Shaft Questions

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This week I took a gamble on buying a shaft I thought I might like for my driver, and I love it.
It's a Matrix White Tie, 50X4.

If I want the same feeling shaft in my 3 wood, do I look for the next weight up i.e. 60X4 or stick to the same version?

Also, do all wood shafts start out life the same and get cut down, or are fairway shafts made shorter from the off?

Thanks.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's certainly the 'traditional' approach.

However, your particular quirks/needs might affect the selection. For example, if you naturally hit your 3 wood high, then the 60gm Red Tie (which, to me, feels a little softer) might work better.

As far as I know, all Wood shafts start at 46" and get cut down. Some simply make better 3-wood shafts than Driver ones.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks. I don't think I hit my woods particularly high. The flight I've had this weekend from the white tie in my driver has been really nice.

Diamana blue (60) feels a little heavy to me, so I tried the red and didn't get much feel from it. The white tie is around the same weight but so much more feeling - for my swing at least.

If I see a red tie cheap I might try it, but shafts seem so hit and miss that when you find one you like you may as well stick to it I think.

I'd forgotten about tip trimming too. I thought if all wood shafts start life the same length I could find a driver shaft and shorten it, but a website I found says it would need tip trimming 1" to make it a 3 wood shaft so a pain if there's an adaptor already on it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it depends on the company. the likes of diamana use the same shaft throughout and supply a trimming chart. martix have dedicated fairway shafts. you will have to ask a fitter because you might buy a driver shaft with a tapered tip that cant be trimmed that much when a parallel tip (that diamana use) can be trimmed a lot.

as for the same shaft in your fairways. it would depend on what you want out of your 3 wood. for eg, i want my driver to launch high as i struggle to launch it. however i hit my 3 wood too high so i need a low launch

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Edit to above...

Checked my 'stock' and I have a (White!) Red Tie that mentions 'FW Stiff', so maybe there are dedicated FW ones. Unfortunately, it seems a bit short, otherwise I'd be happy for Region to try it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks again.

I've set up a couple of eBay searches to follow so I'll just bide my time until the right one comes along at a cheap enough price.

Strangely, from what I've seen so far the red tie appears to go cheaper than the white tie. I'll try a red if I see one cheap but looking at the Matrix website it appears lower launching and higher spinning. I'm not that bothered about launch angle (other than I don't want a black tie) but I'd like to keep the spin as low as possible.

Off to ask another question ........ :whistle:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if its any help Gary I have a black tie in the Driver but the red tie variant in a 17 degree in the Hybrid, has a decent flight, launches well without being too spinny and works well

for me as I go through from driver through 3 wood to hybrid I like the shafts to get heavier albeit could never get on with a 50g driver shaft so not sure how strongly it applies

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks again.

I've set up a couple of eBay searches to follow so I'll just bide my time until the right one comes along at a cheap enough price.

Strangely, from what I've seen so far the red tie appears to go cheaper than the white tie. I'll try a red if I see one cheap but looking at the Matrix website it appears lower launching and higher spinning. I'm not that bothered about launch angle (other than I don't want a black tie) but I'd like to keep the spin as low as possible.

Off to ask another question ........ :whistle:

the difference between the white, red and black is minimal when it comes to launch and spin. even Justin rose said there's nothing in it on those particular shafts. i have the black tie and have hit it against a white. with my driver i was averaging something like 0.75 degree lower

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if its any help Gary I have a black tie in the Driver but the red tie variant in a 17 degree in the Hybrid, has a decent flight, launches well without being too spinny and works well

for me as I go through from driver through 3 wood to hybrid I like the shafts to get heavier albeit could never get on with a 50g driver shaft so not sure how strongly it applies

the difference between the white, red and black is minimal when it comes to launch and spin. even Justin rose said there's nothing in it on those particular shafts. i have the black tie and have hit it against a white. with my driver i was averaging something like 0.75 degree lower

Thanks, might have to add the black tie to the list of searches although knowing that some of the bigger hitters on here use it put me off a little.