Senior golfer accountability thread

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
A fun little thread here.A place for seniors to chat what has helped your game this or previous seasons.Sharing tips/ideas that worked or didn’t work.I posted some pics of my progress.

Lets hear what helped you guys

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being healthy and fit ,Cycling ,yoga stretching is brilliant for golf.

I don’t practice my long game anymore.

I practice from 80/70/60/50 yds all the time now.
So if I get in trouble I lay up to one of these yardages .

Helps me plot my way around.

Technology has helped me stay in single figures massively.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Senior at our club is 55 and over my period between 55 an roughly 65 was probably my most successful period as a senior golfer.

What keeps me going now is acceptance that I am never going to be as good again.

I have now given up any range work which helps my body to not go through the stresses it used to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now turned 65 I’m improving, and my scoring is as good if not better than it’s ever been. Key (it’s no secret) for me has been over the last two years getting to know my wedge yardages and using a laser rangefinder to give me the distance. I’ve been good off the tee (don’t hit that long but hit pretty consistently decent fairway finders); mid-long game has always been a bit ropey but I generally keep it going in the right direction. And oh yes. Just about eliminated my card killing shanks (though I did one today through too much club manipulation).

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m a ripe 61 years old. And do an hour and half of HITT training 4 times a week.Which includes a 2 mile run.My swing speed was 94 miles an hour a year ago.Just last week I was clocked at 107 mph.I a credit that to learning a high draw off the tee.Also worked on my impact alignments and syncing up lower and upper body thru the strike

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Turned 61 this year and went from a 4 to a 1 handicap during this season. My lowest ever. I hardly ever practice whereas I used to hit balls nearly every day. If there is a secret, I wish I had found it 30 years ago.
I learnt a while ago that smashing balls on a range is counterproductive.
Short game practice is everything and is where you normally find the low handicappers.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Now turned 65 I’m improving, and my scoring is as good if not better than it’s ever been. Key (it’s no secret) for me has been over the last two years getting to know my wedge yardages and using a laser rangefinder to give me the distance. I’ve been good off the tee (don’t hit that long but hit pretty consistently decent fairway finders); mid-long game has always been a bit ropey but I generally keep it going in the right direction. And oh yes. Just about eliminated my card killing shanks (though I did one today through too much club manipulation).
Took you a while to come round to it though ;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Retirement.
With that came taking up the notion of playing some social golf with vintage clubs.
Seems to have increased (or maybe regained) my level of golfing skill. Or would that have happened anyway with the decrease in stress following retirement?
Either way - happy how it has turned out.
Enjoying golf as much as ever.
This year - runner up in the club championship and tied 7th place in the county seniors championship.
Staying competitive and playing some golf when "its not all about the score". Best of both worlds for me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did a 2 day course with James Andrews Golf in north Essex a few weeks ago. Totally loved the coaching lasting over several hours each day and much easier to take in the changes Instead of having an hour lesson and forgetting half the changes by the next lesson we covered the changes slowly but surely over the 2 days.

Being close to my 71st birthday I was getting into a " keep playing, or give up" state of mind. I am really happy with what I learned and my play has really improved, I'm still hitting a decent distance and still feeling competitive in club competition. (main ones as well as vets) .