Shafts and ball flight

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was commented at the weekend (and not for the first time) that I get the ball a long way into the air especially with my shorter irons. And I mean they thought it was really high in the air. Given that I was playing with decent players (9 & 10 h/c) who seem to know their stuff - I'm taking it they thought it rather out of the ordinary. (We had time for a brief chat and a KitKat whilst waiting for a 9iron shot to come down).

So how much of this is me and the vagaries of my swing - or is any of it to do with the clubs and/or shafts. Clubs are Titleist AP1s with 5.0 Project X Flighted shafts . Not sure if I interpretted the info right, but I thought PX Flighted were supposed to keep the trajectory lower for the shorter irons - so am supposing its mainly me? Any advice or thoughts?

T

thecraw

You are correct. I guess you either create loads of spin or the shafts are totally the wrong flex. Probably a combination of both. I'd suggest a chat and custom fit with a club fitter.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
High hitting is not a real problem as long as the ball spin/flight is fine. The give away with high spinning high irons is inconsistent distance and particulaly struggling in the wind.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a few questions...
Do you take divots?
Do your shots go straight?
How far do you hit a 7 iron on a flat day?

Bob,

Don't take divots
On a good day they go straight - if not, they are either a pull or a hook
145-155

As aside, they were custom fitted at the Titleist centre - I forget the name but the one near Huntingdon

A

Alex1975

Do you feel like you flick at your short irons? I used to have this problem, I changed from a high launch shaft (dynalite gold xp s300) and moved to the PX 5.5 low launch and it did not help as it was all me flicking my hands and maybe not moving weight correctly. I would chat to a pro or post a video before embarking on changing shafts, its not a cheep option.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
That club head and shaft combo is known to produce huuuuge numbers on track man.
Titleist clubs do create a lot of spin for some reason.

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Having just been to the pro for a lesson and seeing a vid of my swing, I'd guess you are flipping your hands at impact. I was doing the same thing and hitting VERY high shots, good distance mind you, but lots of pulls and pull hooks.

Get a face on vid and see if at impact your hands are infront of the ball or not. I'd bet they aren't.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not especially looking to change clubs (at least not yet) - just more wondering as to how much the club & shaft combination actually affects the flight or how much is the actual swing. Answers so far seem to suggest its more the swing in my case

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I have the AP1s as well though it's R300 DG shafts in mine. I notice mine go very high at times. But it's me adding loft to the club at impact from not getting my hands ahead of the ball.

A tip my pro gave me was to feel that I was pulling the face downwards towards the ball on the downswing. Trying to hit the ball along the ground.

I also at times can do it if I make an overswing as I seem to cast the club as my first movement on the downswing which can lead to scooping the ball.

So now it's shorter backswing and try to do what my pro says in the drill.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you have a fault in your swing, buying new clubs/shafts isn't going to help.
If you dont take divots with your short irons, you will hit them very high and lose distance.
Where is your ball positioned in relation to your feet, forward, centre or towards the back foot?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have a fault in your swing, buying new clubs/shafts isn't going to help.
If you dont take divots with your short irons, you will hit them very high and lose distance.
Where is your ball positioned in relation to your feet, forward, centre or towards the back foot?

Ball is about in centre of stance.

Would say that I'm not especially looking to change clubs - it's more curiosity as to the amount the shaft contributes to the flight