Scottish Prem 18/19

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem is that many in England do not appreciate the scale of things.

As DfT says SPL average attendances are up but if the two Glasgow giants are excluded then the next best supported Club is Hearts and their average would only be the 15th largest in the Championship in England.

Even those Championship clubs receive more in TV revenue than those in the SPL.

Hardly surprising, therefore, that the latter group struggle to compete in the market

But importantly they are, in the main, living within their means.

Aye we do live within our means, helped by selling the occasional run of the mill player for silly money.
Hertz got £4m for Osman Sow a few years ago.....helped with paying for the new stand.;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, except Aberdeen have no debt at all, so....nothing like Gretna & Livi.

Just that we have previous experience of teams from a lower league taking leading players from leagues above.

I suppose the same could be said for the Edmiston Drive crew as they bumbled their way up from the bottom of the pile.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
According to Willie Miller he wasn't on £4k per week at Aberdeen but he will now be at Salford.

When he was at Birmingham he looked to be the slowest striker in the game and certainly struggled at Championship level.

Bit like Stevie May...when he went south so rather did his reputation...but Saints pocketed a neat £585k - mind you SW sold him to PNE for £900k and then from PNE to Aberdeen for £675...

And then there is the delightful saga of Michael O'Halloran - a nice £450k in our pockets from The ED Crew - and we got him back on loan - though I think The ED crew got their £450k back selling him on to some Aussie Outfit.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Rangers in financial bother yet again, this time with the takeover panel as Dodgy Dave fails to find £11m to comply with legal rules.

I do hope the ED Crew get themselves sorted out and their supporters recognise that not all of the clubs problems have been down to the actions of others; accept their part in the mess; and display just a little bit of humility - pigs could fly I suppose. As much as might hate to say it I actually do want a strong Rangers - Scottish football really does need them (though not in every way and not all of their support)

D

Deleted member 15344

Aye *Scottish* football in trouble eh? A guy that failed up here, now worth £8m apparently. Laughable.

Failed ? 41 goals in 78 appearances ? Then went on and did well at Ipswich as well and looks like the fee will be closer to £4-5 mil

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Failed ? 41 goals in 78 appearances ? Then went on and did well at Ipswich as well and looks like the fee will be closer to £4-5 mil

Played a full season in the Scottish Championship against teams Rangers easily rolled over and scored 20 goals. He scored only 7 goals in 32 appearances in the Premier League the next season, so yes, I'd say he was a failure.

7 goals is a poor return for a striker of any team in the Premier League., Celtic had a defender who scored 5 goals in 22 games that same season.

A definite failure up here for sure, Salford City have taken a better striker than Waghorn from Aberdeen.

D

Deleted member 16999

Aberdeen v Burnley not on TV tonight, bit disappointing, BT showing the return leg!

D

Deleted member 18588

Failed at the top level, I'll grant you he did well in the lower leagues here and down there.

Not really.

Prior to joining Rangers he hadn't averaged one in five for clubs in England although has had a decent (not great) season for Ipswich.

Says a lot about the barmy transfer market in England. All filters down from the bloated EPL where clubs have more money than sense.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not really.

Prior to joining Rangers he hadn't averaged one in five for clubs in England although has had a decent (not great) season for Ipswich.

Says a lot about the barmy transfer market in England. All filters down from the bloated EPL where clubs have more money than sense.

Correct :thup: