Scudamore £5m bonus

D

Deleted member 16999

And no small number of season ticket holders would like to shake him warmly by the throat for the havoc his efforts now wreak with our diaries & social lives outside of football.
Agreed mate, now it’s hit the press some Clubs are claiming they are not happy with it, Leics, Palace, Wolves, Huddersfield and Burnley disagreed with it at the mtg, but no vote took place, it was a recommendation from a panel, and some bloke called Bruce Buck. ;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
And no small number of season ticket holders would like to shake him warmly by the throat for the havoc his efforts now wreak with our diaries & social lives outside of football.

I feel your pain, it's been sometime since i last held one at St Mary's, BUT i would argue that for some clubs. Without the reinvention of the premier league they'd be watching a poorer standard of football than they currnelty are. That may well be acceptbale to those that have grown up on the terraces before skuy. But as things change, i'm sure they newer fans that now watch games prefer watching the premier league with it's collection of stars.

Without the money, i reckon the league would have been even more of a closed shop for the big boys as clubs wouldn't have been as attractive to invest in. Chelsea maybe, but city certainly not.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Agreed mate, now it’s hit the press some Clubs are claiming they are not happy with it, Leics, Palace, Wolves, Huddersfield and Burnley disagreed with it at the mtg, but no vote took place, it was a recommendation from a panel, and some bloke called Bruce Buck. ;)

Was that Bruce Buck as chairman of the Premier League Appointments Committee or Bruce Buck in his capacity as a club chairman? :unsure:

D

Deleted member 16999

I feel your pain, it's been sometime since i last held one at St Mary's, BUT i would argue that for some clubs. Without the reinvention of the premier league they'd be watching a poorer standard of football than they currnelty are. That may well be acceptbale to those that have grown up on the terraces before skuy. But as things change, i'm sure they newer fans that now watch games prefer watching the premier league with it's collection of stars.

Without the money, i reckon the league would have been even more of a closed shop for the big boys as clubs wouldn't have been as attractive to invest in. Chelsea maybe, but city certainly not.
Why not City? They’ve had success over the years pre premier league and how do you know they were only attractive because of the PL.
Scudamore had 19 years in charge and was on approx a million a year plus bonus’s he was paid handsomly and as I’ve shown above they given him a sweetner to prevent him going elsewhere, it’s not exactly a thank you. They are worried!

dronfield

Visit site
Buck was the guy i was referring to in my op - Scudamore's buddy at Chelsea
Unbelievable that they didnt think or probably didnt care, to what the pubic reaction to such a payment would be.

Rich

D

Deleted member 16999

Buck was the guy i was referring to in my op - Scudamore's buddy at Chelsea
Unbelievable that they didnt think or probably didnt care, to what the pubic reaction to such a payment would be.

Rich
They don’t care, but look at what the pay off covers, non-compete policy, consultant position etc.
It looks more to me they are worried he has too much knowledge or be tempted in to another sport.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Whilst the armchair season ticket holders slap him on the back for delivering "the product".

Can any club survive on 40k tickets sales a week?
Why not City? They’ve had success over the years pre premier league and how do you know they were only attractive because of the PL.
Scudamore had 19 years in charge and was on approx a million a year plus bonus’s he was paid handsomly and as I’ve shown above they given him a sweetner to prevent him going elsewhere, it’s not exactly a thank you. They are worried!

Imo, without the PL being what it is now. Billionaires wouldn't likely have contemplated investing. What would be the point for them? It would have been affordable for more local businesses maybe.

City, do have historical success, but imo it was the pl that had the likes of Roman and the Sheiks interested. Not the clubs they bought as such.

As to his pay off. Yes he has been paid well, but football is now a business, if he is basically on gardening leave, then good lluck to him. Lots of corporations do the same.

D

Deleted member 16999

Can any club survive on 40k tickets sales a week?

Imo, without the PL being what it is now. Billionaires wouldn't likely have contemplated investing. What would be the point for them? It would have been affordable for more local businesses maybe.

City, do have historical success, but imo it was the pl that had the likes of Roman and the Sheiks interested. Not the clubs they bought as such.

As to his pay off. Yes he has been paid well, but football is now a business, if he is basically on gardening leave, then good lluck to him. Lots of corporations do the same.
Are you aware of any of these rich people making huge profits yet? Abramovich or the sheiks etc.

As for more of a closed shop! That’s confusing as it’s been proved on here time and time again it was far more competitive pre PL than it is now.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
They can if they cut their cloth accordingly 👍

Do you think if the Prem hadn't been formed as it is, it would have continued like the old first division? Most the major european leagues have increased due to sponsorship, not just the prem. So whilst it's good to remember the good old days, its unrealistic imo to think it would have stayed as was. Someone else would have come along, or if they hadn't then english football would be where the likes of the dutch/scottish etc are, weakened domestic leagues. I'd argue even most season ticket holders wouldn't want that deep down.

Are you aware of any of these rich people making huge profits yet? Abramovich or the sheiks etc.

As for more of a closed shop! That’s confusing as it’s been proved on here time and time again it was far more competitive pre PL than it is now.

I've not said they should have made a profit, just that it wouldn't have appealed to them as an investment. If you've got 100k in the bank you probably don't play the 2p machines at the arcades. Point being, the glitz and glamour appeals to them.

Re closed shop, even without the prem as it is now, football would have evolved with finances playing their part. The squads utd dominated the early part of the prem would still have existed and then with their success and ground size/marketability would have made them more dominate imo. Prior to Fergie leaving utd had spent less than numerous other teams and still dominated.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Quite often the money taken out is hidden as consultancy fees, payments to other companies owned by the same people etc. The club may not show a profit, they may even show a loss, but the owner's will have squirreled the money out somehow. There is money in football.

I suspect for Abramovich, perhaps even the Sheikhs, it was more of a toy so money was not his driver.

D

Deleted member 16999

Quite often the money taken out is hidden as consultancy fees, payments to other companies owned by the same people etc. The club may not show a profit, they may even show a loss, but the owner's will have squirreled the money out somehow. There is money in football.

I suspect for Abramovich, perhaps even the Sheikhs, it was more of a toy so money was not his driver.
There’s always been money in football, look at the Moore’s family with Everton and Lpool, were did all the revenue pre PL go, maybe a different level but very rich people taking money out of the game.
I accept it’s a business now and the old days have well and truly gone, but we are talking about a big/top 6 now, not so long ago it was the big/top 4 in 5-10 years you could be talking about a big/top 8 or 10, the game has evolved, but not all for negative reasons.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The increased money in the prem hadn't come from season tickets, it's come from TV. So Sky used to cost me about £10 a month for the footy. Now it's more and I need BT sport too, and possibly another(what ever it's called that had the PGA major). So yeah, thanks Scudamore, what I used to get for a tenner a month now costs me 60. And the idiot gets a 5m bonus. Stuff it, it's robbery. The clubs are not paying this bonus, the fans are, and they are being stripped every which way.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The increased money in the prem hadn't come from season tickets, it's come from TV. So Sky used to cost me about £10 a month for the footy. Now it's more and I need BT sport too, and possibly another(what ever it's called that had the PGA major). So yeah, thanks Scudamore, what I used to get for a tenner a month now costs me 60. And the idiot gets a 5m bonus. Stuff it, it's robbery. The clubs are not paying this bonus, the fans are, and they are being stripped every which way.
From a buisness point of view surely this proves that he’s done ok 🤷‍♂️

It’s not robbery because you chose to pay it.

£5m is obscene,but I have to laugh at all the people having a pop at him.
Yeah because they’d all donate it to grass roots football 🙄.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you think if the Prem hadn't been formed as it is, it would have continued like the old first division? Most the major european leagues have increased due to sponsorship, not just the prem. So whilst it's good to remember the good old days, its unrealistic imo to think it would have stayed as was. Someone else would have come along, or if they hadn't then english football would be where the likes of the dutch/scottish etc are, weakened domestic leagues. I'd argue even most season ticket holders wouldn't want that deep down.

I've not said they should have made a profit, just that it wouldn't have appealed to them as an investment. If you've got 100k in the bank you probably don't play the 2p machines at the arcades. Point being, the glitz and glamour appeals to them.

Re closed shop, even without the prem as it is now, football would have evolved with finances playing their part. The squads utd dominated the early part of the prem would still have existed and then with their success and ground size/marketability would have made them more dominate imo. Prior to Fergie leaving utd had spent less than numerous other teams and still dominated.

In the 15 years before the prem, Leeds, Everton, Villa, Arsenal and Liverpool won division one.

In recent years only Leicester have not been a club of "means", and I'd also include Blackburn in a list of club with "means".

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I accept in the distant past more clubs had a chance to win a title, what I contest is that it’s all gone bad because of Sky. The money in football was inevitable. Does it mean the sport is better now than in the past? That’s up for debate.

But imo, Utds dominance under Fergie Would of happened whoever was runnning the league.

***in my defence I’m not old enough to remember 15 years prior to the prem, and fully accept those that experienced would have fond memories***

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

When I started drinking almost every pub had pints for £1, now they all want £5. I could buy a tin of beans for 5p, now they’re 60p.

Almost everything that we want, has gone up massively in the last 20 years. Imo, the amount of sport provided for £60 for those foolish enough to pay the full amount is still massive value for money.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Papas, you are drinking in the wrong pubs :eek:. I'm having a weekend in N.Yorkshire and a pint of Black Sheep last night cost me £3.50. £5, Blimey o_O. (I get your point though)