Shortened backswing = back injury?!

Idlewild

Visit site
Just over a month ago I shortened my backswing (hands to 9 o'clock) with fantastic results.
I know it was about then as I played for my club in an away day competition involving 100 golfers in 25 teams of four and came joint top of the individual scores while we came second in the team competition. Then the next day I won an away match at another club, despite a back injury half way through the round which meant I couldn't finish a couple of holes but still hung on to win (due to playing well above my handicap)
Would anyone know if this injury was likely to be due to the shorter backswing?
I used to have a full backswing, but bend my left arm way too much and hit with the arms more, with the result that I hit weakish fades all the time. The short backswing means you have to drive more with the body and the resulting shots go where I aim them with a little bit of draw and everything comes off the middle of the club.
Its made an incredible difference that would be even more marked if I could overcome 30 years of playing for a fade that sometimes leads me to miss left as I'm aiming there!
I fear that this powering the swing with the trunk has caused the injury to a body that's not used to it though and I have been unable to play since then.
Anybody else tried this and got injured?
I'm hoping I caused the injury by the weight training I was doing, otherwise it seems as if I won't be able to persevere with it.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go to a pro as soon as possible. It might be that you're over rotating in the backswing to compensate for a shorter arm swing, or not. You might be early extending, or not. Loads of feel vs real issues here to be sure of the cause of your back pain, and I reckon that a £25 lesson for diagnosis would be money well spent.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely a qualified physio could give you better advice than an amateur golfer.

I have suffered from back injuries since my teenage years. Sometimes I have been able to play with it and sometimes not. Many a time I have simply put the club that was in my hand back in the bag and left the course regardless of the nature of the game. I play for a hobby and not for a living.

Ps I played with a 90 degree swing for about 9 months with great results, still playing to a single figure handicap.

Idlewild

Visit site
Yes, I just wondered if anybody else had got the same injury for the same reason, as a physio wouldn't necessarily know what caused it.
I might have got it with an exercise I was doing with weights (I hope so!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get a professional diagnosis. If you ever have lessons, show your new swing to the pro and see if he can explain if your movements are putting excess strain on the back. The main thing though is not to push it and cause further damage

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I just wondered if anybody else had got the same injury for the same reason, as a physio wouldn't necessarily know what caused it.
I'm with Jim, except I wouldn't be starting with a physio as they are generally there to deliver treatments rather than diagnose.
First off you need to establish exactly what injury you have.
Once that is established you can involve the other professionals in resolving it and taking appropriate steps to minimise the risk of re-occurance. That may involve changes to your golf swing, or it may not.
It could be a one off injury, it could be a result of a new loading on a pre-existing weakness (short or long term) - and within those there are literally thousands of possible combinations.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You don’t say where the injury is.
I injured my back playing tennis years ago it’s just between my spine and right shoulder blade .
It flares up now and again in golf especially when the ground is hard (summer).

It’s possible you are loading on the transition to much to compensate for your shorter swing .
As has been said you need to find out what’s causing it so you can deal with it properly.
A pro with a video camera so if nessesary you could show the vid to a physio would help imo.