Shaft weight

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Particularly in a driver.
While drifting around various Manufacturers sites I've noticed that sometimes you can get the same shaft but 10g heavier as an option in your driver. The lighter the shaft, the higher the swingspeed = more distance but potentially at a loss of control. Obviously some manufacturers shafts are going to be heavier than others and I just wondered if an average player can actually feel a 10g difference between shafts. Would it make the same basic shaft play differently, say a Voodoo SVS6 vs a SVS7??

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you would notice it, especially in a shaft where the lighter version is enough shaft for you, and the heavier just a bit too much. It could work the other way for someone for whom the lighter shaft was far too light.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I tried to different shaft weights in a Matrix Ozik, while being c/f at Titleist. Whilst I struggled to tell them apart, the fitters said I definately looked more comfortable with the heavier version, and this was backed up by the stats from the computer.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know the exact figures, but a 10g heavier shaft will feel much heavier than 10g at however many g's a driver has exerted on it during the swing.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did something on these lines back when I was shooting. It tutned into a force, mass, time, distance, frequency (and a whole lot more) equation. Based on a 10 pound shotgun you could be shifting into the tons over the course of a shoot - and some of the old time competitions ran over two or three days with heavier weapons.

so if you were wondering why you tire when hitting a lot of range balls - wonder no more