Shanks! Please help!

Albo

Visit site
Went to practice again this morning, same thing, good shot after good shot with the odd shank thrown in, then bang, shank after shank. Watched a load of youtube vids, finally found one that made me think what was making me come over the top, leading with right shoulder, rather than arms.

Went out this afternoon played 10 holes (with lots of practice balls as the course was slow) 3 shanks in there, which is a marked improvement from last time I was out when it was maybe 3 good shots!

Not fully fixed but feeling more confident, however, the fall off in distance from my pre shank rounds was huge. Can't have everything!

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Feel your pain.

Pumped 40 balls into the long grass on our practice ground yesterday. 75% right, 25% left.

Ran out of balls in under an hour. Nearly in tears walking back to the car!

Not sure I want to play any more until I can fix it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Without being rude, when they happen, everybody tries to help and you’ll get conflicting “good” advice.

See a Pro, it’s the best and quickest way, he/she will sort you out.(y)
This....

you need to find out what the problem is not tinker with different fixes that might not be cause of the problem and could make things worse in the long run

D

Deleted member 16999

This....

you need to find out what the problem is not tinker with different fixes that might not be cause of the problem and could make things worse in the long run
Exactly, we pay hundreds if not thousands for our clubs and memeberships and then some won’t pay a few pounds on a fix and would rather risk tinkering or accepting incorrect advice.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit a few balls at the range yesterday, first time in a few weeks as I had walked off the course after yet another J Arthur. No shanks at the range but still soooo little confidence, I have booked a lesson next week hopefully to sort me out, I really do not want to play again unless I can stop embarrassing myself

D

Deleted member 16999

I hit a few balls at the range yesterday, first time in a few weeks as I had walked off the course after yet another J Arthur. No shanks at the range but still soooo little confidence, I have booked a lesson next week hopefully to sort me out, I really do not want to play again unless I can stop embarrassing myself
This was a bigger problem for me, the mental side, the not wanting to be on the course, the nervousness stood over every shot and the worrying about playing partners.

Fact is though 99% of fellow Golfers are sympathetic and are willing you to hit a good shot.

Good luck it’ll be sorted quickly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That is one of my faults. The other issue I have is getting the weight forward in the toes as I swing which changes the path and introduces the hosel to the ball
...and no hip turn was also one of mine. Knew about it and played with it for more than 30yrs - but as i'd grooved my swing, almost completely avoided Lucy Lockets, and got down middle single figures - I was reluctant to change what was working. Until it stopped working...And oh boy.

So my solution - grip the club 'properly' i.e. with a bit of grip showing - pro tells me that without doing anything else for me this produces slightly more upright stance and a clubhead toe pointing less up in the air; and do what pro advised after a lesson - check my take-away as that will help me do some form of a hip turn going back, and think hitting ball off the toe of the club. And that's what's stopped the flow of the Lucy Lockets. Still hit some rubbish shots as I can overdo things...but not unmentionables.

Last edited:

Albo

Visit site
Biggest issue I had, I'm up in St Andrews this weekend, Pro can't get me a lesson till middle of next week. Had to try and fix myself or St Andrews is a bust. 7am at the New course tomorrow. Wish me luck

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nice free lesson in our back garden off our head pro last night. He was round with my daughter for dinner. He spotted immediately that my grip was not great - so new grip and as a result new address position. Thing is - I have known my address was not right for a long time but as I thought it was working ok I didn’t want to change it. And of course everyone knows how to grip the club properly so could be no issue there surely....Don’t they?

Grip feels weird (I had LH grip too much in palm of hand and not in fingers), and as much as address looking down at club shaft angle and club head looks very different, i can sense the difference it’ll make. He described all that my previous Grip and address would likely cause (Including Lucy lockets) and he was spot on. Will have to hits some balls on the range this evening...or before I go out in captains day comps tomorrow pm.

It’s a new dawn - it’s a new day - it’s a new life.

Albo

Visit site
Played this morning, hit 1 shank all round!! Didn't play great but weather was brilliant and I was first out managed to get away from those behind quickly and pretty much had the course to myself after the 3rd.