Scottish Prem 18/19

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, yes and yes.

It has to be bad for Scottish football if a non league team is more attractive than a major Scottish PL team, no question.

Clearly he has gone for the money, don't blame him.

They should power through to the top non league division, getting beyond that will be tough as it then becomes a slog, a battle of endurance. Saying that I know someone who used to be involved at Gateshead and learnt a little about the finances of that division. Scary wages for the level of play and the placings in the division are pretty relatable to the wages paid. It doesn't guarantee promotion but it does get you in the top echelons.

DCB

Visit site
That's probably the worst case I've seen in recent times, but, it's just following a familiar patter, Too many young players head South to a team that can or will pay silly money compared with the SPL. There is a distinct lack of money in the whole league structure up here. Youngsters head south for far more money and aren't necessarily playing first team football every week. As a result they don't develop in the way they should. End result, we don't need to waste holidays over World Cups and European Championships as we can't put enough quality on the park to play even average teams. I noticed recently one of our supposed shining lights, Jason Cummings, has now hit the heights of English football at Peterborough in another loan deal from Forest. Not exactly what he was planning when he got his transfer away from Hibs. Part of that has to be down to bad advice from his agent/manager IMO. If he had stayed at Hibs for another couple of seasons under Lennon, who knows what may have happened.

In the example given, it's a good deal for Salford, they've got a good experienced pro who'll do a good job for them for a couple of seasons, but, you have to wonder at the players ambitions ... okay he's 30 years old, but Aberdeen are in the Europa League ...... I just don't get it ...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
DCB, I don't know what he would be on at Aberdeen but the talk is he is on £4k a week at Salford and probably gets bonuses on top of that relating to promotion through the leagues, all very achievable based on the money being thrown at the club. Aged 30, this may be his last decent pay day. His days of ambition are probably over and it is about getting the best for his family now.

I totally agree with your point about younger players though. Far too many, not just in Scotland, move clubs before they are ready and then stall, rot and disappear. Timing the move is so key but money seems to take over rather than looking long term.

D

Deleted member 1740

That's probably the worst case I've seen in recent times, but, it's just following a familiar patter, Too many young players head South to a team that can or will pay silly money compared with the SPL. There is a distinct lack of money in the whole league structure up here. Youngsters head south for far more money and aren't necessarily playing first team football every week. As a result they don't develop in the way they should. End result, we don't need to waste holidays over World Cups and European Championships as we can't put enough quality on the park to play even average teams. I noticed recently one of our supposed shining lights, Jason Cummings, has now hit the heights of English football at Peterborough in another loan deal from Forest. Not exactly what he was planning when he got his transfer away from Hibs. Part of that has to be down to bad advice from his agent/manager IMO. If he had stayed at Hibs for another couple of seasons under Lennon, who knows what may have happened.

In the example given, it's a good deal for Salford, they've got a good experienced pro who'll do a good job for them for a couple of seasons, but, you have to wonder at the players ambitions ... okay he's 30 years old, but Aberdeen are in the Europa League ...... I just don't get it ...

Football goes in cycles, 30yrs ago Rangers where paying Laudrup and the likes the same silly money. 40yrs ago Italy where paying silly money, now it’s the Premier league paying silly money.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Football goes in cycles, 30yrs ago Rangers where paying Laudrup and the likes the same silly money. 40yrs ago Italy where paying silly money, now it’s the Premier league paying silly money.

This is not even the PL though. Silly money is being paid at all levels of the English leagues

DCB

Visit site

The trouble is, Scottish football is now reaping the rewards of the times when many teams payed way over the odds for players, how many teams have been in administration .... too many to remember at first hand..... and still they don't learn. Celtic are probably the only club who are financially stable and that has to be down to wee Fergus who refused to pay silly money for players. Celtic are in a sound financial position as a result. the rest of the teams all tried to buy success and it didn't work for any of them.

D

Deleted member 16999

No, journeyman footballer nearing the end of his career getting a decent pay day.

Salford have ambition, owners spending their own money on a dream, Rooney will help them achieve it. If Rooney had been with an English club or a wherever, they’d of still gone after him.

Europa League is a red herring, he’ll miss a trip to Burnley!

Good luck to the lad.

Rangers have just took on Gerrard, so obviously still attractive to some and wouldn’t be surprised if he attracts decent players to play for him.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He's doubled his wages going to Salford. Can't blame him at 30. I'd ask what sort of turnover there is at Salford and where does FFP fit at a non-league club who can pay a player £250k a year.

Is it a slur on Scottish football? I'm not so sure but think it's more the fact that money just isn't there and most clubs are now well within their means.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like what Salford are doing. The Class of 92 guys are clearly passionate about the area and building a club - they're investing in an academy, they've got a ladies team, they sell their shirts at cost, have the lowest ticket prices in the top 8 leagues, they've built a stadium, they're doing some really good things for football in Salford. They're spending a lot of money but it makes sense to do it now when there are no FFP restrictions in the Conference. I don't think it's a great sign that Rooney would rather play for them than play in Europe but at 30 it's a good opportunity for him to make a decent wage.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nicked from Wings.

Hibs progress to the next round of the Europa cup with a two sets victory 6-1, 6-4.:lol:

Surprised you haven’t got anything to say about the OP soon as you are normally very vocal when it comes to players moving in between Scottish and English leagues

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rooney wasn't going to be playing week in week out for Aberdeen and was keen to leave, no doubt due to the extra money on offer as well as wanting to play more often. If he was playing every week at Aberdeen then he'd have been more inclined to stay and they'd have been more inclined to up his wages - maybe not to £4k per week plus bonuses, but they could've upped them all the same. Despite being a proper old school goalscorer, he wasn't going to be a key player for Aberdeen so moving to the conference maybe isn't quite as bad a sign as it otherwise could have been if it was a first-choice player choosing to move between the leagues.

In terms of finances in general, I think the majority of clubs in the top flight in Scotland are reasonably well run now and if that means they can't afford to compete with the over-inflated wages down south then so be it. I know Aberdeen are debt free (until they take a mortgage on a new stadium, but that's different from losing money on the day-to-day running of the club) and have a sustainable wage structure.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surprised you haven’t got anything to say about the OP soon as you are normally very vocal when it comes to players moving in between Scottish and English leagues

Really, can't think of any other than Tierney/Celtic knocking back a cheap £25m offer from some EPL team.

Nothing different from Rooney going to Salford than the Ipswich and England captain moving to Rangers. Players move for better money shocker.
I don't recall Rooney making too many starting line ups at Aberdeen last season, when he was fit he was used a lot as an 80th minute sub. His star is definitely becoming dimmer.

BTW Scottish league is doing very nicely at the mo...….record attendance figures last season.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
DCB, I don't know what he would be on at Aberdeen but the talk is he is on £4k a week at Salford and probably gets bonuses on top of that relating to promotion through the leagues, all very achievable based on the money being thrown at the club. Aged 30, this may be his last decent pay day. His days of ambition are probably over and it is about getting the best for his family now.

I totally agree with your point about younger players though. Far too many, not just in Scotland, move clubs before they are ready and then stall, rot and disappear. Timing the move is so key but money seems to take over rather than looking long term.

He was on £4k a week at the Dons (if I'm allowed to call us that?), he's getting £6k from Salford. Dons got £375k for our third choice striker last season, I'd say we're happy enough.

D

Deleted member 18588

The problem is that many in England do not appreciate the scale of things.

As DfT says SPL average attendances are up but if the two Glasgow giants are excluded then the next best supported Club is Hearts and their average would only be the 15th largest in the Championship in England.

Even those Championship clubs receive more in TV revenue than those in the SPL.

Hardly surprising, therefore, that the latter group struggle to compete in the market

But importantly they are, in the main, living within their means.

D

Deleted member 18588

He was on £4k a week at the Dons (if I'm allowed to call us that?), he's getting £6k from Salford. Dons got £375k for our third choice striker last season, I'd say we're happy enough.

According to Willie Miller he wasn't on £4k per week at Aberdeen but he will now be at Salford.

When he was at Birmingham he looked to be the slowest striker in the game and certainly struggled at Championship level.