Shafts for "handsy" players

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

As I played cricket for many years and was a back-foot player my golf swing has always been very "handsy". This has previously been countered by always having stiff shafts.

However, as I have recently become an OAP I am aware that I no longer generate the clubhead speed I once did.

Whilst the stiff shafts continue to successfully address the issue of dispersion I do worry about the distance I may be forsaking.

Obviously I am unlikely to now regain that lost clubhead speed, at least in the long term, so I wondered if there is an answer to be found in shafts or do I just "club up"?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm rather similar, though from Hockey (and to some degree Tennis).

I too err on/require the stiff side.

Low Torque is the thing to look for imo. Active Tip sections, with low torque, can work but tend to go high.

Accra SC Series feel pretty good for me, as does the Matrix Code (now replaced by RUL) one.

I picked up loads of distance (30-40 yards!) by changing from too soft (Miyazaki 43R) or too stiff (Code 6 SX) to pretty close to spot on (Code 8 S), though some of that might be a weeks worth of ground improvement. Very happy with the change, even though it may be just a tad too stiff.

Tried a Ping G20 with Regular Tour (again, low torque) shaft and that felt pretty much perfect too! I was actually 'fitted' for that shaft a while ago - by Ping. The G25 shafts are quite different.

Oh! And I'm 60, so know the 'ageing woes' too!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

Thanks for that, you have given me some food for thought.

It does seem that there are more options for drivers and woods than for irons. Not keen on graphite for irons as all previous experiments with them have resulted in an unacceptably high ball-flight.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Again, I feel i hit irons high, though the current set is a bit peculiar - 5 (and 4) are surprising low flights compared to the 6 which is the last of the CBs. I wonder if it's a Swing Weight 'issue' as I know the 6 is considerably higher, though I can't say that I really notice.

I tried some light steels a while ago (Nippon 905s) but could not control them - never knew where the ball was going! Heavier shafts keep my hands under control and improve dispersion!

I did once promise myself to get a set of Hawkeye Titanium irons for my 'declining' years. Not sure what shafts, but the ones I used had Regular Graphite and the ball just flew off the face - with a pretty good flight!

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
I assume you're also talking about iron shafts? In which case, graphite is an option worth considering. The lighter weight will help you maintain a good swing speed which will help with launch and distance, whilst it can be as stiff as you feel comfortable with. The Ping TFC800i would be a good pairing with your irons and will certainly help your joints as you get older too.

D

Deleted member 18588

I assume you're also talking about iron shafts? In which case, graphite is an option worth considering. The lighter weight will help you maintain a good swing speed which will help with launch and distance, whilst it can be as stiff as you feel comfortable with. The Ping TFC800i would be a good pairing with your irons and will certainly help your joints as you get older too.

Yes thanks I am thinking about the irons as well but as I say I have tried graphite shafted irons on a number of occasions but have always found the flight to be higher than I like.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes thanks I am thinking about the irons as well but as I say I have tried graphite shafted irons on a number of occasions but have always found the flight to be higher than I like.
That's probably because most graphite shafted irons from stock are designed to play this way. Higher launch equals greater distance for slower swing speeds - the lighter weight also goes some way to increase swing speed to enhance ball flight.
However, graphite is available in many bend profiles to give the sort of ball flight you are looking for. If you are "handsy" anyway, a certain trade off may be higher ball flight anyway, but this can be controlled by selecting the proper shaft profile to match your swing. If you tend to release the club a bit early from the top, then a lower bend point might help - but don't expect to hit low bullets at the distance you once did all at the change of a shaft. A compromise needs to be taken to realise your needs. If you want the distance back, then you need to achieve this by swinging faster, launching higher, or simply "clubbing up" - any one of these methods (or a combination of all 3) will give you an increase in distance. That's the basic physics part of it - you must decide which part you want, but at the end of the day it's near impossible to have your cake and eat it so to speak.

D

Deleted member 18588

That's probably because most graphite shafted irons from stock are designed to play this way. Higher launch equals greater distance for slower swing speeds - the lighter weight also goes some way to increase swing speed to enhance ball flight.
However, graphite is available in many bend profiles to give the sort of ball flight you are looking for. If you are "handsy" anyway, a certain trade off may be higher ball flight anyway, but this can be controlled by selecting the proper shaft profile to match your swing. If you tend to release the club a bit early from the top, then a lower bend point might help - but don't expect to hit low bullets at the distance you once did all at the change of a shaft. A compromise needs to be taken to realise your needs. If you want the distance back, then you need to achieve this by swinging faster, launching higher, or simply "clubbing up" - any one of these methods (or a combination of all 3) will give you an increase in distance. That's the basic physics part of it - you must decide which part you want, but at the end of the day it's near impossible to have your cake and eat it so to speak.

Again,like Foxholer, you have been most helpful and provided me with much to think about.