Scudamore £5m bonus

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
Simple question - how does anyone consider this to be acceptable?
His mate at Chelsea has somehow got all the PL clubs to chuck £250k into a pot as a leaving present for him (on top of his £2.5m pa salary).

Scudamore should be embarrassed to accept this - why is this not being given to charity?

Another example of the people running football being completely out of touch with normal folk - i am a footie fan (Blades season ticket holder).

Rich

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Hi
Simple question - how does anyone consider this to be acceptable?
His mate at Chelsea has somehow got all the PL clubs to chuck £250k into a pot as a leaving present for him (on top of his £2.5m pa salary).

Scudamore should be embarrassed to accept this - why is this not being given to charity?

Another example of the people running football being completely out of touch with normal folk - i am a footie fan (Blades season ticket holder).

Rich

Been covered on the footy thread, two trains of thought. One aligned to yours, the other that his the chairman of a business that has shown paralleled growth, and that a £5m bonus is small fry in comparison to what the big city firms would pay.

dronfield

Visit site
Been covered on the footy thread, two trains of thought. One aligned to yours, the other that his the chairman of a business that has shown paralleled growth, and that a £5m bonus is small fry in comparison to what the big city firms would pay.
Cheers Papas - sorry, didnt see the other thread.
Rich

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
In that case shouldnt the PL be giving him the £5m handshake rather than the clubs?
Who's actually making the money? The PL itself or the clubs courtesy of the work he's done for the league?

I accept it's a weird one, i mean in theory there have been more like 35/40 pl teams since he's been there, so why it falls just on this seasons one i don't know. What i don't agree with is the moral outrage that the money could be spent better elsewhere, clubs pay 500k to some of their stars for a months work. If they wanted to invest 500k in the surrounding areas they could. Scudamores payment isn't stopping that.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No.

He has been paid to do a job, and I'd be very surprised if that job didn't include bonuses based on profitability of the business.

And what makes it worse; he stays on after his leave date in an advisory capacity, no doubt on a good wage. He's not leaving. He's stepping down from the top job.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok with the clubs giving him an expensive clock but is it fair to ask the Brighton's and Watford's to pay the same as the top 5 clubs who have enjoyed Scudamore's wealth making talents for much longer

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok with the clubs giving him an expensive clock but is it fair to ask the Brighton's and Watford's to pay the same as the top 5 clubs who have enjoyed Scudamore's wealth making talents for much longer
Same goes for the likes of Villa who benefited for years but are now no longer in the league. Deeply flawed.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
A golden handshake when he leaves, okay with that, if he's done a good job, but 5 million quid, you have to be joking, that is a disgusting amount of money, 500 hundred quid would be more acceptable but is still way to much.

D

Deleted member 25172

As much as I'm a "fan", or whatever you wanna call it of the free market and that what you are being paid is in par with your value, I always get a sour feeling when I see people getting this kind of money for stepping down from a job. Politicians, industrial tycoons etc etc.

I remember the outrage in Sweden way back when the chairman of the industry company ABB got a pension package of £40 million quid when he stepped down. They argued that he'd been a vital part in their growth etc etc. On a rational level, I completely understand it, but it just feels plain wrong when it comes to those kinds of sums. I can't really argue it in a better way than how I feel about it. Funny, as I usually hate it when people feel too much instead of thinking. Guess it's just human nature to not always be rational.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s a disgrace - if the PL want to give him a leaving Bonus on top of his big wages and his yearly bonus then they should pay it. Massively disappointed that Liverpool didn’t refuse to pay it

D

Deleted member 18588

I understand that the payment is being spread over three years and the money is coming from PL central funds.

The clubs are not individually making any payment.

dronfield

Visit site
I understand that the payment is being spread over three years and the money is coming from PL central funds.

The clubs are not individually making any payment.
Hi
That is not how it has been reported - BBC sport states that the PL has confirmed the £5m bonus is being "paid by the clubs"

Rich

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Leaving the contractual and performance aspects to one side, this is going to leave a bitter taste to a lot of football fans.
If he had anything about him he would refuse the £5million and ensure it gets used in grants to village teams trying to rebuild their changing rooms or similar grass roots projects.
What better legacy than that?
And he's being kept on as a Consultant!!
So he's still going to get paid....

D

Deleted member 18588

Hi
That is not how it has been reported - BBC sport states that the PL has confirmed the £5m bonus is being "paid by the clubs"

Rich

And you trust BBC Sport to get it right?

Obviously, in a way, the Clubs are paying but as far as I am aware they aren't making specific payments.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Leaving the contractual and performance aspects to one side, this is going to leave a bitter taste to a lot of football fans.
If he had anything about him he would refuse the £5million and ensure it gets used in grants to village teams trying to rebuild their changing rooms or similar grass roots projects.
What better legacy than that?
And he's being kept on as a Consultant!!
So he's still going to get paid....

Premierleague and morale compass.

Not really things that go hand in hand.......

D

Deleted member 16999

The payments, which will eventually total £5 million, will be spread over the next three years and are in consideration of three important areas:

• It was vital that a comprehensive set of non-compete clauses were extended, to ensure the best possible protection for the future of the Premier League.

• It was agreed that it is crucial for the League’s ongoing success that Richard’s unique knowledge and experience remain available in an advisory capacity.

• The payments are in recognition of the outstanding work Richard has carried out over the last 19 years.

The Premier League would like to put on record our thanks to Richard for his exceptional contribution to the success of the League.

The above is the PL statement.

Not quite a leaving present, but still wrong imo.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The payments, which will eventually total £5 million, will be spread over the next three years and are in consideration of three important areas:

• It was vital that a comprehensive set of non-compete clauses were extended, to ensure the best possible protection for the future of the Premier League.

• It was agreed that it is crucial for the League’s ongoing success that Richard’s unique knowledge and experience remain available in an advisory capacity.

• The payments are in recognition of the outstanding work Richard has carried out over the last 19 years.

The Premier League would like to put on record our thanks to Richard for his exceptional contribution to the success of the League.

The above is the PL statement.

Not quite a leaving present, but still wrong imo.

And no small number of season ticket holders would like to shake him warmly by the throat for the havoc his efforts now wreak with our diaries & social lives outside of football.