Sex sells.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've seen the jazzy golfer and Mia Baker on social media recently. Both keen golfers but bang average ability wise yet both have been signed up as ambassadors and given various contracts. Just so happens that both are very attractive with fit bodies. Thought in this day and age it was wrong to sexualise women. Unless of course it suits them. Total hypocrisy.

It comes down to exposure, both you have mentioned have decent online followings and, unlike tour pros necessarily do, actually have the time to put the effort into promoting the products. Seems a no brainer to me?

Also probably a lot cheaper than sponsoring a Nelly Korda or Charley Hull.

D

Deleted member 23270

I don't think I did, because that isn't relevant. The relevant part is Jazzy Golfer has 55k followers on Instagram. Mia Baker has 74k.
So you don't think the fact that Dougherty has won multiple events and knows golf and was at the end of his playing career had anything to do with him getting the Sky gig?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you don't think the fact that Dougherty has won multiple events and knows golf and was at the end of his playing career had anything to do with him getting the Sky gig?
Plenty of other former golfers meet those requirements as well!

D

Deleted member 15344

I've never thought of Jazzy Golfer as being on the same level as Paige Spiranac and the like. I just thought she was a keen amateur who'd built up a decent following on Instagram - obviously she is easy on the eye but you could argue that for a vast number of celebrities in all walks of life and for both sexes really. Would Nick Dougherty be heading up Sky's coverage if he wasn't such a handsome chap? Probably not.

Nick Dougherty was given a chance because of what he accomplished in the sport - he was a multiple tour event winning - just like other pundits and presenters.

It’s massively different from an Amatuer beginner

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nick Dougherty was given a chance because of what he accomplished in the sport - he was a multiple tour event winning - just like other pundits and presenters.

It’s massively different from an Amatuer beginner
Ok, he was just a name I threw out but the point was all brands will prefer to go for healthy, good-looking people who have a large following to represent them. It's not rocket surgery.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
But you're comparing apples and oranges.

Nick Dougherty is the face of Sky Sports Golf and is therefore required to have some degree of experience, success and knowledge of the game.

Mia Baker and Jazzy Golfer are two amateurs who happen to have a large online presence with a lot of "interactions" with their followers, which is crucial for brands looking for ambassadors. Success and experience isn't required at all.

Now, how they got their followers in the first place might give your argument some credibility but the difference is that they built up their followers first, and the brands came second.

If someone less attractive had the same number of followers and a high degree of interactions then yes, they'd be just as likely to get the same level of sponsorships.

Look at bad golf and tubes and ange golf life for examples.

D

Deleted member 23270

But you're comparing apples and oranges.

Nick Dougherty is the face of Sky Sports Golf and is therefore required to have some degree of experience, success and knowledge of the game.

Mia Baker and Jazzy Golfer are two amateurs who happen to have a large online presence with a lot of "interactions" with their followers, which is crucial for brands looking for ambassadors. Success and experience isn't required at all.

Now, how they got their followers in the first place might give your argument some credibility but the difference is that they built up their followers first, and the brands came second.

If someone less attractive had the same number of followers and a high degree of interactions then yes, they'd be just as likely to get the same level of sponsorships.

Look at bad golf and tubes and ange golf life for examples.
My point is more to do with how they gained their followers rather than the endorsements which naturally followed.
I don't think a fat, bald, middle aged 18capper would amass the same number of followers.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My point is more to do with how they gained their followers rather than the endorsements which naturally followed.
I don't think a fat, bald, middle aged 18capper would amass the same number of followers.

very true, they wouldn’t. That kind of golfer is in absolutely every golf club in multiple amounts - and probably lack the personality to gain followers or be slightly different in their approach.

the whole thing smacks of jealousy to me.

do I follow either of them? Nope. Their content isn’t relevant to me….but it does appear their content is relevant to a lot of people.

plenty of space in the world for all types

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I follow both and chuckle when they rave about the latest stuff that they’ve just been given for free.

Give me Paige whatshername any day of the week

D

Deleted member 27823

I think there's a real lack of understanding about the role of "influencers" in today's society. There are 1000s of people out there with instagram, twitter, youtube accounts promoting various activities, products and, frankly, some seriously random rubbish. And getting sponsorships and free stuff from various companies. On the golf front there are loads of accounts - some from pro golfers, reasonably accomplished golfers, utterly rubbish golfers. Some of it good fun and watchable, much of it not - each to their own.

The Jazzy Golfer's content isn't sexualised in any way. I'd hazard a guess her following is predominantly female, in fact. So it's unclear why someone would rant about her and not the Average Golfer, UK Golf Guy, Golf Mates, EAL, NLU or any of those types of enthusiastic amateur golfer accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.