Scotland v England...that final game.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
First of all, well done you Englanders, you came, you won, now get back down south and don’t come back till next year.

On Friday Tommo and Madandra pulled the rabbit out of the hat against big Vig and Tincup, who incidently, needs a good slap for playing so well. I was merely caddying for Madandra for the first 8 holes. When I eventually fell off his back, I spanked in a good iron at 9 , just missing my 2. Tommo then shot one over par for the back nine culminating in a nice birdie putt on 17, Goswicks road hole, to seal the match. That was close, too close. If Tincup’s short game was better we could have been in trouble while Vig played a belter of a shot into a few feet at 13 to snatch the NTH prize from his partner Tincup, who 60 seconds earlier stuck his shot inside the marker. Without any doubt the turning point of this match was when Madandra played a truly awesome sand shot from the side of the bunker on 7 He called the shot and hit it stone dead. Fluke…my arse, it was a belter and it got me going.

The second day was different as I played with sub Stuart Martin from Dunbar. When I heard the draw I thought good, Tincup again, he just cant play as good as he did yesterday…..how wrong was Tommo. Stuart is a big hitting 5 HC golfer who can blow hot n cold and if he’s hot he can blow scratch golfers away. The unknown for me was Prove-one- kanobi, a Scotsman who was getting 9 shots. Somehow I knew being last was going to be vital.

Personally, I was worse than Friday, hardly hitting a shot in the first nine and when I did, Stuart did the same. We were leaking the odd single point and by the time I shanked one into the trees at the 9th and Stuart knifed his little pitch across the green to the fence I knew we were in deep $hit. We lost two points at the 9th and now we were 5 points down. Not insurmountable, but Tincap was playing a blinder and was clearly up all night practicing his putting on the carpet. Prov-ones-a-jobbie was using his strokes well and rarely screwed up when he had one in hand. Holes 10 and 11 passed and it was then that things got interesting when I managed a par, yes a par, at 12 after fluffing my second shot as well. 13 and I hit the green but Tincan stiffed his little chip and Tommo just missed the 2 that I knew had to drop. 14 and Stuart hit his drive that far that he caught the bunker that isn’t even distance marked in the strokesaver. The bunkers 85 from the green so Stuarts hit it over 300 yards and god knows where it would have went if the bunkers didn’t get it. I hit my 7 iron right down the pipe into 5 feet and get my birdie. At 15 Stuart then hits his wedge into 18 inches and we bag another birdie, but we’re only pulling back one shot at a time and we’re running out of holes.

At the par 5 17th we both hit short of the green, Stuart tries a wee runner over the road and it runs past the hole just missing the pin. I try a little stunner but it doesn’t check that much and runs past Stuarts ball. Tommo sinks a 25/30 footer for another birdie, but Provee-ones-aknobie gets his par with his stroke. That was a killer and other than us hitting the par 4 last with our tee shots we needed both Tinsel and Provee-Mr-blobby to blow up. Stuart hits a screamer but it runs into the left hand greenside bunker and Tommo hits his level with the right hand bunker but the pin is just over the bunker. We need to chip in and I lobbed one over the pin sinking the 10 foot downhiller for another birdie…………all too late. Seriously guys Tincup played a blinder, better than Friday by a fair margin and Provee just used his shots wisely and backed up TC the odd time he didn’t make it.

Ah, but after all this I have to question Provees allegiance to England. He was trying way too hard and he must have been made a noble and promised lands in the north. Not since William Wallace has this happened and I can only say that Provee needs to be taken to Edinburgh castle, without trial done for treason by DCB, hung drawn and quartered and his head needs to be nailed to the railway crossing at the entrance to Goswick golf club as a deterrent.

Anyway, a great couple of days with you guys and a big thanks to all who made this happen…you all know who you are and I really appreciate what you’ve done.

PS, Don’t put me against TC again and I declare the whole job null and void.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is what we want! A full blow by blow account of what was surely an epic match. In the end the result was crucial and that imaginary trophy wings it's way back South.

DCB got it right putting out our Mr Reliable in the anchor match but some days you just get up against the ropes and there's no way back. Nae luck in spite of all those lovely birdies.

As always, Tommo tried his best. Sadly this time it wasn't enough.

Well done that man, though.

DCB

Visit site
Thommo, Just found out that Tincup's grandpa's dog was Scottish so he can play for us next time.

Well it works for the football team so... ;)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
This is what we want! A full blow by blow account of what was surely an epic match. In the end the result was crucial and that imaginary trophy wings it's way back South.

DCB got it right putting out our Mr Reliable in the anchor match but some days you just get up against the ropes and there's no way back. Nae luck in spite of all those lovely birdies.

As always, Tommo tried his best. Sadly this time it wasn't enough.

Well done that man, though.

Cheers John, I just couldnt get going in the first 9 both days, yet on saturday I played the last 5 or 6 holes like a plus golfer.

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow tommo that is one epic write up and one that just about sums up the overall match perfectly.
It was a pleasure been involved in the two great games over the two days and i think honours even was probably a fair result over the two days. (there was no way I was losing again on the saturday ha ha).
On the friday though there was a stretch of maybe 5 or 6 holes starting with the 7th where me and Vig where favourites for the hole and I even said to him a couple of times, we have got them here, only for yourself or Madandra to play some exquisite shot from nowwhere and leave us staring down the barrell.
Thanks once again for the company and I will see you next year