Sellers remorse - what kit should you never ever have flogged

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bored isolation nostalgia thread alert.

Before the four horsemen decided to end the world, I was doing plenty of window shopping for new irons.

Stumbled across a set of battered looking Adams XTD forged irons (which I used to own) and I realised.

I should never have bloody sold them in the first place.

Bought a set new 3-pw from hurricane golf in the state’s about 5 years ago.

Set comprised of 3/4 Adams DHY mini hybrids and 5-pw in irons. C-taper shafts and lovely Iomic grips.

RRP was about 1400 quid or something stupid. I however ot them for an absolute steal and think I paid about £450 including import fees.

Abyway. They were the best irons I’ve ever owned. The hybrids flew like anything and I hit the irons long and lower than anything else I’ve owned.
the c taper shafts took a little getting used to but the feel like so powerful when you finally do.

I loved them. Genuinely hit the 7i about 175 (I hit a reasonable 165 now) the 3 hybrid was silly easy to hit of the tee and went miles.

they felt great and I loved them even though they were a little bit fugly

However. After hankering over wanting a 4 iron

I sold the lot and bought another set of 4-pw. This time they had the X flex c tapers. I thought I had the minerals to use these shafts. Thought I was a beast

Well...

I’m not.

Recently found out that even Justin rose only plays the S+ as the X flex in these is reserved for proper monsters

I flogged the new set almost immediately and bought a set of Cobra Cb’s

Anyway. I’ve always regretted selling those bats. Really bugs me that I flogged them.

What wands have you lot sold or given away over the years that you regret?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A Cleveland Launcher high launch 3 wood from 2009.
3 wood length shaft, 17° loft and it was a beast from tee or deck.
This one had the gold Fujikura stiff shaft..just seemed to work so well
I've tried others since but they just didn't seem to have what that one had.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing..as yet. I've got a few things I'm holding on to, sentimental reasons and one I would like to use but the current club it was bought to replace keeps on producing magic things, that should really get the chop. But as I say...nothing yet.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Orka Rs1/3/5 irons I bought for £30 from eBay. Played beautifully with them for 12 months then thought I was good enough for a full set of blades. I wasn’t. At all. Never recovered from that harsh lesson..

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad to say nothing. Everything I’ve bought has been a genuine upgrade to the replaced. The oldest club remaining is an Adams A7 4h with a prolaunch graffoloy blue shaft and I can’t imagine ever getting rid.

If I ever try, stop me.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
srixon z765 irons....
ping piper s putter

tbh.... the list could go on..... all fun.

As soon as I think my bag is good, something else sticks its smelly head above the parapet!!!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me a Ben Hogan 4 wood that I could just about make sing and dance and a Maxfli ossie blade wedge that was such a beautiful club.
Broke a Billy Casper putter that I had for most of my good playing years, leaned on it to pick a ball out of the hole and the hosel just split I was close to tears.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the Prov1 first came out I was using Strata Tour Ultimate and I decided I would not play with the Prov1 because it had no where near the spin levels of the Strata. During that time I bought 3 dozen Maxfli when they were being cleared off the shelf at the fantastic price of £15 a dozen and decided the same about them.

During the next year or so I found loads of Prov1s (probably around 10 dozen). These and the Maxflis were sold for silly money on ebay.

When I eventually run out of the Strata I realised that none of the modern balls spun as well as them and then had to pay full price for the best alternative I could find.

Could have had 2-3 years worth of balls for next to nothing.

Zig

Visit site
Mizuno mp32s. Bought some 'bargain' AP2s from eBay, struggled with them for couple of years. Fitter them told me reason I was finding them hard was the shafts were 1" shorter... therefore shafts even stiffer. I didn't know, and original shaft specs were already stiff enough! :(

Now looking to get some properly fitted mizuno's after falling out of love with my pings too.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a set of MP37 irons years ago, immaculate too, sold them for peanuts. Since picked up another set but nothing like the originals.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
An odyssey metal x centre shaft putter, wasnt using it at the time but I did love it and they are pretty hard to come by these days

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mizuno mp32s. Bought some 'bargain' AP2s from eBay, struggled with them for couple of years. Fitter them told me reason I was finding them hard was the shafts were 1" shorter... therefore shafts even stiffer. :(

Bit of odd advice there - stiffness is determined by the distance of the appropriate point on the shaft from the head/hosel and not by the overall length of the club. e.g. with a TrueTemper DG shaft the distance between the tip and the first taper determines shaft flex and which club head it goes in to.

Zig

Visit site
Bit of odd advice there - stiffness is determined by the distance of the appropriate point on the shaft from the head/hosel and not by the overall length of the club. e.g. with a TrueTemper DG shaft the distance between the tip and the first taper determines shaft flex and which club head it goes in to.
Don't know Jim to be honest; just repeating what he said. In fairness, he could tell me anything as I have no knowledge of anything like that. I just swing the club and hope it goes in the right direction. ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
H'mm. There's also a bit more complexity to it than that! And stiffness depends on whether it's as measured by a CPM device or by 'feel' and with or without the (different weighted) heads attached. And whichever method id used, as the stiffness of the different sections of a shaft vary, both tip and butt trimming (and hard or soft stepping) WILL affect (apparent) stiffness. The key is to make a 'matching' set.

But you are certainly correct about TT DG shaft specs vs club head attributes, provided the word 'normal' or 'standard' is included!