Shaft Query - R300 vs S300

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
For as long as I've played I've always played R300 shafts.

When I had a fitting for my current irons, R300 came out the winner.

I was fitted for my irons at the start of 2013 before I'd ever had a lesson.

Since taking lessons my swing is not even close to where it was when I was fitted.

After a multitude of change the flight of my ball has gone from a weak pull fade to a lovely draw. As a side result I'm able to move the club alot faster as the increased distance I have will attest.

The down side being since my last set of changes is the ball flight is far too high. My pro is happy that I'm doing as he asks and, to be fair to him, has suggested I change to a stiff shaft for a while.

I like the weight and feel of the R300 shafts so was just considering a change to S300.

I think weight wise there's only 3g of difference so they should feel the same weight wise through the swing (?).

Curious as to anyone's thoughts on making b this switch?

Thanks in advance :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For as long as I've played I've always played R300 shafts.

When I had a fitting for my current irons, R300 came out the winner.

I was fitted for my irons at the start of 2013 before I'd ever had a lesson.

Since taking lessons my swing is not even close to where it was when I was fitted.

After a multitude of change the flight of my ball has gone from a weak pull fade to a lovely draw. As a side result I'm able to move the club alot faster as the increased distance I have will attest.

The down side being since my last set of changes is the ball flight is far too high. My pro is happy that I'm doing as he asks and, to be fair to him, has suggested I change to a stiff shaft for a while.

I like the weight and feel of the R300 shafts so was just considering a change to S300.

I think weight wise there's only 3g of difference so they should feel the same weight wise through the swing (?).

Curious as to anyone's thoughts on making b this switch?

Thanks in advance :thup:

Gaz, just borrow an S300 and have a try, there's not much difference, maybe a slightly heavier with a lower- ish flight maybe.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gaz, just borrow an S300 and have a try, there's not much difference, maybe a slightly heavier with a lower- ish flight maybe.

When I added the 4 iron to my old MP32's, the only ones really avaliable had S300.

I hit that fine :mmm: where the rest of the set were R300.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Give them a go. As you say the main difference is a few grams weight. If your swing has changed since you were first playing R300, you might benefit further from the small weight difference which might slow your tempo down a shade and add some more control.

You can also ask a decent pro to step either set to give a flex somewhere between R and S.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Give them a go. As you say the main difference is a few grams weight. If your swing has changed since you were first playing R300, you might benefit further from the small weight difference which might slow your tempo down a shade and add some more control.

You can also ask a decent pro to step either set to give a flex somewhere between R and S.

After speaking with my pro earlier he advised me to forget about the 3g weight difference as it'll, probably, be too little to notice.

He said the main difference I would notice would be the feeling of the shaft being a little firmer/harsher than what I'm used to in the R300.

Common sense really.

The other issue is cost. It'll probably be cheaper to by a set of irons than reshaft my current set.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
After speaking with my pro earlier he advised me to forget about the 3g weight difference as it'll, probably, be too little to notice.

He said the main difference I would notice would be the feeling of the shaft being a little firmer/harsher than what I'm used to in the R300.

Common sense really.

The other issue is cost. It'll probably be cheaper to by a set of irons than reshaft my current set.
I imagine, you could buy a set of Mizuno Mp63 with s300 quite easily, prob the commonest shaft in Mizuno's Ive seen.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gaz if you have no luck I'd happly lend you my JPX 825 pro for a few weeks it that would help, just pay the post if you like.

But i imagine you won't be interested in Gi irons;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gaz if you have no luck I'd happly lend you my JPX 825 pro for a few weeks it that would help, just pay the post if you like.

But i imagine you won't be interested in Gi irons;)

With what I'm looking at right this second elsewhere on the Internet, I think you would be very surprised Patrick.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

Thank you for the kind offer of the loan. Very much appreciated :thup:

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have dynamic gold xp s300. I'd get them pulled an straight swap if you fancy it?

I've been looking to have a go at the r300 or get fitted for the srixons.

Grips are prob 5/6-10

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have dynamic gold xp s300. I'd get them pulled an straight swap if you fancy it?

I've been looking to have a go at the r300 or get fitted for the srixons.

Grips are prob 5/6-10

Thanks for the offer pal.

If what I'm looking at doesn't come off, it may be an option.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Common sense really.

Well, your pro may not know that TT DG shafts are weight sorted. They make the shafts, weigh them when they come off and label them R300, S200, S300 etc accordingly. The only difference between the two is the weight, and with the retail tolerances,. some R300 and S300 will be almost identical. The shafts are not frequency tested for flex. The flex feeling is really a weight feeling.

XP is a different type of shaft with a softer tip to flight the ball higher. They may not be what you are looking for.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well, your pro may not know that TT DG shafts are weight sorted. They make the shafts, weigh them when they come off and label them R300, S200, S300 etc accordingly. The only difference between the two is the weight, and with the retail tolerances,. some R300 and S300 will be almost identical. The shafts are not frequency tested for flex. The flex feeling is really a weight feeling.

XP is a different type of shaft with a softer tip to flight the ball higher. They may not be what you are looking for.

He probably is aware Ethan. It's probably more the case that I won't feel the weight difference when holding the club but will feel it when swung, hence the firner/harsher feel.

What is your reason for changing the shafts OP?

Better flight?
More control?
Because they're shiny?

As in the OP Baz. The main consideration is how high the ball is going.

Now that I'm staying behind the ball better I'm launching the ball much easier. As a result the R300 fly to high.

Improved dispersion would be a bonus. Even if it costs c s small amount of distance.

Certainly not doing this on a whim for new shineys pal.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He probably is aware Ethan. It's probably more the case that I won't feel the weight difference when holding the club but will feel it when swung, hence the firner/harsher feel.

Well, weight usually has more of an effect on ability to get the clubbed back to the ball. Feel is more to do with where the shaft's stiffest areas are. TTDG tends to be tip stiff and butt soft, so feel smooth because feel is often related to butt feel, whereas a Project X of the same frequency (flex) will often feel harsher because it is butt stiff.

Anyway, the best way to sort it out os to try one.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well, weight usually has more of an effect on ability to get the clubbed back to the ball. Feel is more to do with where the shaft's stiffest areas are. TTDG tends to be tip stiff and butt soft, so feel smooth because feel is often related to butt feel, whereas a Project X of the same frequency (flex) will often feel harsher because it is butt stiff.

Anyway, the best way to sort it out os to try one.

Totally agree.

As I said earlier I have experience with S300 in a mizuno MP32 4 iron and had no issues.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Sorry, but that is miles off. Whilst they weight sort Dynamic Golds, the profile of the shafts will be different. In the blanks or in any discrete iron shaft, the tip section in the regular will be 2" longer than the tip section in the stiff and the butt section will be 2" shorter in the regular than the butt section in the stiff. To suggest that the flex is determined by the weight is wrong; the flex is determined by the step pattern, the weight only determines the sub-flex