Shafts input on Launch Angle and Offset Question.

A

Alex1975

Dear All,

I am interested in a shafts input on the launch angle of the ball in the first part of its flight. I am aware that the shaft will dictate the flight of the ball over all but is it the head that deals with the launch angle?

I have a Mizuno JPX 800 fli hi with lots of offset and low COG so it has to be a high launch head and it is fitted with a PX 5.5 shaft that is either low launch or mid/low depending where you get your info. In effect are they fighting one another or does the head get the ball up in the air in the first part of its flight and then the shaft makes that flight a little flatter?

Contrary to popular opinion offset is not meant to help close the club head it is meant to move the CG back behind the shaft axis thus creating launch. GI clubs come with lots off offset so if you want a a forgiving club it seems you have to have a high launch club. I want a low launch club as I have a naturally high ball flight and as a result I have ended up with players clubs and lose all forgiveness.

What I want to know is (to stop me rambling on any longer) is the launch angle dictated by the head and the flight dictated by the shaft? Am I going down the right road by fitting low/mid shafts with high launch heads(for the forgiveness rather than the launch).

Interested in any factual information and thanks.

Al

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Launch is affected by the clubhead loft, clubhead design and shaft properties, so they all interplay. The head can have high or low spin properties, as can the shaft, and you can offset one with the other. The mechanics of how the player applies the clubhead to the ball matters a lot too, obviously.

Flight (meaning trajectory) is determined by launch and spin, so some of each can derive from shaft and head.

There is no reason you couldn't add a high kick point (low launch) and low spin shaft to your Mizzy.

A

Alex1975

Thanks Ethan,

I guess its not a science then, i e you can not take the figures and put them into a calculation that says X shaft and Y head = Z launch/flight/spin?

What is frustrating is that there is not a forgiving head that is not a mid low launch... why is the asumtion that high/mid handicappers have a problem getting the ball in the air?

Al

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is frustrating is that there is not a forgiving head that is not a mid low launch... why is the asumtion that high/mid handicappers have a problem getting the ball in the air?

Al

Going by Ethan's post, could the mid-high launch head in said iron be countered slightly by choosing a different shaft to stop it having such a high launch?

I could be wrong as I have no idea about any of this!

EDIT: Or use a "better" iron. I'm sure the MP57's are supposed to be too good for my "ability", but I have no trouble hitting them. Sure I get fats and thins, but most of my shots were lost and a lot of the reason my handicap didn't come down last year was off the tee and around the green.

As was said the other day, a 20 handicapper could have great ball striking but struggles with the longer clubs or has absolutely no short game so using a GI iron might be a bit of a false economy.

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

Going by Ethan's post, could the mid-high launch head in said iron be countered slightly by choosing a different shaft to stop it having such a high launch?

I could be wrong as I have no idea about any of this!

I would think that high launch heads promote back spin that gets the ball up in the air, it is then my guess and hope that the ball then flattens out and goes forward with a mid/low shaft. Why not make a head with all the weighting that helps with off center hits and cavity but without the offset and launch angle??

This may be one for the Mizzy forums.... Clearly though the manufactures do not think there is a market.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't want to keep harping on about lag, but I hit a high ball, because at impact, I am not hitting down on the ball. Has it occured to you that you are not hitting your clubs properly, and are flipping your hands at the ball, causing you to hit too much on the up?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would think that high launch heads promote back spin that gets the ball up in the air, it is then my guess and hope that the ball then flattens out and goes forward with a mid/low shaft. Why not make a head with all the weighting that helps with off center hits and cavity but without the offset and launch angle??

This may be one for the Mizzy forums.... Clearly though the manufactures do not think there is a market.

Check my edit above. If you don't struggle with your iron play a more "players" head could be the key coupled with the right shaft?

A

Alex1975

Murph and Lump, ye spot on, it is a swing fault and I am working on getting my hands to impact before the club head, I have become a little flicky over the last year. I find it helps to start my back swing by pushing forward on my club but I am aware that Bob has said triggers are not that great.

So ye I am aware that its down to me but I am also aware that even if I work on it, it will not go away over night and alot of the time I am interested in this stuff and like to chat about it.

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit down on my driver quite abit so really have a rising ball flight even with a low spin shaft. But I dont mind it.

Being a 909 user, which isnt the easiest club to tonk, have you not tried a 910?

A

Alex1975

I hit down on my driver quite abit so really have a rising ball flight even with a low spin shaft. But I dont mind it.

Being a 909 user, which isnt the easiest club to tonk, have you not tried a 910?

Oh my Drive is the best pat of my game, on and off it has been for some time, its my irons that are high, partly because of what we talked about above and partly because of the high launch shafts.

I would love a 910D but its hard to spend money on something that is currently the best part of my game so for now I will stick with the 909..... I have a great shaft in it too.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh my Drive is the best pat of my game, on and off it has been for some time, its my irons that are high, partly because of what we talked about above and partly because of the high launch shafts.

I would love a 910D but its hard to spend money on something that is currently the best part of my game so for now I will stick with the 909..... I have a great shaft in it too.

my bad alex. I though it was a driver you where talking about...:mmm: