Sexist remark or over reaction?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes it is sexist and no it's not surprising that many middle aged men struggle to see that. Thankfully as women gain equality, such comments are becoming rarer.

More importantly though I don't believe any malevolence was intended, as has been mentioned already it's a reflection of the world Alliss grew up in.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think its just shows what a sad world we live in.

Alliss did nothing wrong in my eyes, he made a light hearted comment and a good time which my wife laughed at and didnt seem to find secist at all. To be fair I think my wife was probably thinking I could do with a new kitchen as well.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think its just shows what a sad world we live in.

Alliss did nothing wrong in my eyes, he made a light hearted comment and a good time which my wife laughed at and didnt seem to find secist at all. To be fair I think my wife was probably thinking I could do with a new kitchen as well.

Mine too, and my wife LOVES that she does not work, she LOVES that she can be a mother and wife and does consider the kitchen as hers.

Edit, apart from a draw of golf balls, a draw of crap and the corner of the dinning room my clubs are in I think she considers the whole house hers....

D

Deleted Member 1156

Maybe all forms of humour should be banned as it's very difficult to have any kind of laugh without offending somebody somewhere?

What a fun world that would be...............

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes it is sexist and no it's not surprising that many middle aged men struggle to see that. Thankfully as women gain equality, such comments are becoming rarer.

More importantly though I don't believe any malevolence was intended, as has been mentioned already it's a reflection of the world Alliss grew up in.

wow - and your comment isn't clearly stereo typical?

you also seem to fall into those that can't see that the concept of Mrs Johnson, wife and CEO of Johnson enterprises multi million pound corporation going out and buying a new kitchen with the bonus £1.15m is soooooooooooooooo far from a practical reality that it can safely be considered for a joke.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Amazing how his choice of purchase skews it. If he says "new car" instead of "new kitchen" then this thread wouldn't be here.

That one word does make it a little sexist though, it pretty obviously implies where he thinks a woman's place is. So I think it's probably appropriate that he is made aware, not sure anyone really needed apologies though or formal statements.

C

c1973

Ridiculous. How could anyone possibly be offended by that. Some folks need to get a grip, they really do.

Did the BBC apologies for showing and promoting the sexist sports tournament at Wimbledon the other week there? No? No handwringing apologists from the beeb commenting on that? :)

Anyway, when he said it most women would (or should) have been in the kitchen doing the washing up from the evening meal (that they had cooked in said kitchen), so it should only have been blokes that heard his comments. ;)

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are people really finding this remark sexist or just looking for an excuse to have a moan?

If he'd said something along the lines of her place being in the kitchen and not at the golf course then I could understand people getting upset about it.

Some me people need to get out more.

S

Snelly

It is not an offensive remark. Anyone offended by it is is the problem.

The thing about being offended is that it is something we choose. We take offence. That doesn't mean it is offensive. If the female manager of a serial adulterer chooses to take offence that that is her hard lines. It doesn't mean that it is reasonable to make this conclusion though.

And of course, it isn't reasonable at all. It is an exercise in mock outrage, the type of which we all see far too often and readily in this day and age.

It was a harmless quip by someone of an older generation and should be seen in this context by anyone with half an ounce of common sense.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Surprising enough being a yoghurt knitter I agree with that. Reminds me a bit of the FA tweet they sent out about the womens world cup squad coming back to being mothers, daughters etc etc or whatever it said. Probably best described as casual misogyny and you could do without it on a major broadcaster in prime time, and how offended you are by that will more than likely depend on how much you have suffered personally from people with those kind of attitudes or how much you can empathise with those that have. I thought it was more sad than really offensive, but I can totally understand why people would get upset by it.

I heard it when he said it and thought 'you could have picked something better to say' in the way you do when old people sometimes speak. But I'm sure he wasn't trying to offend, in the same way old people calling black people coloured are not consciously trying to offend. Just out of step with what is now accepted in modern society and unfortunately it kind of plays into the stereotype of golf being a bit out of date.

And as I do all the cooking in my house I'm quite offended that he assumed women want new kitchens, in my house I'd be the one over the moon if we got one.;)

Last edited: