Senior Flex

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the possibility of getting a Senior Flex hybrid at a decent price but I will not be able to test it first of all. All of my other clubs are Regular but looking at Flex recommendations my swing speed actually comes comfortably into Senior territory :oops:. For people who have made the move, how big a difference does it feel? Are they weirdly whippy or is it too marginal to tell.

The shaft in question is a standard Ping Shaft, same as my other hybrid and 3 wood, but Snr not R.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is something that really depends on the actual shaft.

I keep a senior flex shaft for my driver for when I have not played for some time due to injury. Within a a couple of rounds I am back to using my reg shaft. For me when the shaft gets too soft I start to leave the head too late in the swing and get blocked slices with it.

I have made the suggestion to switch to senior for some of my mates (all in their later years of life) and those that made the switch have not regretted it. Funny thing one was sold a driver purported to be senior flex when it was a actually S flex, he was told the S stood for senior.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had a few regular flex drivers and stiff flex drivers.

One Reg flex I had was so whippy that I assumed I needed a stiff flex. Fast forward a few years and some very poor driving and last year tried two drivers both with reg flex that were ideal and changed my driving from such a weak point to a decent part of my game.

So the moral of the story is, not all reg is the same flex across manufacturers, and the same will go with senior or stiff flex.

But if it's second hand and you're getting at a decent price then should be easy enough to sell on again if you don't get along.

D

Deleted member 21258

I have adams 7 wood and 9 wood. 7 Wood is regular, 9 wood is ladies flex(or senior, cant remember). Used to also have an adams 3 & 5 wood in stiff flex (now replaced with m1 stiff).

Whilst they definitely feel different by quite alot(flex and weights), I switch off from that whilst actually hitting the ball, and for me personally I cant say I have noticed much difference in actual results.

if it doesn't work, resell it (or put it with the other clubs that didn't work pile ;))

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve just lately changed my irons from stiff to regular and hardly notice any difference really. Only changed because I’d had my old irons 8 years and they kept going rusty but in all honesty I can’t tell any difference in shaft flex.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I have a friend who struggles for swing speed. He bought a Ping driver with a very light, senior flex Shaft. It has revolutionised his game. I reckon he's 20 yards longer with the senior flex. I know your swing, Lord T, I would go for it &, if it works, think about changing the driver as well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I once had an Adams Blue hybrid, which was meant to be regular but it was only 55 grams I think, and I hated it. Felt like swinging a piece of rope and I could never get the contact right. But of course you never know until you try.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I once had an Adams Blue hybrid, which was meant to be regular but it was only 55 grams I think, and I hated it. Felt like swinging a piece of rope and I could never get the contact right. But of course you never know until you try.
Light doesn't necessarily mean bendy. Also 55g is very light for a hybrid, I would have thought. A lot of 3 woods are 70 grams, the weight goes up as the club length goes down.

D

Deleted member 23344

You should try it. I’m 68 and went over to senior flex five years ago in my driver, woods and hybrids, as my swing speed was in the range suggested for them, and found I was hitting it better. It didn’t feel any different, but the ball goes a little further and my accuracy improved. I still have regular steel in my irons but, as I have hybrids up to seven, it is only the 8- SW. I have often thought about changing to senior in them too.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got fitted for a driver shaft way back in 2011 or something, it turned out a shaft made for single figure senior players gave me the best numbers.

I literally went out and took multiple shots of my handicap that summer. I ended up selling it when I need cash 6 years ago and thought I was done with golf and I have not driven as well since!

In the end the letter on the shaft isnt the best guide as there are no rules about what they should be. A bit like buying medium or large clothes, there is a good chance it will fit but sometimes you need to get the other size.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The flex is senior, my back feels senior but I'm not there yet. That gave me the edge, the other bloke was still asking his grandson how to bid again when I slid in at the end and won ?

One thing to remember with softer shafts......it's often the case that the harder you try and swing, the further left the ball will go.
Just relax, take it easy and let the club do the work.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the NS Modus Pro 105 stiff flex in my irons - I got fitted for them as I like a light but stiff shaft. My driver is X flex but only 60gram - for me it's the weight of the shaft than the flex.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought I would give an update on this now I have had a chance to try my club out a good few times. I have Ping G25 3 wood, reg, hybrid 23° reg and hybrid 20° senior so I think I can make a fair comparison between the differences. There is a mild difference between the reg and senior but it is not dramatic in feel. I have tried a ladies shaft before and that felt like a trick shot club, it is absolutely nothing like that. As Bob very helpfully mentioned, the smoother I hit it the better it goes. It is still taking a good deal of control not to swing like Rory with it but when I do slow it down it is wonderful. It defintely gives a bit of help and it is easily becoming one of the best clubs in my bag.

I am not losing distance compared to other clubs, or where it should fit in sequence. There is no negative side to it.

All in all I am very happy with this and if anyone else has a slow swing speed then they really should consider the change. I am not going to rush to change my existing clubs but as I do change them over time I will go to a senior shaft now across the board.