Sharpest emotional peak you've experienced

sjw

Visit site
What is the most elated you've ever felt on a golf course only to be swiftly knocked back down again?

On Saturday, I crushed the best drive of my life, cutting off a dog leg on what is statistically my worst hole on my home course. It's downhill, too, so I think this would have been my first drive touching 300 yards. Ecstatic!

When I got down there, I couldn't find my ball anywhere - I think I'd actually pumped it right over the dog leg into the horrible stuff on the other side. Ended up with a double bogey (or maybe even a triple, I can't remember - I blocked it out) after a drop, which remains, I suspect, the best I've ever scored on this hole.

So lets hear your emotional rollercoaster stories - it won't necessarily be the happiest you've ever felt, but the happiest you've been that's been followed by a swift kick where it hurts

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Mines a classic - made a par 5 in 2 for the first time ever, quite soon after starting golf

Beautiful drive, stunning second - 15/20 feet to the hole for Eagle

Made Bogey

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I once started a medal round with a hole in one. And then proceeded to shoot 110 round a par 68...

It was the club BBQ day on the Saturday and I indulged a little too much in the beverages. Got about 2 hours sleep and the rocked up on the tee at half 9 on the Sunday, still absolutely jaked, and sclaffed my tee shot which miraculously found the hole (par 3 start).

It was also the hottest day of the year and all I could smell and taste all the way round was alcohol and regret. If someone had offered to take me in to the woods at the 9th and shoot me, I'd happily let them lead the way.

sjw

Visit site
Mines a classic - made a par 5 in 2 for the first time ever, quite soon after starting golf

Beautiful drive, stunning second - 15/20 feet to the hole for Eagle

Made Bogey
Same round I hit a couple of GIRs only to make bogey as I just wasn't hitting putts hard enough. Idiot.

D

Deleted member 29109

once started with 3 birdies. Then fell apart.

Shot 4 under gross on the front 9. Snap hooked my drive OB on 10. Fell apart.

Last year I had a hole in one. Shanked the next tee shot.

The golf gods know how to keep us in our place.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Being level par on the 10th in a comp off about 16 at the time, brimming of confidence, bravado, balls, nothing could go wrong…. I tee’d off on the yellows. Only 5 yards different on that hole to the whites. Playing partners said don’t worry about it, wont make a difference but being an honest man I gave myself the two shot penalty and my head fell off from there. Shot my handicap in the end.
Bloody striped it down the 10th as well, A1.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
played a uni match.
5 down 6 to play

won 4 on the bounce, opponent was looking shaky.

17th par 4, absolutely nailed my drive straight down the middle, opponent sliced his into the trees, thought I was going to tie the match going down the last with the momentum.

Ball should have been close to the green, no sign of it. Opponent made a 6, I walked back to the tee to reload, finished with a 6 to go dormie

deflated, halved the last to lose 1 down

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
We've got a downhill 210 yard Par 3 and at the weekend, for about 3 seconds I genuinely thought I'd aced it, only to see it lip out and roll off about 8ft in the other direction.

For anyone who has ever got an ace, I can only imagine the feeling because for those 3 seconds I was on another level with adrenaline haha

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Twice in the last year I've reached a par 5 in two and three-putted. Never been quite as gutted to make a par than that.

I still remember when I was a kid and a complete beginner, playing with my dad one time, the last hole on this scrappy public 9-holer was a par 3. I hit one straight towards the pin, a little bit think, but I genuinely thought it had a chance of going in. Missed the hole by no more than an inch.. then rolled straight through the back into a bunker. Nowadays I'm desensitised to this sort of thing as it's standard golf fare, but at the time it was a rollercoaster. :LOL:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being level par on the 10th in a comp off about 16 at the time, brimming of confidence, bravado, balls, nothing could go wrong…. I tee’d off on the yellows. Only 5 yards different on that hole to the whites. Playing partners said don’t worry about it, wont make a difference but being an honest man I gave myself the two shot penalty and my head fell off from there. Shot my handicap in the end.
Bloody striped it down the 10th as well, A1.

Haha, this was almost me in last year's club champs round 1. 3 over gross standing on the 18th tee (off 8 at the time). Par 5, fairly long but with a good drive it's reachable. All that was in my head was "don't do anything stupid, don't do anything stupid"... walked off with a 9 that could have been so much worse.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Played in a County Foursomes for my club a few years ago at another course. My first representative match and I was bricking it.

In that format each club has two pairs playing, and both matches are played to a finish at 18, regardless of score. The two results are combined to give the final match score.

I’m delighted to say I played out of my skin, and my partner left me a 15 footer at the last to win our match 1-up. I rolled it in and felt like I’d won a major.

One of our opponents was the most pompous man I’ve ever set foot on a golf course with. Having clearly already established his club’s other pair had won by a greater margin than we did (I didn’t know the other result), he walked over, shook my hand and said “Well played, shame you lost.”

Never has the wind been taken out of my sails so emphatically. I could have punched him.

sjw

Visit site
Played in a County Foursomes for my club a few years ago at another course. My first representative match and I was bricking it.

In that format each club has two pairs playing, and both matches are played to a finish at 18, regardless of score. The two results are combined to give the final match score.

I’m delighted to say I played out of my skin, and my partner left me a 15 footer at the last to win our match 1-up. I rolled it in and felt like I’d won a major.

One of our opponents was the most pompous man I’ve ever set foot on a golf course with. Having clearly already established his club’s other pair had won by a greater margin than we did (I didn’t know the other result), he walked over, shook my hand and said “Well played, shame you lost.”

Never has the wind been taken out of my sails so emphatically. I could have punched him.

Ouch, did you manage to bite your tongue? I don't know if I would've been able to hold back. Something like, "congrats on the win, shame you couldn't contribute" or something like that.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Ouch, did you manage to bite your tongue? I don't know if I would've been able to hold back. Something like, "congrats on the win, shame you couldn't contribute" or something like that.

I was too stunned to reply to be honest. It’s the most smug I have ever seen anyone after a round of golf.

4LEX

Visit site
I once started a medal round par, par, albatross and then hit the pin on a long par 3. Ended up -5 front nine and then shot +8 on the back nine. That's golf :whistle:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Back in April, Board Comp Medal par 71
Murdered the front 9 going round in 39 or 4 over gross (playing handicap 27)
Beat @Imurg gross too ?

Then normality kicked in and played the back 9 15 over.

Net 64 Won the board comp, but talk about a game of 2 halves John.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A scratch game away at Yeovil years ago against the newly crowned county champion. I was level par and 3 down with 3 holes to play. Downhill par 5 16th and I knocked it on in two for an easy birdie to get to 2 down with two holes to play. The 17th is a short uphill dog leg par 4. We both drove to the top of the hill and the corner of the dog leg which left us about 80 yards to the hole. My opponent went first and stiffed it to gimme range. My shot bounced twice and then dropped in the hole for an eagle 2 and the win. Unfortunately my birdie putt on the last missed so we halved the hole in par and I lost the match 1 down. Holing that shot when I had to was an amazing adrenaline rush. Probably my best “Ryder Cup moment” to date.