks ago I shortened my putter from 34 - 33inch then had a Winn 1.60 grip fitted. It is amazing and I love it. If it feels right then do it.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had mine shortened from 35 to 34 inches and still grip at the bottom of the grip. Will be having another inch cut off in the near future. It's personal preference as far as I'm concerned so if you want it shorter then try gripping down the club and see how it feels.