Sell your club in 50 words.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Off topic, but does anyone want to provide a summary of what it is like to be a member at a resort club?

St. Andrews and Gleneagles being the ones mentioned here.

Is it worth it for the hassle with tourists, events, fallow days, having to book tee times well in advance?

I'd imagine that playing the Old Course every other week... the novelty could wear off with the volume of traffic and pace of play etc. Possibly same with the PGA Centenary course - especially in July / August when it seems several million Americans come to Scotland (although appreciate the Kings is a more playable course).

Do you tend to play mostly at the other, less popular courses?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Bowood in Wiltshire has gone wierd since the hotel was built.... many of my mates left there as getting times was becoming increasingly difficult, getting stuck being folk struggling to get round - buggies parked on greens (honest!) etc

So back on topic - they might say... North Wilts GC - nice, if unremarkable, downland course. Get round in 3hrs 20. No blooming hotel on site! :D

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bowood in Wiltshire has gone wierd since the hotel was built.... many of my mates left there as getting times was becoming increasingly difficult, getting stuck being folk struggling to get round - buggies parked on greens (honest!) etc

So back on topic - they might say... North Wilts GC - nice, if unremarkable, downland course. Get round in 3hrs 20. No blooming hotel on site! :D

I was a member there pre hotel for about 5 years.
I wouldn't want to be a member of a hotel course, too many people trying to play who haven't a chuffing clue

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Off topic, but does anyone want to provide a summary of what it is like to be a member at a resort club?

Not first hand but from friends who joined the most famous one in these parts, thinking all that glitters was gold...

Packed courses with players of all abilities (putting it kindly). Being treated as 2nd class citizens behind hotel guests.
Everything ran with profit first, second and third. Having booked tee times moved to fit in hotel guests. Lack of competitions which bizzarely were amateurishly ran. Constant 5+ hour rounds.

It drove/drives them nuts.

Some good points - courses well kept, great (if expensive) facilities (gym/range etc) and relaxed dress code (due to hotel)

Heard similar from friends at smaller less well known hotel courses

Definitely not my cup of tea. Maybe for a weekend away but not for membership.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Is it worth it for the hassle with tourists, events, fallow days, having to book tee times well in advance?

I'd imagine that playing the Old Course every other week... the novelty could wear off with the volume of traffic and pace of play etc. Possibly same with the PGA Centenary course - especially in July / August when it seems several million Americans come to Scotland (although appreciate the Kings is a more playable course).

TBH most of the members tend to play on either The Kings or The Queens but I do like PGA the best and there is no real issues getting tee times on any of the courses. Competition wise there are 2 medals every week right through the season and various competitions over the winter and with having the option of 3 courses it's hard not to enjoy your golf.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not first hand but from friends who joined the most famous one in these parts, thinking all that glitters was gold...

Packed courses with players of all abilities (putting it kindly). Being treated as 2nd class citizens behind hotel guests.
Everything ran with profit first, second and third. Having booked tee times moved to fit in hotel guests. Lack of competitions which bizzarely were amateurishly ran. Constant 5+ hour rounds.

It drove/drives them nuts.

Some good points - courses well kept, great (if expensive) facilities (gym/range etc) and relaxed dress code (due to hotel)

Heard similar from friends at smaller less well known hotel courses

Definitely not my cup of tea. Maybe for a weekend away but not for membership.

Where was that.

Reminds me of Selsdon Manor, should be an absolute stonker of a course. But the hotel ruins it on two fronts, the hotel guests, and the club house is in the hotel, and the hotel staff don't really like the golfers.

Shame as it could be fabulous

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Not sure you would call St Andrews old a Resort course as such. its a council course;)but the New and Jubilee are better courses than the old anyway and all the members of the clubs at St A play those

you don't get to play it that often even as an R&A members 2 or 3 times a year according to my mate.

Royal Dornoch is in the top 10 courses in the world though not a resort course either and is around about £400 to be a member, but unless you want to play before 8am every day in the season the round takes 5 hours as its rammed with yanks if you play after 9am