Shaft advice

FifeGolfer90

Visit site
Hi guys and girls,
I’ve recently taken golf back up after about a 10 year break. I played in my late teens but since playing again I have convinced myself that my shafts are too flexible for my swing now that I’m bigger and stronger. I am currently using my old clubs (original Nike slingshot irons and a Cobra Speed LD F Driver, 10.5 - both have standard regular shafts) but plan on upgrading when golf shops reopen in Scotland.
My “bad” shot is a hook and my good contact shots are a high draw (even when I’m trying to play a slight fade) - I was down the practice range the other night and took a few videos.
whilst analysing these videos I took a few freeze frames and I am wondering if anybody on here could offer some insight?
1592386939323.jpeg
This photo was on my downswing but I noticed the shaft has already kicked and the club head is ahead of my hands. Is this indeed proof that my shaft is too “whippy” ?

thanks in advance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
whilst analysing these videos I took a few freeze frames and I am wondering if anybody on here could offer some insight?
This photo was on my downswing but I noticed the shaft has already kicked and the club head is ahead of my hands. Is this indeed proof that my shaft is too “whippy” ?

thanks in advance.
No! It's an 'illusion' caused by the way (rolling shutter) your video recording works! Here's an explanation....

Last edited:

FifeGolfer90

Visit site
Ah I see!... thanks!
so I guess the jury’s still out on whether or not the shafts are too whippy & the evidence is inconclusive ??‍♂️?
I’m worried I do get stiffer shafts and then suddenly have issues getting ball up and an uncontrollable slice so just trying to gather as much info as possible first ??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
'Go get fitted' would be my suggestion - or try a stiff shafted iron to see what difference it makes.
Many Pros will measure and fit quite satisfactorily, or even simply confirm whether 'Regular' still applies (maybe even for little or no cost). For top notch fitting near(ish) you, Scott Gourlay Golf Technology in Edinburgh.

FifeGolfer90

Visit site
You just have to try some out to see what works for YOU.
'Go get fitted' would be my suggestion - or try a stiff shafted iron to see what difference it makes.
Many Pros will measure and fit quite satisfactorily, or even simply confirm whether 'Regular' still applies (maybe even for little or no cost). For top notch fitting near(ish) you, Scott Gourlay Golf Technology in Edinburgh.

Thanks ??

FifeGolfer90

Visit site
And there's absolutely no standard of what "regular", "stiff" etc are.
Then there's the weight, torque, kick points, some, all or none of which may or may not make a difference to YOU...

Maybe ?‍♂️
Really is a minefield when you get into it! ? - thanks though, I guess there’s no substitute to trying different clubs and shafts to see what best suits my swing.

Thanks all!

FifeGolfer90

Visit site
Sounds like as good an excuse as any I’d say! ??
A yeah that’s a good way to look at the £60 plus if you’re spending all that money anyway you’ll wanna make sure it’s in the right equipment.
I’m hoping to buy new irons as soon as shops reopen and like you said if I was buying them in the same place I’d hope to get the fitting free or at least at a reduced price ??