Sex sells.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My point is more to do with how they gained their followers rather than the endorsements which naturally followed.
I don't think a fat, bald, middle aged 18capper would amass the same number of followers.

I genuinely think you are doing a disservice to both on the content they put out. I think both have just shown a real appetite to get others into golf, accept that they are learning the game and have a positive attitude with it. Appreciate not everyone will want to watch high handicappers but clearly some do.

I'd also suggest that rather than looks Jazzy has just seen a gap in the market around encouraging a growth in women in sport that a lot of people want to target.

Whilst not beginners we've clearly seen a lot of people gain significant online golf followings despite not being the best players, coaches etc due to the content and regularity that they put out. The No Laying up crew are not all scratch or pro golfers and they seem to have done pretty well for themselves. Tubes is hacking it around but has a good following although appreciate he has fame from SoccerAm, the Average golfer has 60k subscribers which sounds comparable to Jazzy and Mia, Golf Mates which i really can't cope with but appreciate many like has 165k.

I'd suggest your take is just very poor on this one.

D

Deleted member 15344

Overall it’s a very good debate with some interesting points on both sides

There are a lot of social media “influencers” out there that are just horrific to some and role models to others

There will be prob two reasons why someone would follow someone

The content or who they are

I don’t really follow the am’s on social media - some of the stuff doesn’t appeal , the reviewers ill follow especially around time of new releases etc

The sport overall is attracting younger people both male and female and that’s great to see and gives a bright outlook for the sport

D

Deleted member 23270

very true, they wouldn’t. That kind of golfer is in absolutely every golf club in multiple amounts - and probably lack the personality to gain followers or be slightly different in their approach.

the whole thing smacks of jealousy to me.

do I follow either of them? Nope. Their content isn’t relevant to me….but it does appear their content is relevant to a lot of people.

plenty of space in the world for all types
Jealousy on whos part?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sums it up pretty well really. Not many are interested in watching an average bloke try to lower his handical but an attractive girl in tight leggings.......well that seems to be a different matter.

Except you're continuing to ignore that quite a lot of people are willing to watch an average bloke knock it about (and have given examples) if they get the content and filming right as golf is very addictive.

I'm also bit concerned about how a pair of leggings seems such a big thing for you when they're just normal sporting clothing for many women.

D

Deleted member 15344

Except you're continuing to ignore that quite a lot of people are willing to watch an average bloke knock it about (and have given examples) if they get the content and filming right as golf is very addictive.

I'm also bit concerned about how a pair of leggings seems such a big thing for you when they're just normal sporting clothing for many women.

There are a couple of reasons why someone would watch amateur golfers

They are at times more relevant to us
People are waiting for the car crash
They are at times funny

But can you see people watching them because of how they look ?

imo some watch or subscribe to some of the female amateurs because of how they look in certain golf clothing

It might not be a deliberate ploy and it’s not just female golfers - there will be thousands of people on social media that some only follow because of how they look

D

Deleted member 29109

Sums it up pretty well really. Not many are interested in watching an average bloke try to lower his handicap but an attractive girl in tight leggings.......well that seems to be a different matter.

So why do Golfmates have more YT subs than the two ladies you mentioned?

D

Deleted member 23270

Most of the 'average blokes' that I've seen do things like course and equipment reviews which can be both interesting and relevant.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jealousy on whos part?

well, they certainly aren’t jealous of you - or at least they haven’t indicated anything publically.

any time a subject like this pops up, can’t help but feel it is jealousy. Would any of us want to be getting paid to play golf, promote golf etc. 100%.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most of the 'average blokes' that I've seen do things like course and equipment reviews which can be both interesting and relevant.

Jazzy golfers last 4 videos are course reviews ?

Quite clearly image is important, the body coach doesn’t have a physical need to work out without a shirt as an example, but I just think minimising someone’s work to build a platform into one characteristic is poor given the level of effort that goes into it all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When the Jazzy Golfer started on youtube she was new to golf and she was simply charting her progression. She used the jazzy leggings as a USP (unique selling point) to make her stand out slightly from the crowd. As a side project she wanted to encourage more women to take up the game and it was that side of things that took off and she ended up doing a lot with the like of this girl golfs project and with the EGU. She then got more and more attention for the work she was doing and then started working with the LET and it snowballed from there.

I think it has nothing to do with her looks or even her "jazzy" clothes. I think she has simply worked hard (and taken a risk leaving her employment to do this full time as far as I understand it) and so she needs to make money and if she gets other contracts out of it I have no issue with that

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
When the Jazzy Golfer started on youtube she was new to golf and she was simply charting her progression. She used the jazzy leggings as a USP (unique selling point) to make her stand out slightly from the crowd. As a side project she wanted to encourage more women to take up the game and it was that side of things that took off and she ended up doing a lot with the like of this girl golfs project and with the EGU. She then got more and more attention for the work she was doing and then started working with the LET and it snowballed from there.

I think it has nothing to do with her looks or even her "jazzy" clothes. I think she has simply worked hard (and taken a risk leaving her employment to do this full time as far as I understand it) and so she needs to make money and if she gets other contracts out of it I have no issue with that

She was in corporate finance when she started out and then when her social media following took off she signed up with a golf PR management company who also represent Rick shiels so very little of her work is her own doing.
If you dare to mention it on her platforms she’ll block you!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
She was in corporate finance when she started out and then when her social media following took off she signed up with a golf PR management company who also represent Rick shiels so very little of her work is her own doing.
If you dare to mention it on her platforms she’ll block you!

I was under the impression it was Shiels that pushed the PR company towards her. Maybe he/the company recognised that she had a commodity and a brand that was easy to promote. That shouldn't take away from the work she did in the early days about getting women into golf which she was doing as well as her corporate finance role. It was a part time project for several years before it started to take off

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I was under the impression it was Shiels that pushed the PR company towards her. Maybe he/the company recognised that she had a commodity and a brand that was easy to promote. That shouldn't take away from the work she did in the early days about getting women into golf which she was doing as well as her corporate finance role. It was a part time project for several years before it started to take off

Not sure she was really getting women into golf in the early days. It was more about her wearing gym bottoms while playing golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure she was really getting women into golf in the early days. It was more about her wearing gym bottoms while playing golf

I think to a degree you are doing her a disservice. She clearly wanted to stand out and the jazzy leggings seemed to do the job she wanted them to. As I said initially it was about her learning to play, but she definitely started to want to get more women into golf relatively early. Either way, you can't argue that she has clearly achieved what she wanted and is now doing quite nicely for herself

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think people should be free to express themselves and their sexuality however they choose without criticism or condemnation from others. HOWEVER.

The obsession with body image and the sexualisation present in influencer behaviour is a concern to me. It is naive to say it doesn't exist and isn't exploited. My daughter is showing signs of tween behaviour and there are girls in her class who already obsess over diet and image. They are 9 and it is ridiculous. It's mostly coming from the parents, via Instagram and YouTube, where some of the girls already have unfettered access to social media channels and these hyper influencers and algorithm slaves, "HI GUYS! perfectly teethed horse faced skinny freak with drawn-on eyebrows here! Just chilling here! Like to subscribe! Click the bell and buy me coffee!"

The worship of celebrity influencer culture amongst the young is out of control and I find it all quite disgusting really.

To paraphrase Bill Hicks. "Anyone working in marketing here? Kill yourself."

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think people should be free to express themselves and their sexuality however they choose without criticism or condemnation from others. HOWEVER.

The obsession with body image and the sexualisation present in influencer behaviour is a concern to me. It is naive to say it doesn't exist and isn't exploited. My daughter is showing signs of tween behaviour and there are girls in her class who already obsess over diet and image. They are 9 and it is ridiculous. It's mostly coming from the parents, via Instagram and YouTube, where some of the girls already have unfettered access to social media channels and these hyper influencers and algorithm slaves, "HI GUYS! perfectly teethed horse faced skinny freak with drawn-on eyebrows here! Just chilling here! Like to subscribe! Click the bell and buy me coffee!"

The worship of celebrity influencer culture amongst the young is out of control and I find it all quite disgusting really.

Don't forget the blown up lips as well!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

As someone with a 2 year old daughter I do wonder what things will be like when she gets to a similar age.

Having a wife who is a primary school teacher, and the stories she comes home with don’t make me feel any easier about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.