Scotty Cameron

Tommy10

Visit site
Are these putters as good as I am led to believe?

Or is it more the symbolic value of having one in your bag when you play?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think I've had 4 over the years. I always lust after them, they are beautifully crafted bits of kit but they just never seem to work for me. Try one and decide for yourself (y)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Vastly overpriced imo - but I'm a fan/collector of similarly vastly overpriced Bettinardis!

The only Scotties I've really got on with turned out to have been made by Bettinardi - as was the one that 'made' him in the first place (Langer's Masters winning one).

But if you find a putter that 'works' for you, then it's worth whatever you have to pay for it!

Personally, I believe Yes putters make some of the best value putters - and there's almost certainly one in their range to suit any golfer.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
They are certainly well made.
Will they hole more putts? If they increase your confidence they might.
Are they worth it? Value is in the eye of the individual.

Personally I don't think they're worth it, a putter is a weight on the end of a shaft, it doesn't need to be machined to super tight tolerances, just to feel balanced in your hands.
And most of them are copies/variations of designs from other manufacturers, perhaps why he's known as Scotty Camera in some circles.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are excellent putters, but like everything else you need to find the right fit. There are fitting sessions currently booking with the Cameron Tour rep Henry Byrne at Titleist in Cambs. Some Camerons are face balanced, others have variable degrees of toe hang (suiting an arc putter). There is a whole other world of collecting rare and Tour Camerons (I was once in that world, used to play with one of Rory's cast offs), and you can spend serious cash on some of the rare and bespoke items. If you have the dough you can go to Cameron in California and have a fitting at his Gallery, then buy the bespoke putter you have been fitted for. The head covers and other accessories are collectible too.

But there are also a lot more high end brands the there used to be. Bettinardi, who made some of the early Camerons, makes good stuff, Toulon Design is a sub-brand of Odyssey, Ping Vault, etc. A lot of manufacturers have realised there is a small section of golfers who will drop quite a lot of money on a putter they like.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
I keep going online and doing various different custom options on their website ahead of a big birthday next year but the overriding concern is having one in the bag and not being the Cat 1 player it deserves..... All the gear so to speak

I may be over thinking it but unlike owning a Ferrari, I don 't, which you can still use to just drive to shops and don't have to be Ayrton Senna with the Scotty you can either putt or you can't and will get found out very quickly...

GBC

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I keep going online and doing various different custom options on their website ahead of a big birthday next year but the overriding concern is having one in the bag and not being the Cat 1 player it deserves..... All the gear so to speak

I may be over thinking it but unlike owning a Ferrari, I don 't, which you can still use to just drive to shops and don't have to be Ayrton Senna with the Scotty you can either putt or you can't and will get found out very quickly...

GBC

An average driver can't drive a F1 car, nor even fit into it, probably. He can use a Cameron, though, but whether he uses it any better than a cheapo putter is another question. Fitting for style of putter (arc or SBST), weight, length and grip size would be a good start. There is a thread somewhere here about a forum member who got fitted at a place in Milton Keynes, I think. There are other fitters too, Precision Golf do a lot of it. Most of us are wiling to get fitted for our driver but not for our putter.

Tommy10

Visit site
I have a fitting booked for Tuesday, had one booked for end of August at American Golf but pulled it forward and now going to a local golf club to get it.

They have a wide range of Odyssey, Taylormade, SC etc so no doubt I'll find something that rolls well and feels good once they see the stats my putts spit out.

Seem to miss putts regularly on the left which, on researching, suggests I could be lining up wrong and decelerating at address.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't believe they perform markedly better than other brands. They do charge a premium for the name. As always with putters it's about finding the one with the perfect weight, balance and feel for you - whether that's a Scotty or something else.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
An average driver can't drive a F1 car, nor even fit into it, probably. He can use a Cameron, though, but whether he uses it any better than a cheapo putter is another question. Fitting for style of putter (arc or SBST), weight, length and grip size would be a good start. There is a thread somewhere here about a forum member who got fitted at a place in Milton Keynes, I think. There are other fitters too, Precision Golf do a lot of it. Most of us are wiling to get fitted for our driver but not for our putter.

Just like how most of us will go to the range but not the putting green ....

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
For me it's another brand that sells on it's name and, as has been said above, produces some which are direct copies of other designs. When they've tried to introduce their own designs they seem to generally be less popular. For me, I wouldn't pay the money as the important thing is the person holding the stick and what's between their ears. They certainly won't turn you from a bad putter to a good putter.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Are these putters as good as I am led to believe?

Or is it more the symbolic value of having one in your bag when you play?

If you want a Scotty Cameron, go and buy a Scotty Cameron.

They look great, have great branding and build quality. Obviously they are worth £300 to £400 as people pay that for them and some pay a LOT more in the Circle T market.

Will it make you a better putter?
Does it have better performance than a lot of other putters at a fraction of the price?
No, on both counts. Unless you are inspired to learn and practice with it.

If you want a premium product and are going to keep it in the bag for a long, long time - then go for it. An extra £100 or £200 on a club that you keep for 10 years isn't really a big deal over that time period.

I had a Cleveland putter that was fine. Just a bit tatty and not worth spending money on to refurb (such was the price of a brand new one) so I eventually spent £195 on a Ping Anser. The most I've ever spent on a golf club, but at the time I could afford it and love having it in the bag 2 years later.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
If you want a Scotty Cameron, go and buy a Scotty Cameron.

They look great, have great branding and build quality. Obviously they are worth £300 to £400 as people pay that for them and some pay a LOT more in the Circle T market.

Will it make you a better putter?
Does it have better performance than a lot of other putters at a fraction of the price?
No, on both counts. Unless you are inspired to learn and practice with it.

If you want a premium product and are going to keep it in the bag for a long, long time - then go for it. An extra £100 or £200 on a club that you keep for 10 years isn't really a big deal over that time period.

I had a Cleveland putter that was fine. Just a bit tatty and not worth spending money on to refurb (such was the price of a brand new one) so I eventually spent £195 on a Ping Anser. The most I've ever spent on a golf club, but at the time I could afford it and love having it in the bag 2 years later.

Describes it perfectly ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well made and decent putters. Just make sure you get one for your stroke and happy days..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a milled Odyssey # 9 so a poor mans version on one of the Cameron model. I love the feel of a milled face so I would look at another one and would definitely look at Cameron first. That said, I can putt well with a Ping insert putter, Odyssey micro hinge so I don't think using a milled putter necessarily gives you anything extra. It's about what suits your stroke, what you feel comfy with and what you can afford