Set up for a draw

vinny613

Club Champion
Visit site
dont ask me how but from my 6 iron up i can hit a draw naturally, it just happens,

however when i try to replicate that same set up for driver and 3 wood off tee, it goes straight or worse a fade come slice.

with out getting too technical any advice on how to set up consistently on tee box to promote a draw.

course i play has most of the trouble down the right hand side from tee box, therfore a draw is the shot to have.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And how much-ish also depends on your angle of attack - whether/how much you hit up/down.

And swinging to the right (in to out) is rather more important than simply aligning to the right (then swing out to in) btw!

Best to find out what/how much works on the range (driving one in your case! :D) first though.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And how much-ish also depends on your angle of attack - whether/how much you hit up/down.

And swinging to the right (in to out) is rather more important than simply aligning to the right (then swing out to in) btw!

Best to find out what/how much works on the range (driving one in your case! :D) first though.

Read the Question :rolleyes:

He asked how to set up on the tee box to promote a draw. He also asked for the answer not to be too technical.

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
I can only hit draws set up square with an open clubface!! If i setup closed my mind takes over and thinks I am going to hit it left and my hands stay open and its right.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Read the Question :rolleyes:

He asked how to set up on the tee box to promote a draw. He also asked for the answer not to be too technical.

Yeah right! Explain only part of it and let the guy wonder why it's not working because he's doing the bit you didn't explain! That seems classic teaching technique! Did expand AofA too.

And if you can show me how to hit up on a ball (with any degree of success) that is not on a tee, I'll apologise to you. Otherwise I expect one from you!

I think you should read more carefully!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
There's a good chance that he's already hitting up on it as he's hitting fades and slices which would indicate a leftward moving path (hitting up), not likely with a descending blow if he's already drawing his irons. Angle of attack didn't need explaining (IMO).

Of course there's several things that he COULD be doing, but he wanted it simple.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can only hit draws set up square with an open clubface!! If i setup closed my mind takes over and thinks I am going to hit it left and my hands stay open and its right.

That sort of experience is unusual, but not unique. As long as you are aware of it, then it's fine. Golf swing does occasionally demonstrate the 'battle' of importance between the conscious and unconscious thoughts/reactions. Balance and protection from/prevention of injury are highest non-essential ones and are subconscious.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah right! Explain only part of it and let the guy wonder why it's not working because he's doing the bit you didn't explain! That seems classic teaching technique! Did expand AofA too.

And if you can show me how to hit up on a ball (with any degree of success) that is not on a tee, I'll apologise to you. Otherwise I expect one from you!

I think you should read more carefully!

This is what he asked "with out getting too technical any advice on how to set up consistently on tee box to promote a draw."

He wanted to know "How to setup" Not how to hit the ball. Am I being Pedantic? :ears:

vinny613

Club Champion
Visit site
cheers everyone

some things to take away,

ball line aimed at target, shoulders and legs aimed right of target, club path around the body ie out to in so feels in a way as if im rolling it around the body, i think this is the main thing im doing wrong as im sure off t box it feels like im in to out.

work on grip, strengthen with out over doing it, and yes time on the range , the driving sort a must, rest of game is coming together nicely , just need to sort the odd wayward one away off the tee.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
cheers everyone

some things to take away,

ball line aimed at target, shoulders and legs aimed right of target, club path around the body ie out to in so feels in a way as if im rolling it around the body, i think this is the main thing im doing wrong as im sure off t box it feels like im in to out.

work on grip, strengthen with out over doing it, and yes time on the range , the driving sort a must, rest of game is coming together nicely , just need to sort the odd wayward one away off the tee.

No. Swing down your feet line to the right of target.