Short Pitch / Long chip help

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My weak part that is holding me back and wasting shots is my short pitch / long chip shots

I tend to leave them short

This is shots 15 to 20 yards approx where you have a hazard or rough to clear so not bump and run

Any tips, please note i use the tradional chipping style not the Putt chip style

Should i use more wrist break ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So! For example; you want to pitch a ball over a greenside bunker onto the green and have it stop up on landing. Is that right?

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If that is right it is a 58deg wedge with feet close together and half swing to get high short pitch. Works for me but I had it taught by a pro and it needed some practice.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most of us will admit to leaving chips and pitches short.
Two tips from me would be.
1. practice with a coupe of wedges and see how far they roll out once they have landed,
this will help you visualise the shot,and choose your landing distance.
2.This tip was given on hear ages ago,chip to the top of the flag,as apposed to the bottom,its
difficult but it will be beneficial.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
therod and I came up with a good solution yesterday. Fat or thin your shot to a better yardage and then put that chip to less than three feet. We must have done that about 6 times between us yesterday!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The biggest killer I see in people I play with is not committing.

Long backswing then slow down into the ball = bad result most of the time.

Commit and make sure you accelerate into the ball.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yup, I agree thats really common! Often accompanied by too much loft for the shot, why hit a lob shot over nothin' but the short stuff?

I can't really comment, I have absolutely no touch to my short game thanks to barely an hours practice since September time!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
At this time of year with very soft greens I play these shots with my 60* wedge and really knock down on the ball and try to skip it in. During the summer I'd be trying to clear the hazard with height and let the ball release. It very much depends on the pin location too.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
therod and I came up with a good solution yesterday. Fat or thin your shot to a better yardage and then put that chip to less than three feet. We must have done that about 6 times between us yesterday!

I never leave mine short....

When I get within the target range, I invariably manage to thin the ball through the green.. I then try and cut down the distance I thin the next shot, so that each one gets me a little closer to the hole. :rofl:

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So! For example; you want to pitch a ball over a greenside bunker onto the green and have it stop up on landing. Is that right?

Yep that is a typical situation, or 15 yards of rough to clear and land and roll out 6ft !

I have the following wedges

48 deg, which i use for most chip shots and vary my shot to suit distance

52 deg sometimes use this for more lofted shots

56 deg mainly bunkers when sand is fluffy

60 deg low bounce, bunkers only when sand compact

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep that is a typical situation, or 15 yards of rough to clear and land and roll out 6ft !

I have the following wedges

48 deg, which i use for most chip shots and vary my shot to suit distance

52 deg sometimes use this for more lofted shots

56 deg mainly bunkers when sand is fluffy

60 deg low bounce, bunkers only when sand compact

if you want to restrict roll out to 6', over a 15 yard shot, you are going to have to use spin ie a natural shot with even the 60 degree club will want to roll out at least that. such shots are not as straight forard as they sound - ball back in stance, accelerate through with soft hands leading all the way....... simples :)

however, if the ball is sitting up and you can lob it softly with the 60 this becomes another option.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I was told once to make sure the follow through is longer than the backswing as this means you'll accelerate through it. Works for me

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I tend to practice the power next to the ball until i say to myself, YES that's how i hard i want to hit it
then i remember the same feeling and hit the balls