Sexist remark or over reaction?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately I am not in the lucky position to be able to treat my wife when I have a windfall as my Mrs actually earns more than me. I probably should have studied harder at school. Who'd have thought it eh, what with her being a woman and all that. So she does not need to pester me so she can buy something she really needs, as she just does it. As that's also what some women do nowadays apparently.:eek:

Does she take in washing/ironing?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
PAs use of 'kitchen' was metaphorical used to indicate that ZJs winnings could be used by his wife to buy something nice or that she needed. Sorted.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Unbelievable! - Its called having a sense of humour! Why is everybody so up themselves these days? PA is definitely Old School but thats half his charm - he's still a breath of fresh air and the number of times you hear him get the rest of the commentary team in hysterics makes him worth listening to. Anyone who could get offended by his remark need to get a life!

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Absolutely disgusting. BBC should have grown a pair and refused to apologise or pander to the bra burning brigade.
Utterly ridiculous.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Does she take in washing/ironing?

Kind of depends really, we normally both bring the washing in. As for the ironing unfortunately the wife can't do much at the moment so I'm doing it for all the family. But normally I do mine, she does hers and we both do my daughters if that needs doing.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
I didn't take offence to the comment but I can see why some people would. The guy is a dinosaur and at 84 has no real place in commentating anymore. His attitude & opinions are stuck in an era so far away from where the game is now. Interesting that he wasn't in the final piece with Hazel Irvine at the end as he probably would have made yet more inappropriate comments. Great broadcasters know when it's time to call it a day, Bill McLaren being a prime example.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
PAs use of 'kitchen' was metaphorical used to indicate that ZJs winnings could be used by his wife to buy something nice or that she needed. Sorted.

That's how I understood it.

Allis could have said car, bathroom, space ship or anything... He's got form with his opinion regarding men only clubs, so it was unfortunate that said kitchen as it was fuel for the PC brigade to jump all over it.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the present world is upset by Alliss then they'd be utterly outraged with my other half's grandad.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just ran this one past my better half, who had also seen/heard it in real time. Her response, "anyone who took that comment seriously is pathetic and needs to stop being so precious. Some people need to gain some perspective of the world."

No doubt there are women out there who would consider my better half is selling her gender short.... maybe if they knew the level she has reached in mgt they might think a little differently.

But I'll settle for her opinion, "pathetic."

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just ran this one past my better half, who had also seen/heard it in real time. Her response, "anyone who took that comment seriously is pathetic and needs to stop being so precious. Some people need to gain some perspective of the world."

No doubt there are women out there who would consider my better half is selling her gender short.... maybe if they knew the level she has reached in mgt they might think a little differently.

But I'll settle for her opinion, "pathetic."

Me too, last night. She didn't see an issue, but did excuse it as 'he's an old duffer'

Is it different if a younger man says it? Is being old a defence? I don't know.

Whilst it's something I would never say, I also think it's wrong the BBC apologising on behalf of PA. If he regrets it, apologise, if not, don't.

Along with taking offence, people are always apologising. :eek:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kind of depends really, we normally both bring the washing in. As for the ironing unfortunately the wife can't do much at the moment so I'm doing it for all the family. But normally I do mine, she does hers and we both do my daughters if that needs doing.

It was a silly joke (bit like P.A) based on the fact she earned more than you, was a woman and the theme of this thread. Regret saying it now. Sorry!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If i just won a million quid, mrs rooter would want a new kitchen, a new hair do, nails done and maybe a spray tan. Am i sexist?